PG Music Home
Posted By: Bonnybrook USB to use with BIAB audio - 11/30/15 09:22 AM
Hi, I got into a habit of working with BIAB recording my vocals with a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB on my older computer (Windows 7). I was a happy hermit like that --- find something that works and stick to it --- but today the signal became intermittent and several times recording stopped after a bar or two, despite the usual cable and connection checks, computer restart etc. I'm interested in ideas about the cause of this. My guess is it's not a BIAB problem but rather a USB one. If its deterioration of some kind in the Saffire 6, an additional question would be what current product to update to.

Thanks for reading,
Chris
Kobe, Japan
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: USB to use with BIAB audio - 11/30/15 09:32 AM
I recommend if you need a new interface to stay with Focusrite.

Focusrite is one of the better brands for interfaces and
Focusrite products are as good as anything else you will find. Just choose the model that best suits your needs.

As for the cause of the intermittent issue, I suspect and inspect equipment in the following order:

Cables and connections

Computer

Interface
Posted By: DrDan Re: USB to use with BIAB audio - 11/30/15 10:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Bonnybrook
My guess is it's not a BIAB problem but rather a USB one.

what makes you assume that. Recording in BIAB is not the benchmark you should be using to decide. How does the device work in other apps?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: USB to use with BIAB audio - 11/30/15 10:42 AM
Chris

if you move the Focusrite to a different USB port, does the situation change?

Are you able to test it independently on a different computer?

The process of elimination maybe helpful in deciding the cause.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: USB to use with BIAB audio - 11/30/15 11:44 AM
The Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 is a very nice unit.

About the computer, I recommend you check for malware and run a virus checker.

Then check if other programs are running in the background by using the free utility, Process Monitor, or, since it's Windows 7, the free utility DPC Latency Checker.

Does the Saffire 6 have ASIO drivers, and did you recently adjust the buffer setting?
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: USB to use with BIAB audio - 11/30/15 01:06 PM
I have a Focusrite 4i4 and am happy with it. I just bought this for my son who does podcasts.. Nice clean sounding unit that is totally USB powered. Good deal at the price.

http://us.store.music-group.com/products/behringer-umc202hd?variant=9677437635
Posted By: PhillyJazz Re: USB to use with BIAB audio - 11/30/15 01:08 PM
The next thing I'd do .. (you did the right first steps) would be to delete it from Device Manager (including the drivers) and re-install from scratch. It could be corruption in the software.
Posted By: Bonnybrook Re: USB to use with BIAB audio - 12/01/15 12:27 AM
Thanks to all you kind folks who took the time to answer. There's lots to try based on your comments and useful suggestions for a new purchase. This is a great community. Very grateful.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: USB to use with BIAB audio - 12/01/15 12:42 AM
Correction: I said Process Monitor. I meant Latency Monitor.
Posted By: Bonnybrook Re: USB to use with BIAB audio - 12/01/15 01:48 AM
Thanks, Matt. Got that
© PG Music Forums