PG Music Home
Is it possible to copy bars from the Leadsheet or notation window to another File?
Within BB FILES, yes. Notation Window, not Leadsheet, though. Copy to clipboard, change files, paste. We can also open TWO instances of BB using the command that allows that and bop back and forth. Nice.

If you are wanting to copy and paste into a different program, read on.

Only as a .pdf document.

Musical Notation is quite often Proprietary stuff, with each program of company tending to use their own notation fonts, their own different ways of making things happen, etc.

If you explain more specifically what you want to do, perhaps there's a way to do so.

For example, exporting a BB file or parts thereof as a standard MIDI file is one way to move notation from BB to a program like Sibelius or Finale, etc. Chords won't go with it, because there is no standard for chords in MIDI really, although the Wishlist here is full of requests for the one method that seems to be the strongest. Sibelius and other programs can figure out the fake chords from the notes in the MIDI file, though.

--Mac
Thanks for responding.

I have a MIDI file and by default it uses General MIDI piano for the sound for the Melody track. I have not been able to find a way to make that GM MIDI Piano sound go away. For example, rather than GM MIDI Piano - Electric Piano. In the Synth window (upper left - black area) with the radio on melody, I change the value in the drop-down to, for example, electric piano, but the instrument for Melody still sounds like GM Piano - not a pleasing sound.

I have discovered that I can copy the chords from the main window into a new .SGU file, but the Melody track does not copy over. I wondered if there is a way to copy the melody track too, then perhaps there I could change the sound from GM MIDI Piano to something else and it would allow me to do so.
There are a few ways to do this. With whatever application you are using the midi file in (ProTracks, RealBand, etc., you will have to edit the patches and save either as another midi file or the application native file. In Protacks, BBW, Realband, load the patch map you want to use for a given track. In BBW, check the save with patches settings (and make sure the patches you want actually get to the midi file). Without that...

If you look at the midi events, you'll find that the patch/bank settings are controlling the voice/instrument for a given channel(at the beginning of the events, and perhaps at other patch changes further along). YOu can also edit that in the midi events view of most apps. Easiest way is to load the instrument map (patch map in BBW/Realband) in the application and change it. As long as the synthesizer (software or hardware) supports other than GM, your should be able to reassign patches.

Richard
Quote:

Thanks for responding.

I have a MIDI file and by default it uses General MIDI piano for the sound for the Melody track. I have not been able to find a way to make that GM MIDI Piano sound go away. For example, rather than GM MIDI Piano - Electric Piano. In the Synth window (upper left - black area) with the radio on melody, I change the value in the drop-down to, for example, electric piano, but the instrument for Melody still sounds like GM Piano - not a pleasing sound.

I have discovered that I can copy the chords from the main window into a new .SGU file, but the Melody track does not copy over. I wondered if there is a way to copy the melody track too, then perhaps there I could change the sound from GM MIDI Piano to something else and it would allow me to do so.

When loading a MIDI file into Band in a Box, tbe entire MIDI file is actually loaded into the Sequencer, which lives on the Melody Track. None of the normal Autoaccompaniment tracks have anything to do with it regardless of what they are labeled and regardless of what instruments may be in that MIDI file.

To view what's in the loaded MIDI file and change Patches, hit the big round green SEQ button from the Toolbar area to the right. There you have the Sequencer Control Window and should be able to change patches there, although some certain types of MIDI files may not respond.

Alternatively, opening the MIDI file using Realband and changing things there, then exporting to Save As a MIDI file can be a more comprehensive way to work with a MIDI file, changing things there in order to have a file that will open in BiaB the way you want to hear it.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums