PG Music Home
Posted By: KeyedUp Need Help with Programming Synth - 07/24/10 04:21 AM
Hi Gang,

I have BIAB 2010.5 with an M-Audio KeyRig 49, using the Roland TTS-1 synth that comes with Cakewalk Music Creator 5.

I can change the synth sounds in MC5, using the same pop-up console you get in BIAB when you click the DXi synth button. The problem is, it won't let me edit from within BIAB, only MC5. Is there a tutorial somewhere that will help me in getting the TTS-1 to work with BIAB? Again, in MC5 I can edit and add any sound available to me, but not in BIAB.

Thanks!

Greg in Orlando
Posted By: jazzband Re: Need Help with Programming Synth - 07/24/10 04:43 PM
Hi

You should not have to set up TTS-1 in BIAB as it does it automaticly you set your style and BIAB will load what ever instrument is needed
any GM synth will do this like all the creative soundcards,coyote,microsoft synth,this is why useing this type of synth makes useing BIAB so easy you have no work to do it just plays

regards Dave Hoskins
Posted By: CarlosEArellano Re: Need Help with Programming Synth - 07/24/10 09:27 PM
Hi Greg,

It seem BiaB are reseting your TTS-1 tweaks and edits. Like Dave quoted, Band-in-a-Box by default manage automatically the program changes for each song and style, by sending GM/XG standard messages, it include setting of song, style and drum patch and Volume changes. In this by default state, you can send program changes to your synth using the table in Preferences/MIDI Settings/General MIDI Patch List. But if you want to make a personal choice of patches in your synth others than BiaB does, enter in Preferences/MIDI Options and enable/disable the respective controls. Otherwise any patch/edit selection you make will be lost when re-playing the song. This way will let you, for example, to configure a complete different set of instruments at your likes, including new pan, volumes , chorus, reverb setting.
For more advanced use, let us say, Synth edition parameters like ADSRL curves and others internal programing related tweaks, you will need a synth editor, stand alone or like the ones bundled in some DAW, which is beyond the purpose for which Band-in-a-Box was designed.

regards
Carlos
Posted By: silvertones Re: Need Help with Programming Synth - 07/24/10 09:29 PM
I have full access to TTS-1 from within BIAB
Posted By: jim111 Re: Need Help with Programming Synth - 07/25/10 02:42 AM
Hi Greg,
If you are editing your sounds, those edits are going into memory only and will be lost when you rewind (I think), or at the very least when you reload. It's a bit involved, but if you're determined to do it, this is the only work around I know of.

First get all your instruments loaded. Then, just for safety, in biab, open preferences and hit the midi options button. Turn off all program change messages there and close out. Now you can edit your sounds to get them as you want, then save them by doing a save bank from the tts-1. I suggest using part of your song name to name the bank as this will help identify it later on. Now save your song in a folder named in some way to identify it as needing a bank loaded when you open that song. (lol sounds worse than it is). Instead, you could use the info pop-up in biab to note that the song needs bank xxx loaded. I've used this some with SampleTank. It should work just as well for the tts-1. Hope this helps,

Jim

ps. here is a good article on the tts-1 if you haven't read it. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun05/articles/sonartech.htm
Posted By: rharv Re: Need Help with Programming Synth - 07/25/10 11:35 AM
Thanks for the article link.

That looks to be a lot like the synth that was built into the old RAP-10 audio production suite from Roland. I still miss working with that one. I actually found a system with an ISA slot so I could try to regain that synth! Didn't work, needs 16 bit system ...

http://www.squest.com/Windows/Instruments/RolandRAP-10/index.html
Posted By: KeyedUp Re: Need Help with Programming Synth - 07/26/10 12:10 AM
Thanks for all the help, guys. I'm away from my setup right now, but I'll use this info once I'm back at it.

G
© PG Music Forums