Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#810137 05/12/24 02:43 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Another instrumental from me. See what you think? Thanks for listening, and for any and all comments!

Flight of the Heart

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Flight of the Heart - 12 May 2024
File:Flight of the Heart - 12 May 2024.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 70, Length (m:s)=3:53
No intro. 64 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 64. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Song is saved with bar changes for Volume Changes,
Style is _MYSTERY.STY (Mystery Cinema Songwriter Ballad)

RealTracks in style: ~902:Bass, Electric, SmoothCool Sw16 075
RealTracks in style: 3791:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm CinematicMelancholy Sw16 060
RealTracks in style: 2779:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm SongwriterSwingBalladBrent Sw16 065
RealTracks in style: 2779:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm SongwriterSwingBalladBrent Sw16 065
RealTracks in style: 1543:Synth Pad, PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealDrums in style:FolkModernSw16^01-a:Snare, Hihat , b:Snare, Ride

Mastered in Mixcraft Pro Studio 10. I added a little EQ sharpening (preset), to make it all more transparent and clear in texture.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely - classic JDS progressions/changes.
Personally I think the bass & drums are too loud.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
James,

My first immediate thought on hitting play is that it's bit too much too soon. That is, you have the synth, bass and panned acoustics starting all at once. It strikes me as an abrupt start. I would prefer (and, hey, this is all subjective right?) that there be a little more build on the opening. Maybe start with one acoustic panned left, and the bass . . . and at some point shortly thereafter have the second guitar come in, and then the synth. The drums come in at just the right point for me, which embodies the kind of build I'm suggesting. It's just a thought. Love the change up at 1:50 or so, where you drop the drums and quiet things down. It's the ebb and flow of sound that keeps the listener engaged, and you have a lot of those elements in this mix. I'd try to embrace it more.

But all that aside, it's a darn good instrumental as it stands. Well done!!!

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ray and Deej: thank you! I've been messing around with the volume buttons, on each separate track - the other day - until I almost went (figuratively) blue in the face, Ray ... so I'll give it another shot smile Deej: absolutely spot on, I think. The beginning is not only kind of abrupt, on a fresh listen, but - if I start like that, it has nowhere to go. So: I'll deal with these modifications later in the week, when I'll have some time to sit down at the computer, once more ... but just wanted, in the meantime, to say thanks - your comments are noted, and will be worked upon smile

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
James, funny, this sounds like you even though your voice is missing. Ray and Deej have much finer ears than I do, so I'll defer to them on the mix. I think it's a lovely instrumental and sets a pleasant, peaceful tone (as do most of your songs). I'll mention that to my ears this pad doesn't sound great at times with the quarter note chord changes, so you MIGHT want to hold the chord on the pad while the other instruments change. Or not. Enjoyed your song!

DC Ron
BiaB Audiophile
Presonus Studio One
StudioCat DAW dual screen
Presonus Faderport 16
Too many guitars (is that a thing?)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
James,

I'll second what Ron said - this absolutely sounds like you. It has your touch and feel. Love the progression, and choice of tracks. Mix and arrangement is subjective, but it works for me.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by rsdean
James,

I'll second what Ron said - this absolutely sounds like you. It has your touch and feel. Love the progression, and choice of tracks. Mix and arrangement is subjective, but it works for me.

Bob

I agree also.
This has your signature chord progressions all over it.
Its funny that I can hear your voice even though you are not singing. I guess I'm just weird!
Great song James.

My goal this weekend is to move just enough each day so that no one pokes me to see if I'm dead or not.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ron: good thought re: holding the chord on the pad. I'll see what I can do with it smile I'm not sure how good this song of mine is, i.e. whether it's worth re-working, but ... I'll listen again, and give it a shot, I think smile Thanks for listening!

Bob: thanks so much!

Mario: haha, re: hearing my voice sing, though it's not there. Marty said something similar, so you're not the only one, lol wink but, seriously, thanks ... don't know about weird, but you are certainly kind.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, James.

Sounds like you're signature chords, all right. smile

However... I have trouble following them - it feels like the progression is going one direction, and then suddenly pivots to another.

Some of the transitions are... bad, like at 1:51 where BiaB seems to just fade out one chord, and fade in another, like the tape was spliced. That happens a lot in the beginning of the song. It's usually not that bad when it only happens to one instrument, but when it happens to a couple, it really stands out.

While it's pleasant to listen to, it feels to me that it's just not crafted enough. My ear wants to hear something more structured than just chords strung together, such as a melody. Without that, it lacks that feeling of journey that a good song takes me on.

But that's just me and my expectations. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Sweet signature sounds from someone so gifted at creating them. Your changes always grab me, James. These are so quick in movement and sometimes land unexpectedly, yet so appropriately placed. You make magic in music, and I am always wowed in audience.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
David C: for what it's worth, I think you're (mostly wink ) right. It's not my best work, this one. And yes, there is a particularly bad chord progression at some point, during it (where it goes unxpectedly into D major again), where I think I just wrote down the wrong chord, full stop. So ... this will go under the: "experiments" folder, for now, until I deal with it, at least. It has potential, and I disagree that a melody is always needed, but this one does need a little more crafting, as you say - that much, I agree with smile Thanks for your honest and perceptive comments smile

Marty: you're kind. Extremely kind smile Thank you so much. As I wrote above, to David, I was more or less experimenting with this one, and it shows. But ... the next one, which I hope to post soon, will hopefully be a different matter, haha. Not saying more, for now, in case I jinx it, haha, but ... let's see smile Thanks so much, once more!

P.S. I've just noticed your kind comment on YouTube, Marty ... thank you, and shhhh!!! haha smile That one will be ready for posting, soon ... as soon as I add some more reverb on the trumpet, perhaps? smile

Last edited by musician17; 05/16/24 07:09 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
lovely song James. Very cool chord progressions. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Italian for Windows is Here!

Ci siamo dati da fare e abbiamo aggiunto oltre 50 nuove funzionalità e una straordinaria raccolta di nuovi contenuti, tra cui 222 RealTracks, nuovi RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, Playable RealTracks Set 3, Playable RealDrums Set 2, due nuovi set di "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 e altro ancora!

Tutti Pacchetti | Nuove Caratteristiche

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 French for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 apporte plus de 50 fonctions nouvelles ainsi qu'une importante de contenus nouveaux à savoir : 222 RealTracks, des RealStyles nouveaux, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Etudes d'Instruments, des Prestations d'Artistes, des "Morceaux avec Choeurs", un Set 3 de Tracks Jouables, un Set 2 de RealDrums Jouables, deux nouveaux Sets de "RealDrums Stems", des Styles XPro PAK 6, des Xtra Styles PAK 17 et bien plus encore!

Tous Packages | Nouvelles Fonctionnalités

Video: Making a Song with Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V

Take your Band-in-a-Box® project to a whole new level when you incorporate ChatGPT and Synth V to add lyrics and vocals to your song!

We wanted to demonstrate how this is done with our video, where we show you how to go from nothing to a finished "radio ready" modern pop song by combining the features of Band-in-a-Box®, ChatGPT, and Synth V!

Listen to the finished song, so you get a listen to the finished product: https://demos.pgmusic.com/misc/behindthefame.m4a

If you like it, watch the video. Either way, let's hear your comments!

Henry Clarke: Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function

One of the new features added with Band-in-Box® 2024 is the Tracks Window, which will look familiar if you've worked with other DAWs.

Henry Clarke explains why he loves the Re-generation function within the Tracks Window in their video Revolutionize Your Band-in-Box® Tracks with Regenerating Function.

Watch video.

Learn even more about what the Tracks Window can do with our video Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Tracks Window.

User Video: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box®

The Bob Doyle Media YouTube channel is known for demonstrating how you can creatively incorporate AI into your projects - from your song projects to avatar building to face swapping, and more!

His latest video, Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box, he explains in detail how you can use the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box with ACE Studio. Follow along as he goes from "nothing" to "something" with his Band-in-a-Box MIDI Melodist track, using ACE Studio to turn it into a vocal track (or tracks, you'll see) by adding lyrics for those notes that will trigger some amazing AI vocals!

Watch: Next-Level AI Music Editing with ACE Studio and Band-in-a-Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 German for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 für Windows Deutsch ist verfügbar!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung neuer Inhalte hinzugefügt, darunter 222 RealTracks, neue RealStyles, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, "Songs with Vocals" Artist Performance Sets, abspielbare RealTracks Set 3, abspielbare RealDrums Set 2, zwei neue Sets von "RealDrums Stems", XPro Styles PAK 6, Xtra Styles PAK 17 und mehr!

Paket | Was ist Neu

Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,917
Posts738,814
Members38,616
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
NETH TANYANG, Jim Gear, gdl68, that_bear_there, TwoHandsDown
38,616 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 162