PG Music Home
Posted By: russ66 Nudge melody - 12/05/13 04:49 AM
Can't get my melody to nudge 1 beats earlier. I put -1 in the box to do it but it won't move. I can get it to move forward a beat, which it did, but now it is 2 beats too late. So now I put in-2 & it still stays where it is at 2 beats too late. Somebody help.
Russ66
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Nudge melody - 12/05/13 05:45 AM
Hi Russ,

Have you tried using the "Time Shift Melody" option?

You can find this by clicking on "Melody" (#1), selecting "Edit Melody Track" (#2) and then "Timeshift Melody (ticks)" (#3).

Keep in mind that 120 ticks equals one beat. Thus, if you want a beat earlier, put -120 in the dialogue box. I just tried it on a MIDI melody and it worked fine.

Hope this helps,
Noel
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Nudge melody - 12/05/13 06:05 AM
Follow Noel's advice. It actually would have moved a tiny bit with -1 or -2 but not enough for the notation to change.
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Nudge melody - 12/05/13 01:52 PM
When you enter "-1" the melody moves one 120th of a quarter note. Hardly noticeable. Try entering "120" or "-120" and you should get a whole beat's worth of shift.
Posted By: Danna Re: Nudge melody - 12/05/13 01:59 PM
Quote:
Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship!

laugh laugh
Posted By: Mac Re: Nudge melody - 12/05/13 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: russ66
Can't get my melody to nudge 1 beats earlier. I put -1 in the box to do it but it won't move. I can get it to move forward a beat, which it did, but now it is 2 beats too late. So now I put in-2 & it still stays where it is at 2 beats too late. Somebody help.
Russ66

Those numbers are MIDI TICKS, not beats.

If your BB resolution is still set to the default 120 Ticks per beat, then entering -120 would move the notes back by 1 beat.

120 Ticks per Beat.

--Mac
Posted By: russ66 Re: Nudge melody - 12/06/13 10:19 PM
Thanks to Noel96, Matt & Flatfoot. Used the edit melody dialogue using ticks instead of beats & this worked fine. But it kind of begs the question why nudge melody & or chords from the edit menu didn't work when in that dialogue it asks for beats & not ticks. I don't think the tutorial was very good at explaining it; but that's just me. Its good to know guys like you are out there to help.
On another similar topic: How do you insert a bar at a specific place in the cord sheet of an existing song without throwing off the rest of the cords & melody? I have put in a lot of songs into BAIB & now want to refine & tweek them by putting in an extra bar now and then to create a fermenta to add expression & feeling. Thanks again to all.
Russ66
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Nudge melody - 12/06/13 11:06 PM
Hi Russ,

Glad if worked for you.

I haven't played around with "Nudge" under the Edit menu. It should have worked, though. I'll put that on my list of things to check out.

In relation to inserting a bar, click on the bar after where you want the insertion and then use Edit | Insert bar. As you've noted, what's been generated is then out of alignment and the song will need generation.

If you're after a timing effect such as rit., rall., fermata, a better course of action might be to ...

1. Click on the bar you want to slow down.

2. Press F5 - to open bar settings.

3. Change the tempo to (say) -50% (this will make the tempo half of what it was: e.g. if the tempo was 100 bpm, it will become 50 bpm and thus take twice as long to play the bar.)

4. You'll need to reset the tempo in the following bar.

Hope this helps,
Noel
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Nudge melody - 12/06/13 11:30 PM
Also be aware there can be another variable affecting what you hear and see: Play, Slide Tracks.

If this is set to a large enough number, it can give you some difficulty in adjusting timings. I do use this a lot, to make an instrument play ahead of the beat, for example, by using negative numbers.
Posted By: russ66 Re: Nudge melody - 12/07/13 04:00 AM
Hey, thanks to Noel & Matt for the tips. I'm going to set about tweeking most of my songs soon. As to my original inquiry about the nudge dialogue, could it be that in order to nudge something, it has to be from the right direction? If so this would explain why it would nudge forward but not back. In order to nudge back you'd have to go to the other end of the song and nudge from that direction with the - whatever beat. I'm going to try this out. Here again, if that's true it would be nice if BAIB would have said so in the tutorial. That being said, here's a tip for anyone struggling with BAIB or new to it. Make 2 files of the same song your working on & put them in separate folders. Now don't you techy wiz kids out there laugh at me. You then can try things out on one of them, and if you get things on your song screwed up beyond fixing, you'll still have the other one. But if you are able to fix the one you're experimenting with you'll have learned something valuable. When I first got BAIB, I can't tell you how many I had to junk & start all over.
Russ66
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Nudge melody - 12/07/13 05:21 AM
Hi Russ,

This is a great piece of advice.

Quote:
Make 2 files of the same song your working on & put them in separate folders. You then can try things out on one of them, and if you get things on your song screwed up beyond fixing, you'll still have the other one. But if you are able to fix the one you're experimenting with you'll have learned something valuable. When I first got BAIB, I can't tell you how many I had to junk & start all over.

All the best,
Noel
© PG Music Forums