PG Music Home
Posted By: Keith from Oz I'm Stuck - 08/20/11 07:37 AM
This will be long winded, so I apologise in advance, but I'm trying to be methodical.

I've bought a new desktop, and migrated from XP to Windows 7. My setup is Keyboard via Edirol UM-1X to Ketron SD2 to the computer. (this was previously working fine) I installed BIAB 2011, and then 2011.5, and then updated the Edirol drivers to be compatable with Win 7.

When I start BIAB, styles with Real Tracks work okay, and other music programs are fine. However, I'm getting no sound when I play my keyboard. The Edirol flashes with each keyboard note, as does the Ketron, but no sound is forthcoming.

In BIAB preference -> MIDI driver I have The UM-1 selected, and the same in MIDI output driver. When I run Driver Wizard, select the UM1 and try the Piano test - nothing, although both the Ketron and the Edirol flash as they should. If I select the internal soundcard, I can hear the piano scales. The only other option I have for output driver are Microsoft MIDI Mapper or Microsoft GS Wavetable synth. (for the life of me, I can't remember what I previously had it set at.)

When I go back to the XP computer to check the settings, they have disappeared, probably because I've disconnected the Edirol.

Can anyone offer suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: I'm Stuck - 08/20/11 08:08 AM
Whoops, now I'm embarrased.
The volume sliders in Win 7 were turned to zero.
How stupid am I?
Posted By: silvertones Re: I'm Stuck - 08/20/11 12:41 PM
Keith,
Not stupid at all just another example, even though we love what all the technology does for us,of the complexity of our setups getting in the way of making music.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: I'm Stuck - 08/20/11 01:06 PM
I once called the cable company to gripe about service being out only to find I had unplugged the coax cable from the HD box.

Happens all the time Keith. lol

Trax
Posted By: John Conley Re: I'm Stuck - 08/20/11 04:54 PM
The dumbest thing I think I ever did was turn on the wife's digital tuner and mess with it for about 20 minutes.

I had my Bb horn out and was trying to tune it and the stupid thing insisted I was playing a perfect A#.

I knew the horn was in Bb so I was going stupid trying for all I was worth to lip up or get to Bb.

Then, I sawer d'lite as my father would say.

Oh well, senior moment there.
Posted By: Mark1008 Re: I'm Stuck - 08/21/11 01:20 PM
Keith,

I experienced the same thing earlier this week and posted thread "Silence is NOT golden" where some of my songs would sound and others did not. Problem....ALL my instrument volumes for those particular songs were set to zero, whereas you only had one instrument set to zero.

I called it my "short between the headset" moment.

Live and learn man. The real good outcome to all of this here is that you (like me) posted the solution to our problems so that others may learn from our mistakes--uh our learning experiences.

All the best,

Mark
© PG Music Forums