PG Music Home
Posted By: ronhawker Chord Rhythms - 08/31/11 04:59 AM
I want to find out if this is possible. I have 2010.5 running on Win7. You can enter notes in notation mode and you can enter chords by entering the notes.

I common tab way of showing guitar chord rhythms is to use a chord symbol like G or Dsus above the staff and use a slash type of note symbol that doesn't have a note value as such but does have a time value so you can annotate a guitar strum rhythm with chords. The idea is to show the chord rhythm time without locking into a specific chord note set. You may voice the chord various ways but can show the rhythm it is you be played.

Is this possible in BIAB?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Chord Rhythms - 08/31/11 05:41 AM
Hi Ron,

If I'm interpreting you correctly, what you are after is something similar to the below image.

If my interpretation is correct, then BIAB's notation cannot do this as far as I know.

Sometimes what I do is to use chord symbols and a B note (or any note for that matter) on either the Melody or Soloist track to show the rhythm that I'd like the guitar player to play. See image below.

There's a definite advantage in using music notation to show strums because it allows me to show rests as well as different relative speeds using the timing of music notes.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chord Rhythms - 08/31/11 06:13 AM
Ron, I think you might asking for those ghost notes above the staff that show rhythm hits. This requires a dedicated notation program.
Posted By: Joe Marks Re: Chord Rhythms - 09/02/11 01:31 PM
He also might be asking "Can you control the rhythm played by one of the instruments such as guitar. The answer is no. The rhythm played is controlled by the style.

Two "work around" thoughts:
(1)You could enter chords and rhythms note by note on either the melody or soloist tracks.
(2)Learn to make your own styles and put the rhythms you want in the appropriate place in the sytle.
Posted By: ronhawker Re: Chord Rhythms - 09/05/11 02:52 PM
Yes, this is what I was looking for in the notation. Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I could get some more info on the idea of creating a style to do this.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chord Rhythms - 09/05/11 03:11 PM
I thought this thread was about the notation produced by BIAB, but now with the mention of a style, it seems it is about getting a certain sound. You said this is what you were looking for, but there are many posts and I'm confused to which you were referring. Could you please clarify what you are trying to accomplish and be as specific as possible?
© PG Music Forums