PG Music Home
Confusing title, I know! It would seem easy. Here's my problem: I have an SSD USB 3 HD. I would like to load RTs much faster, so I'd like to put all my RTs/RDs on this drive, BUT I don't have enough space for all of them, and since I usually work on only Jazz/Latin projects, there are a LOT of RTs I would never use.
I would love to not add those RTs to the HD, however its confusing to me because some RT volumes seem to have a mix of different instruments and styles. Can anyone tell me the best way of doing this? I've got to keep it down to no more than 50GB. Thanks so much everyone for any tips you might have!
Edward
Edward, you're probably not going to like my recommendation, but it would be better to get a larger drive.

You didn't mention the total size of the drive, but if you have 50Gb to spare, chances are that you are running into fragmentation issues also. A full set of RealTracks (not Audiophile) is 92Gb and contains about 100,000 files, plus more for the RealDrums.

Could you get a larger drive, and copy whatever you need from the current drive to it, and start with some 'future-proofing'?
Trouble is, my Tablet won't allow a larger drive. So a +1 from me for some kind of template.
Just copy the RealTracks that you want to use to the SSD including the Library folder that contain the Shots n Holds.
Loops folder if you use them
The Direct Input folder, just copy the RealTrack in it that you want to use.
If you want to use only non Direct Input track then don't copy the Direct Input folder.

Data folder you can simlink to your main drive http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=393833#Post393833

The Drums folder just copy the drums you will use.

But as VT suggested if you can have a larger drive will save a lot of hassles.

When you are done set the new paths for RT RD and do a rebuild/fix in the picker windows.

"Trouble is, my Tablet won't allow a larger drive. So a +1 from me for some kind of template. "

Is that running on the main SSD or eMMC, can you get a fast SD card or Micro SDXC to put in the tablet like 128G or 256G ???

A Windows 10 ASUS Tablet I think you have ?? not sure what model ??
Have a look for BIOS updates to give bigger than 128GB SSD or eMMC internal drive, if it's eMMC you need to check if it's soldered or socket-ed.

EDIT: Somewhere else you say you have a ACER W700 if so http://community.acer.com/t5/2013-Archives/W700-ssd-replacement/td-p/9415

Quote:
I would like to load RTs much faster

Is this referring to generation times if you're running the RT's from the PGM hard drive? If so I tested the speed between using my internal SSD with all the RT's on it and using the external PGM hard drive and I could not tell any difference. This is with Biab itself installed on the SSD and just the RT's on the external. The reason for that was the same as you, my internal SSD was getting down to about 60 gigs free space and I was thinking of deleting some RT's too.

Bob
Wow, thanks for all the information and well remembered. I watched the video. Way out of my comfort zone! grin Maybe I could find a friendly tech to do it for me. Good to know it's possible.
See where the little msata is, all they had to do is put a little panel with a couple of screws on the back to access it like under a laptop, but no, that would be too easy.
Apple is notorious for that, I had to put a new hard drive in an iMac and the same deal pull the whole thing apart, iPhones the same all sealed, Samsung you take the back cover off and replace the battery.

If you pull it apart and put it back together at the same time it's ok, but if you have to wait weeks for parts you forget how it all went back together and end up with left over screws !

© PG Music Forums