PG Music Home
Posted By: sabino Erase un needed real tracks, or not - 01/02/17 07:33 AM
Now that I have upgraded to 2017, it keeps suggesting I delete un-needed real tracks.
However, when I go to do that it warns me that I might be slowing down rendering.
What have people found?

Thanks.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Erase un needed real tracks, or not - 01/02/17 09:25 AM
Sabino,

What version have you upgraded from? It sounds like it might be one of the earlier versions when Realtrack technology was much younger. I suggest you contact PG Music about this and talk to one of the technical experts in Support.

Regards
Noel
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Erase un needed real tracks, or not - 01/02/17 09:55 AM
To delete or not....

I most often just mute the tracks. When I render tracks in RB, I will listen to see if it's what I want. If not, I have no issues with deleting them.

However, if you delete them , I don't think you really delete them. Because you can do an UNDO and get them back. So obviously, they were just removed from the project track view and not from the computer.

Many DAW's are the same way. All the short clips and takes that were deleted, nope... they are still there on the hard drive in the project folder.

So... play around, experiment, see what works and what doesn't.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Erase un needed real tracks, or not - 01/02/17 10:09 AM
I think Noel has it correct here.

Sabino, you may have had an older version of BIAB where there were more of each RealTrack to allow for pitch changes. Once they added Elastique (now on version 3) they suggested we could save lots of space by Delete +/- files in Preferences, RealTracks. Only do this if you have a newer fast computer! Run the free Geekbench utility and report your single-core score. Then we can advise.
Posted By: sabino Re: Erase un needed real tracks, or not - 01/02/17 10:20 AM
Yes, I did upgrade from an older version of BIAB (2009.5).
My Single core score was 3768.

Once again, thanks for this advice.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Erase un needed real tracks, or not - 01/02/17 11:12 AM
If you have the space on disk, leave those files. But if you are short, your computer's score indicates you would be OK to delete them. I deleted those files long ago.

My Geekbench score is a bit higher than yours, low 4000, but I use another checkbox in Preferences, RealTracks that turns off fast generation. I find it helps.
Posted By: sabino Re: Erase un needed real tracks, or not - 01/02/17 01:38 PM
Thanks.

I'm OK for space, so I'll just ignore the "Tip" everytime I open BIAB.
Posted By: rharv Re: Erase un needed real tracks, or not - 01/02/17 02:21 PM
GH,
Be advised; in RB those undo functions are only available during a session. Once RB is closed it will wipe those temp files it had stashed for Undo.

In other words, if you close RB, you can't open it and undo anymore .. RB cleans up behind itself when it closes.
These snippets are kept in your Audio Temp Directory which is defined in Audio Prefs.

Back on Topic; I don't think the new version ships with those older realtracks, so I don't think they are needed at all, but you may have used them in a previous project.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Erase un needed real tracks, or not - 01/02/17 02:36 PM
I'm not sure those files are needed, true, and they aren't included now. What I don't know is if they could even be used by BIAB. In other words, does keeping them yield any advantage? My guess is No but we really would have to get advice from PG Music to be certain.
Posted By: sabino Re: Erase un needed real tracks, or not - 01/02/17 04:53 PM
I have asked PGmusic support to comment on this thread.
I will update when/if they get back.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Erase un needed real tracks, or not - 01/02/17 06:17 PM
))) Now that I have upgraded to 2017, it keeps suggesting I delete un-needed real tracks.
However, when I go to do that it warns me that I might be slowing down rendering.
What have people found?

Thanks.

----/---

You are safe to answer yes to deleting those files. They are old unneeded files. In the early days of realtracks we made extra wav files that were pre transposed. Now we do it on the fly. There is no need to keep those files and they get auto deleted if you respond yes to that question. You don't lose anything, in fact you gain because our on the fly transpose is better than those old files anyway.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Erase un needed real tracks, or not - 01/02/17 06:31 PM
Sabino, you have THE answer now. Delete away.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Erase un needed real tracks, or not - 01/03/17 10:09 AM
Originally Posted By: rharv
GH,
Be advised; in RB those undo functions are only available during a session. Once RB is closed it will wipe those temp files it had stashed for Undo.

In other words, if you close RB, you can't open it and undo anymore .. RB cleans up behind itself when it closes.
These snippets are kept in your Audio Temp Directory which is defined in Audio Prefs.

same as Sonar. however, Sonar does store all those snippets and deleted takes, in the song's project folder where they reside, taking up hard drive space.
© PG Music Forums