PG Music Home
Posted By: dmrodes Altering guitar chord patterns - 11/11/10 01:45 PM
Working on "Here's That Rainy Day" using ZZBOSSA.STY.
I have an E7 set for a full bar, but the guitar plays an E7 to a D then back to the E7 within the bar.
The piano does not do this, so I don't want the guitar to change....
Using the Edit Current style - I mute everything but the guitar and play each pattern...
The tone is vibes (?) - so when the tone switches pitch, is this the E7 to the D?
And if so, I simply 'cut' this pattern?
The more I get into this, the more confusing it gets!!
Thanks...
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Altering guitar chord patterns - 11/11/10 09:35 PM
Try inserting another E7 where it changes to the D. It will change up the rhythm for that cell, but it should stick to the E7 chord.

Trax
Posted By: DrDan Re: Altering guitar chord patterns - 11/12/10 02:33 AM
Quote:

Working on "Here's That Rainy Day" using ZZBOSSA.STY.
I have an E7 set for a full bar, but the guitar plays an E7 to a D then back to the E7 within the bar.

The more I get into this, the more confusing it gets!!
Thanks...

Well it is not the guitarist exactly, but rather the Style which tell the guitarist to move around a bit, stepping back to the D for a little tension and then resolving back to the E (just like a real guitaris might do under the right circumstances). But obviously, not always what you want done.

The suggestion to fill the bar with E7 should work - does it??

Otherwise you could try a different style - not alway practical. Or you could freeze the track and edit the actual midi notes.

And by the way, I agree it is confusing when you actually look at what the notes the style is playing over your chords.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Altering guitar chord patterns - 11/12/10 03:59 AM
Ok, so there we are, having a post meal cocktail, a nice Drambuie and coffee, a few crumbs on the white linen table, remembering how after a nice steak it was customary to break out a cigar and the Maitre'd would come over and clip it and light it. There a few couples holding hands, the summer rain is streaking the windows with an occasional clap of thunder and you are on the keys, playing "Here's that Rainy day", and all of a sudden Oliver Gannon has the gaul to seek resolution and he throws in an extra riff.

I, in anger at the unexpected chord slap at the crumbs on the table and stomp out, I'm not having it....

You, as the leader roll you eyes at Terry Clarke and shrug your shoulders at Neil on bass.....and make a note to fire the dolt for doing that when the lead sheet does not show that at all...

Now I'm being arrested for leaving without paying...and you need a new guitar player.

Nah, guess what. Stuff happens.

Given your posts to date, I think you need another kind of software, where you input everything that goes on. Band in a Box is too loose for what you want to do, which is Total control. Bear in mind, that even if you do, and publish parts for multiple instruments, the person who purchases it will:

1. Change the tempo and cross yours out.
2. That p in bar 12 becomes an Mf.
3. Several bars have been crossed out.
4. Parts are marked in as Intro A B and someone wrote in red on the margin I A A B A B X
5. Extra chords are written in and some bass notes are added.
6. Your name is crossed out and it says Arr. J. C. 2009

Whoops.

Note: I got a leadsheet like that yesterday for "SleighBells". And the stuff in the margin got crossed out at band and changed. If it turns out OK I'll post it on Youtube in a few weeks.

In music it matters if:
1. It sounds ok.
2. You can still discuss the price of silver while the Band plays on.
3. You leave with a few melodies in your head.
4. None of the players has noticeable body odour.

Note: My new rule, made up last night at rehearsal.

If you have notes left over after the band is done playing, don't play them.

I'm still getting emails from band members laughing 24 hours later.

Posted By: Mac Re: Altering guitar chord patterns - 11/12/10 12:37 PM
Good post, John.

LOL

--Mac
Posted By: dmrodes Re: Altering guitar chord patterns - 11/12/10 02:01 PM
Appreciate your comments... and their tongue-in-cheek sarcasm... I know that 'stuff happens', but I use BIAB to avoid just that.... so there are no 'surprises' on stage from my 'band', only whatever ones I or my vocalist choose to add....

I obviously need an upgrade to 2010 or 2011, but simply cannot afford it at this point... I'm sure that would give me whatever I am currently lacking and more - with RT and RB..... I'm hoping Santa is generous this year...

Working with BIAB has been a great experience - and I am constantly learning with it - and I know I have only scratched the surface of what it is capable of.....

I don't mean to 'criticize' - rather just simply trying to understand.... having been a programmer for 20+ years, that's the way my brain works....

Thanks.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Altering guitar chord patterns - 11/13/10 12:06 AM
John, exactly what I have been thinking and seeing in a series of threads recently. I have to admit I sometimes have no idea what your are talking about, but this time uou nailed it perfect.
© PG Music Forums