PG Music Home
Posted By: princeplanet BIAB soloists! - 06/16/09 02:06 PM
Many of you it seems also have BIAB as your practice partner. Sometimes I like to throw up a progression and choose various "soloists", just to compare the styles. I like some more than others, but it has to be said, from someone who in the 80's at university spent months as part of a team of researcher students using early AI to teach a computer to "emulate" Handel's "Water Music", it's freakin' incredible!

So to my questions, who codes these? How? Why are there several variations on a soloist, eg there are quite a few Parkers? How and why are these different from each other? If you run 2-5-1 through the circle of 5ths for 40 full repetitions, how many phrases get reused? If I run 2-5-1 in just one key, will the same number of phrases eventually be spat out (albeit in the same key)? Do the soloist algorithms try to resolve smoothly across bars? Do some more than others?

Which are your favorites?

Some of mine so far (I don't have them all) are - jazz piano 16ths, -longer phrases- yardbird, -blues piano (even for changes)- and Herbie Hancock's pop as well as blue's. The Trane one's I've heard are disappointing as are many others though.

Are these soloists worthy of analysis do you think?
Posted By: Ryszard Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/16/09 06:33 PM
Quote:

Are these soloists worthy of analysis do you think?

Yes.

R.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/16/09 08:02 PM
Let me expand on my deliberately flip answer.

I am but a lowly blues-rocker, nowhere near the class of someone who can dissect Trane and others. (If I chose to spend time analyzing the Soloists as you suggest, I might get there.) Nevertheless, I have an ear and some training in theory and performance.

Even putting together pop-based numbers with BIAB, I notice that someone has taken great care in assembling Styles. Little variations on riffs are shuffled about while playing, just as a human player would. Not perfect, as anyone who has spent time with the program knows, but at its best, really, really good.

Unless I'm shown otherwise, I do not believe that BIAB incorporates Artificial Intelligence, but is rather an Expert System (no mean feat in itself. Medical Expert Systems have been demonstrated to be right at least as often as real doctors--and that's an old stat.). I love listening to the variations BIAB wrings out of my compositions. The more complex my piece, the stranger the changes. (But I SWEAR there's a sense of humor in there at times.)

I originally bought BIAB version 7 to generate the drum parts I and my second-generation drum machine couldn't. Once I lost my fear of it, it became much, much more. I actually think of BIAB as a co-composer at times, or at least an extension of my own brain, which after all is the proper role of computing. I go places I would not have gone did I not have the program.

So, yeah. IMO the Soloists are worth analyzing. A lot of talent, skill, thought, care, and (dare I say?) love went into making this thing go. We each reap the benefits in our own way. Go for it. If you don't like what you find, maybe you'll figure out how to do it better, and create Soloists for the rest of us to enjoy.

R.
Posted By: princeplanet Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/17/09 04:22 AM
creating your own soloist would be awesome! Imagine, you'd painstakngly work out all your ideal riffs and lines for certain situations and sit back and listen to how you'd ideally like to "make the changes" with your own playing! 2 to 3 hundred "motifs" should be just about enough to sound like a "style". Sure, you can't program in things like "taste", but every once in a while you will hear something that you'd be proud to sound like. Then you work it out, memorize it and internalize it, like you do when you shed other people's solos, only this time, you're ripping yourself off!

Anyone know the actual "DNA" of the soloist function?
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/17/09 05:29 AM
Quote:

Anyone know the actual "DNA" of the soloist function?

Yeah, Peter Gannon and trust me he ain't talkin. The subject of rolling your own soloist has come up many times. This is the definition of the word "proprietary". About all that's leaked out is they hire world class players to help them with this including Peter's famous guitarist brother Oliver and Miles Black on piano. Beyond that, nobody knows except the Shadow...

Bob
Posted By: princeplanet Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/17/09 08:12 AM
pardon my ignorance, but who/what is the Shadow? or is that a figure of speech....
Posted By: Ryszard Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/17/09 08:30 AM
It's a figure of speech: "Who knows what evil lurks . . . ", etc. Sorry to raise your hopes so; I did know better.

OTOH, it is possible to tweak the Soloist to a degree. I came up with a pretty good Bruce Hornsby for one project by 'jazzing down' a jazz pianist (don't recall which). Part of it lies in the changes over which it plays. There is much there for you to study and play with.

R.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/17/09 03:03 PM
The shadow was a radio program Pre Television, and the was the catch phrase.

The show aired from 1932 to 1954. 740 episodes, you can hear a snippet here http://www.megaloradio.com/shadowradioshow.html

here is some downloads http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/template.php?show_name=The%20Shadow
Posted By: PapaMikie Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/17/09 03:42 PM
They used to play them late at night (along with may other great Radio shows) through the early 60, I used to listen to them a very low volumn under the covers while parents were sleeping (2:00 or 3:00 a.m.)

At some point I became aware that not only the Shadow knows, but DOD also Knew (kean ears on that one).
Posted By: princeplanet Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/17/09 06:07 PM
Quote:

The shadow was a radio program Pre Television, and the was the catch phrase.

The show aired from 1932 to 1954. 740 episodes, you can hear a snippet here http://www.megaloradio.com/shadowradioshow.html

here is some downloads http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/template.php?show_name=The%20Shadow

Cool, then this Shadow fellow woulda heard Bud Powell, Bird, Diz and Miles, and maybe a young Trane. Let's hunt this Shadow fellow down and hold a gun to his head till he makes good with a customised Soloist that incorporates at least all of the above. Maybe he's hiding under some old bridge in Kansas.....
Posted By: John Conley Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/17/09 10:51 PM
We are not in Kansas anymore Toto.
Posted By: Mac Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/17/09 10:58 PM
If you have to explain who Toto is...
Posted By: Fifer Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/18/09 10:25 AM
... an awful 80s rock band if I recall correctly!

Best wishes

The man with no culture
Posted By: Mac Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/18/09 02:53 PM
--an' yer little dawg, too, Fifer!
Posted By: princeplanet Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/19/09 04:31 PM
Where can I find out the updated full list of Soloists available? Is there a Cannonball Adderley one yet?
Posted By: Ryszard Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/19/09 04:47 PM
Here is a list of MIDI soloist sets #2-#20, less #12-#15.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: BIAB soloists! - 06/19/09 05:53 PM
Toto, awful!!! Wow you never heard Africa! Singature song of the 80's was Roseana! Dude! That fella Boby Kimball had some pipes, and Steve Luthaker could play that guitar pretty well i thought.
© PG Music Forums