PG Music Home
Posted By: Wolftone Walking bass - 10/26/13 08:59 PM
Hi folks, which jazz style has the most (or all) straight ahead walking bass
Posted By: Mac Re: Walking bass - 10/26/13 09:37 PM
Just about ALL the jazz styles have Walking Bass, Wolfone, the trick comes in knowing that the Jazz Styles "walk" the bass in the B subsection, so if you impose a B Part Marker at the beginning of the first chorus, it should walk all the way through the song.

--Mac
Posted By: Wolftone Re: Walking bass - 10/26/13 11:02 PM
Worked great, thanks!
Posted By: Graham Martin Re: Walking bass - 10/27/13 03:34 AM
You can also vary the complexity of the walking bass part by assigning an alternative RealTrack bass track to the Style - Right click on the Bass part and choose 'Assign RealTracks'. Then select from the styles available. For each style in jazz, there is normally a choice of three styles: the one automatically selected, Simple and Very Simple. The 'Very Simple' is the least enhanced bass part and normally four beats in the bar. Certainly it is the one I select just about every time for swing and modern jazz. Also the notes used will often be simpler in a harmonic sense.
Posted By: Wolftone Re: Walking bass - 10/31/13 06:39 PM
Thanks again, even though I have hundreds of real tracks and prefer Neil Swainson's bass for example (a friend and mentor also), they take too long to load on my old box, and I have a New Year song list to work on, so I just use the midi Simple jazz style, and add my own flavours to the bass line which I print out. Most styles have bass lines that are too busy, too many approach tone and ghost lines, so I just add them where I want while rehearsing. At the gig I just use a chart of chord symbols.
Posted By: Wolftone Re: Walking bass - 10/31/13 06:40 PM
Thanks again, even though I have hundreds of real tracks and prefer Neil Swainson's bass for example (a friend and mentor also), they take too long to load on my old box, and I have a New Year song list to work on, so I just use the midi Simple jazz style, and add my own flavours to the bass line which I print out. Most styles have bass lines that are too busy, too many approach tone and ghost lines, so I just add them where I want while rehearsing. At the gig I just use a chart of chord symbols.
© PG Music Forums