PG Music Home
Posted By: GaryL regenerate midi bass? - 08/06/10 02:25 AM
Hi,

Can someone tell me the best way to regenerate a midi bass part for the following. In a song that has 3 chorus parts. I want to change 2 measures of bass notes in chorus 2. It would be nice to keep it in the same style but if I have to change the style, no problem. I guess I could write in the bass notes but I would like to hear what BIAB can do. I opened it in real tracks but can't figure out how to get in to the 2nd chorus or what to do next.

Thanks!
Posted By: Mac Re: regenerate midi bass? - 08/06/10 02:30 AM
RB would be the easiest place to try this, no question.

But when you open a BB song in RB, you don't get choruses, the entire song is laid out along the timeline. Which is the point of RB, actually. So do the arithmetic to find out the actual bar number for your target bar in chorus 2 of the BB arrangement and then scroll in RB to that point in the Tracks View. Highlight just the number of bars you want to redo and choose the regenerate option. It must be on the proper BB engine track in RB to do this, but it should open that way anyway since it is a BB songfile. You can also do it again and again in that spot if you wish.

--Mac
Posted By: GaryL Re: regenerate midi bass? - 08/06/10 12:35 PM
Hi Mac,

I assume you're talking about the regenerate option when you right click in tracks view? When I do that at the bottom it says (none) (selected region). When I do this with RT it will say (bass) (selected region) I have the bass track highlighted. Is this the area you're talking about? I don't see regeneration in the help index.

Thanks!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: regenerate midi bass? - 08/06/10 09:28 PM
Hi Gary,

I use an alternative approach when refining the musical sound of a track. What I do is this...
  • In RB, open a style that has the bass I'm wanting.
  • Right-click on one of the unused tracks (these have "untitled" in black text).
  • Select "Generate MIDI track" >> Bass.
  • Repeat this process for two or three tracks.

The reason I do this is because it now gives me a few tracks from which I can copy and paste bars to build a single track, compiled track. It takes a little more time than simply working on two bars but when I do it this way, I find that having more choice is very beneficial. For me, the end result has always justified the little bit of extra time.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: GaryL Re: regenerate midi bass? - 08/07/10 01:07 AM
Hi,

I guess I understand what you're saying but I'm happy with all 3 chorus parts except for 2 measures in the second chorus. I was able to take your directions though and go to an empty track and generate midi bass for 2 measures. I have all tracks muted except the new midi bass and it's playing acoustic bass 33 but it has a piano sound on the higher octave notes, where is the piano coming from?

Thanks,
Gary
© PG Music Forums