PG Music Home
Posted By: Frans Brink Backup? - 04/06/10 10:11 AM
What happens if I, for some reason, lose the contens on my BiaB-harddrive?
Can I make a backup on another HD?

"the jinx"
Posted By: rharv Re: Backup? - 04/06/10 11:59 AM
Most of us have done so.
Posted By: Frans Brink Re: Backup? - 04/06/10 02:27 PM
OK, just wanted to know that it was OK and not interfearing with any copyrights.

"mr. blue eyes"
Posted By: plotzie Re:HD Backup to new HDD problem - 04/28/10 11:57 AM
I have tried to make a backup of my BB2010 HDD to another HDD.
All well until I want to install from the new backup HD
Error message says-Cannot find/or problems with datalist.asc
then... exception EOS error in module BIAB setup.exe at 0000D591. A call to an OS function failed

PLs help regrds
Posted By: jford Re:HD Backup to new HDD problem - 04/28/10 02:44 PM
The problem is that datalist.asc is a hidden file. You need to go to folder options and uncheck the box to hide hidden and system file. You can then copy that file over to your backup copy.

Also, unless you copied from the root folder to the root folder, the installation won't work either. For example, lets say you copied from the BB USB hard drive to a larger USB hard drive, but saved everything under a folder called E:\Backup\BIAB2010. The BB folder on the original drive is now located at E:\Backup\BIAB2010\BB and the installation program is at E:\Backup\BIAB2010.

There are two options (well maybe more, but these work for me) to install from that different location.

1) If you are running XP or Vista, open a command prompt ("Start, Run, then type "CMD" and press ENTER). Create a substituted drive letter that remaps the root folder of your backup drive by typing:

SUBST X: E:\Backup\BIAB2010

This will create an X: drive that remaps the root folder to BIAB2010. If you look at the X: drive, you will now see that the BB folder in the root folder of X:, rather than under E:\Backup\BIAB2010. You can now install the software.

When you are done, you can remove the drive letter by typing:

SUBST X: /d

2) If you are running WIndows 7 64-bit, the above method doesn't work (well, it didn't for me on the two machines I tried it on). I don't know about Windows 7 32-bit, but method 2 works for Windows 7, XP, and Vista. It just takes a few more steps.

a) Right click on the folder BIAB2010 folder (found at E:\Backup\BIAB2010). Select "Properties" and then go to the sharing tab. Share the folder and give it a name such as BB or BIAB2010. You can also click on Permissions and set the permissions to full rights, if you wish. Once that's done (it happens immediately on Windows 7 and Vista, but takes awhile on XP), it should show you the full share name including your computer's machine name. Copy this information down (for example, it might show \\MyDellPC\BIAB2010).

b) Go to the command prompt as instructed previously and now enter:

net use X: \\MyDellPC\BIAB2010

This will create an X: drive that remaps the root folder to BIAB2010. If you look at the X: drive, you will now see that the BB folder in the root folder of X:, rather than under E:\Backup\BIAB2010. You can now install the software.

When you are done, you can remove the drive letter by typing:

net use X: /d

I hope this helps anyone trying to do this.
Posted By: joemardo1 Re:HD Backup to new HDD problem - 04/28/10 08:26 PM
John, this seems to work for me on windows 7 and also xp.
I made 2 backups one onto an external drive Q (hooked up to computer) and an internal drive R. Just copied the files over from the PG drive. I have 2 shortcuts on desktop and in properties for each band in a box I have start in R:|bb or Q:|\bb with target set to
R:\bb\bbw.exe or Q:\bb\bbw.exe. I have done the same for realband. The R drive I use only for win 7 the Q one for xp though I can open both in any of the OS I think it makes sense to let each OS have its own settings.

Seems to have woked ok so far and the PG drive is in a safe place in case something goes wrong.

Joe
Posted By: jford Re:HD Backup to new HDD problem - 04/28/10 09:55 PM
As I stated,

Quote:

Also, unless you copied from the root folder to the root folder, the installation won't work

it works fine as long as the drive file structure on both drives is the same (i.e. R:\bb and Q:\bb). However, if you copy everything to a lower level subfolder (which I do, because I have a 1.5TB drive with all my installation files backed up into logical subfolders), then the installation program didn't work (at least in my tests on two different computers). Using SUBST or NET USE solved that problem. But yes, if you back it up using the exact same folder structure (and make sure you include the hidden file), then the installation program works fine. I was just trying to cover multiple scenarios.
Posted By: plotzie Re:HD Backup to new HDD problem - 04/29/10 11:13 AM
Success!! thanx for you advice re hidden file
Plotzie
Posted By: John Conley Re:HD Backup to new HDD problem - 04/29/10 11:50 AM
I also discovered don't leave it on the driveway and do a backup. Bad news. Corrupts the minds of the neighbours kids.
Posted By: raymb1 Re:HD Backup to new HDD problem - 04/30/10 01:06 AM
After I uncheck the hidden files, where do I find the datalist.asc file? I can't find it anywhere. Later, Ray

Ok. I found it on the external HD. I was looking for it on my PC HD.
Posted By: Kweeveen Re:HD Backup to new HDD problem - 05/04/11 01:07 PM
Hi,
I just got Audiophile 2011. I am on Win 7. I am scared to install it until I have a back-up copy. That involved buying another 1TB HD. I figured if I copy the files before doing any installation, life might be a little easier.
When I go to copy the files do I have to Control Panel of my PC and click folder options to un-hide hidden files? Or does that advice apply only to those who have already installed and already uncompressed the installation files. If so, will that un-hide all files on all drives including the original BiaB Audiophile HD?

PS: Which installation option do you think is best for a non-dedicated PC?

Thx!
Posted By: Kweeveen Re:HD Backup to new HDD problem - 05/04/11 03:06 PM
Here is the official PG Music solution I was given...

Welcome to PG Music, Alyssa will be right with you.

Alyssa

How may I help you today?

Visitor

Hi,
I just got Audiophile 2011. I am on Win 7. I am scared to install it until I have a back-up copy. That involved buying another 1TB HD. I figured if I copy the files before doing any installation, life might be a little easier. Is there a preferred method to
back-up the installation files?

Alyssa

Just have both hd's plugged into the computer and then run the setup file for the 2011 Band-in-a-Box Audiophile. Select the option to install the entire contents to the other external hard drive.

Visitor

That's a great plan! I appreciate it.

Visitor

What about this idea?..Just copy all of the install contents to the new drive

Alyssa

You won't want to just copy the files. You need to run the installer for this to work.

Visitor

You mean I can't just drag and drop to the new drive..even if nothing has been installed or uncompressed?

Alyssa

No, you can not. You need to run the installer. DO NOT drag and drop. That will break your audiophile and won't install to the new drive.
Posted By: Leon Carpenter Re:HD Backup to new HDD problem - 05/05/11 10:24 PM
With a sony vista laptop, I have usbed the BIAB 2010.5 Everything Pak. in J + a 500 GB Seagate in G. Opened the BIAB hd, Mouse the BB and drag it to the Seagate. Every file was transfered perfectly. I can operate each hd at will. I didn't install either to the pc. The 2011 update was installed on both HD's. I can hook either hd to the other sony lap top and it works fine. Leon
© PG Music Forums