PG Music Home
Posted By: lkmuller Sound module w/ BIAB? - 04/25/13 02:40 AM
Does anyone here use a sound module w/BIAB? Is it even necessary with Realtracks? I'd like to get back to doing some recording at home and need to catch up on the latest tecnology. I't been a long time since I've recorded anything. I used to be able to produce some pretty nice tracks with BIAB, Cubase and my Takamine Hirade, but it's been years and I'd like get "re-educated". Thanks.
Posted By: Mac Re: Sound module w/ BIAB? - 04/25/13 12:17 PM
Hey Lee, how's it goin' ole buddy?

If what you mean by "sound module" is an aftermarket Audio Device, then, YES, recording Audio will likely be improved by using one instead of a built in Sound Card.

The "Sound Module" term might also mean a separate hardware MIDI synth. That is a different story and may not be needed if you intend to use all or mostly all Realtracks anyway.

--Mac
Posted By: percy Re: Sound module w/ BIAB? - 04/25/13 12:55 PM
I still use my Roland SC-88 sound canvas, which is a separate midi hardware synth that Mac referred to.

The RTs serve most of my needs, but for signature licks, e.g., the intro to George Strait’s ‘Cowboy Rides Away’, I just use the intro from a midi file; all other tracks are RTs.

Percy
Posted By: lkmuller Re: Sound module w/ BIAB? - 04/25/13 02:26 PM
Thanks Mac, thanks Percy. I used an SC8850 years ago but subsequently sold it a while back. I'd import my BIAB files as midi into Cubase and substitute instruments, add strings (entered in step time), and sometimes tweak certain parts. Then I'd convert each part as an audio file and mix everything down. Very time consuming but great fun.

I'm looking forward to working with BIAB again. Waiting on a new Takamine Hirade. That's the catalyst for the renewed interest in laying down some tracks. Take care, you guys.
© PG Music Forums