PG Music Home
Posted By: therealex Stereo drums? - 04/29/23 03:46 PM
I tried searching for this, but can't find any posts. I noticed that the drums in BIAB seem to be mono, or at least everything is panned to the center. I've been using stems and inserting them into my DAW so I can pan the hi hat and toms.

But since BIAB has gotten so incredibly sophisticated, I'm thinking I'm just missing something obvious. Any thoughts?

Thanks very much!

- Russ
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Stereo drums? - 04/29/23 04:28 PM
I believe all drum mixes are stereo, though I believe individual drum stems are mono so you do your own mix.

Could it be that you have the mono checkbox checked in the notation view?
Posted By: musocity Re: Stereo drums? - 04/29/23 06:23 PM
Most of the stems of a RealDrum are mono but the overheads and room are stereo but Biab loads them as mono tracks.
If you are using wav files you can drag the source into the DAW but most DAW's won't take wma.

If you use Reaper you can generate up the Stereo or Stem wav/wma/aiff/m4a RealDrums with mono and stereo track directly in Reaper.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=260677

ReaTrak-biab-drums-gui-audio-demos.zip

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mu71bmk1d2a8hf/Reaper-Biab-Drums-GUI.mp4?dl=0

Posted By: rayc Re: Stereo drums? - 04/29/23 07:36 PM
Most are stereo, some are mono and, as I discovered a week ago, some overhead tracks are mono too, (well, at least one is anyway). I am using seven stems in a song currently and the stereo image was hard to achieve because of the o'head track.
RealDrums in Song: PopRock16ths^
Rather annoying really as there are, aside from the hihat track, no separate cymbals.
Posted By: musocity Re: Stereo drums? - 04/29/23 11:22 PM
If I inject them into Reaper I get the original source file in stereo or mono no matter what it shows in Biab:

Attached picture BB23-Stems-Reaper.gif
Posted By: rayc Re: Stereo drums? - 05/03/23 10:30 PM
Originally Posted By: musocity
If I inject them into Reaper I get the original source file in stereo or mono no matter what it shows in Biab:

That's interesting.
I did check my preferences before exporting and there was nothing that should result in a mono file - in fact the organ track that was exported as part of the song was in stereo.
I'll play around with a few other things then.
Thanks.
Posted By: musocity Re: Stereo drums? - 05/04/23 02:20 AM
If I recall correctly it used to bring all the stems in as stereo but now they are all mono, I think they will get it fixed to have mono if mono and stereo if stereo.
If you drag the source stems into Reaper you will see what's what.

If you use the above BB Drums script in Reaper it will give full editing control of all the sections rather than a single consolidated wav that you can't edit.
You can edit the stereo track how you like then convert it to stems with one click giving you the same sections as the edited stereo drums track.

I don't know if they have added the shots, holds n pushes to the stems yet ???
© PG Music Forums