PG Music Home
When I drag a WAV instrument part into Sonar the pitch gets changed. There's a thread on the Sonar forum about this, and I'm convinced Sonar is doing it, but I just wondered if anyone else had come across it?

John
That does seem odd, John, and I haven't experienced this.

It seems unlikely that BIAB is at fault as it does not create Acidized files that would even react to the pitch on the receiving end. I must have missed that in the SONAR forum.

EDIT: I just read that thread. It appears there is a setting that was turned on in SONAR, and I think it's off by default.
Posted By: Skyline Re: WAV parts dragged into Sonar re-pitched - 01/06/16 07:25 PM
Thanks Matt.
I'm waiting for a resolution on the Sonar forum because as I said in my post there I've done this operation scores of times over the years and yesterday got this problem. Sonar's first reaction (as with all programming types...) is to be in denial. But they've changed SOMETHING, and I've changed nothing in terms of options etc.

John
Posted By: Skyline Re: WAV parts dragged into Sonar re-pitched - 01/07/16 06:36 AM
Well, over on the Sonar forum yoda Craig Anderton has responded aggressively to me saying it's BIAB's fault, that their new feature for 2016 of "You can now write Acidized information to the audio file." is responsible.

Could someone from PG weigh in here at all to clarify? I wasn't aware I'd selected any option to drag an 'Acidized' WAV file from BIAB. Have I fallen victim to a default setting of some kind?

I don't mind being called an idiot on a forum but not when I feel I've done nothing with my software to warrant that.

John
Posted By: Noel96 Re: WAV parts dragged into Sonar re-pitched - 01/07/16 08:29 AM
Hi John,

I know that Realband has the option to save acidized information whenever a wav is saved. I'm not sure about BIAB in this regard but I do remember reading about it. You've given me a reason to have a play around.... I'll get back to you!

Happy New Year!
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: WAV parts dragged into Sonar re-pitched - 01/07/16 08:38 AM
Hi again,

Because I don't have Sonar, I'm guessing a bit here... I suspect it's a combination of BIAB and Sonar that's creating the effect.

I take it that you drag directly from BIAB to Sonar without going through the dropbox. If that is the case, the audio file might be rendered using the render dialogue information. This has a checkbox to include Acid information.

Have a look in the Audio menu and then choose "Render to Stereo WAV". Down on the right of the window that pops up is an option to "Include Acid Info".... see if that has a tick in the checkbox. I think this is 'on' by default but once it is deactivated, the option stays deactivated.

Let's know how it goes.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: jford Re: WAV parts dragged into Sonar re-pitched - 01/07/16 08:40 AM
So, this may or may not work. By default, the ACIDIZE setting in BIAB is on. I would try turning it off and seeing if that solves the problem.

Just click on the "WAV" button in the topline toolbar, then select "Save all tracks as WAV file (with options)". When the screen comes up, uncheck the "ACIDIZE" checkbox.

If you do check the "DEFAULTS" button (to set everything back to defaults, you will notice that the ACIDIZE checkbox gets turned back on.

I could be wrong, but it makes me wonder if when BIAB generates WAV files (and doesn't give you the option of making these settings, as happens when you drag and drop), that it is using these settings to create the WAV file.

It's worth a try to see if this solves the problem.

Attached picture Acidize 1.jpg
Attached picture Acidize 2.jpg
Attached picture Acidize 3.jpg
Posted By: Noel96 Re: WAV parts dragged into Sonar re-pitched - 01/07/16 08:58 AM
ahhh... a different path to the same option I mentioned... thanks for the information, John.
I was the OP in the Sonar group. The issue has been resolved. Both BIAB and Sonar at "fault" IMO. If you can call it a fault.

"Include ACID info" should be off as a default in BIAB IMO but it is on.

"Default Groove Clip Pitch" should be "None" in Sonar IMO but it is set to C as the default.

Either, or both changes would fix the problem.

In any case, now we know and it's not a big deal.
Posted By: Skyline Re: WAV parts dragged into Sonar re-pitched - 01/07/16 01:18 PM
Thanks Thom! This totally sums up the situation.

I searched in BIAB Help for 'Acid' and I couldn't find the 'secret' new default so excellently described above by John (many thanks John for laying it out so clearly!)

I have to let Sonar off the hook here. BIAB introduced this new feature and configured what they thought to be the better of two defaults. It's this that legged us both up. I've now switched the option to 'no Acid info' and all works as it used to.

But I agree, although it didn't matter before, the inbound WAV drag option in Sonar really ought to be 'none', or at least there should be a parameter switch somewhere.

laugh

John
I need to go and check both of these. Thanks, John.
Posted By: P Glaser Re: WAV parts dragged into Sonar re-pitched - 01/07/16 03:16 PM
Thanks guys. Good to know.
Originally Posted By: EFaaT
I was the OP in the Sonar group. The issue has been resolved. Both BIAB and Sonar at "fault" IMO. If you can call it a fault.

"Include ACID info" should be off as a default in BIAB IMO but it is on.

"Default Groove Clip Pitch" should be "None" in Sonar IMO but it is set to C as the default.

Either, or both changes would fix the problem.

In any case, now we know and it's not a big deal.

Hey EFaaT,

Hope you'll stick around. There are a goodly number of fellow Cakewalk and Sonar users in this forum. Besides, if you haven't tried it PG Music makes some pretty good computer based music products, just like Cakewalk!
Posted By: Beagle Re: WAV parts dragged into Sonar re-pitched - 01/30/16 04:30 PM
Thank you! I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my tracks weren't the same key in sonar than in BIAB!
© PG Music Forums