PG Music Home
Posted By: allanmorrow Realdrums to MIDI Drums - 01/28/15 05:09 PM
Am trying to replace Realdrums with MIDI drums. Have checked ‘Force drums track to MIDI drums’ box, selected ‘Standard Drun Kit’ under ‘Select MIDI patch’ (tried all other drum kits as well) and selected ‘Custom MIDI style for the track’.
I finish up, for example, with ‘Custom MIDI style: 41 Brushes kit (_CRSOV75.sty) ‘ on the drum track in yellow, but get no sound when trying to play it.
Can someone tell me where I’m going wrong please?
Posted By: DEddy Re: Realdrums to MIDI Drums - 01/28/15 05:40 PM
Check Prefs, Midi Driver.
Posted By: Beachboy Re: Realdrums to MIDI Drums - 01/28/15 05:55 PM
Note also that when you force drums to midi the VU meter for the drums don't work on the mixer (reported to support) so that is no indicator.
Do you have a synth loaded for the midi drum sound?
Posted By: sslechta Re: Realdrums to MIDI Drums - 01/28/15 08:15 PM
I thought I read somewhere on the forums recently that when you select that ‘Force drums track to MIDI drums’ option it just fills a generic drum track, NOT the MIDI version of the real drum track.

Someone else feel free to chime in if they know for sure.
Posted By: receder Re: Realdrums to MIDI Drums - 01/29/15 06:05 AM
Steve, yes that's also what I found. The relevant thread is here -
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=281207#Post281207

Rec
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Realdrums to MIDI Drums - 01/30/15 09:08 PM
Hi guys, I might be wrong, but that feature is just to replace the real drums with a midi drum pattern. I'm pretty sure that real drums have no midi notation to it, unlike many other instruments with the underscore line shown under their name.

Mike B
Posted By: allanmorrow Re: Realdrums to MIDI Drums - 01/31/15 05:59 PM
Many thanks for the suggestions so far.

Yes, all I want to do is replace Realdrums with midi drums, accepting that the result will be somewhat different. I'm now wondering, though, if I'm attempting the impossible in this case!

I can force, with impunity, Realdrums to midi drums (using 'Force drums to midi track') on songs that 'natively' have a Realdrum track. However, the style in question - _MOVIEST.STY StingQuart. Solo-Acc Piano[85RS]

doesn't use drums. I can add Realdrums to it and it plays them, but if I try 'Force drums to midi track' then the green text describing the Realdrums track disappears and nothing takes its place. If I then try to add a midi drum track (as described in my first post), nothing is heard.

Is anyone able to tell me please if what I'm trying to do is simply not possible with this style, or if maybe there is a way of editing it to make it do what I'd like it to!?
Posted By: rikkisbears Re: Realdrums to MIDI Drums - 01/31/15 07:12 PM
Hi
I've got the same problem with a waltz style I wanted to use.
The tracks in my case were all midi, and the real drum track for the style just didn't suit.
I haven't tried the fixes mentioned above, I'm fairly certain I should just be able to replace the real drum track with a midi drum track from another waltz style if the fixes above don't work.
Been a couple of years since I last used biab, and the style creation functions, back then the style creator allowed you to do all sorts of things.

I haven't gotten round to trying to edit the style as yet.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Realdrums to MIDI Drums - 01/31/15 08:12 PM
Hi rikki and Allan,

It's only possible to replace Realdrums with midi drums if the underlying style has a midi drum track that's part of the original style. If the base style doesn't contain initial midi drum information, no substitution is possible.

For such styles, this can be overcome by creating a hybrid style.

Using this function, it's possible to copy a midi drum track from a style that contains midi drums.

Once the copying is done, simply save the style with a new name and it's there to be used.

Hope this helps,
Noel
Posted By: rikkisbears Re: Realdrums to MIDI Drums - 02/01/15 03:26 AM
Thanks Noel,
Had a feeling might need to create style ( hybrid style, forgot what they were called, so thank you for the reminder ).
Fortunately in my case, in the Strauss waltz, i didn't like the real drum track, but midi drums do exist, and the " force drums track to midi drums" worked for me.
Wasn't aware of what that option meant, so great to find a simple solution.
Real drums aren't always the best option, sometimes they're a bit too "in your face". Haha.
Have to check out the hybrid option too, just in case I'm not as lucky next time.

Thanks Noe.
Posted By: allanmorrow Re: Realdrums to MIDI Drums - 02/01/15 08:32 AM
Noel,

Thank you. Problem solved! As I represent the worst combination of relative newbie and 'Old Codger' (63 years), it is so helpful to be able - when I come to a grinding halt - to call upon people who know the answers and are prepared to take the time and trouble to detail them.

One small point, which would be the cherry on the cake: having made a hybrid style - and this works perfectly - is it possible to change the style of the track again without re-editing the hybrid style? I can change the patch used, by right-clicking the track and selecting 'Select Midi patch', but any attempt to use 'Select Custom Midi style' for this track makes no difference. Not a 'show-stopper' as I can change hybrid style to do this, but would be more convenient if it could be done differently.

Allan
© PG Music Forums