PG Music Home
Posted By: Tourismo using midi controller keyboard with BIAB - 07/19/17 10:47 AM
I just bought Band in a Box (Mac) 2017.
I am trying to record into BIAB with an Edirol Midi Keyboard Controller.
I can't get any signal from the controller to register in BIAB.

I can get the controller to register OK in Logic (on a Macbook Pro)

Anyone got any ideas ?
HI

First make sure you have the keyboard set as a midi input in BiAB midi settings..

On the normal chord sheet screen look at the mixer for the THRU Track just below the Soloist track,
Select your play thru patch Voice from here.
Thru is sent to you midi out device selected in mid setting, if you have routed midi to your VST DXI synth those are the voices you hear.

If you are in record mode the midi data gets sent from here to the Melody or Soloist track as well and is recorded as note data.
The voice / patch that you hear on play back is the voice selected for the melody or soloist track.

It is up to you to choose the melody or soloist track voice and the THRU track voice to be the same if that’s what you want,

If you do not set a voice for the THRU track it will use the default Piano .
But still what you hear on playback will be what ever voice you have chosen for the Melody or Soloist Track.

You can also work with the soloist track if you select it
Because when you click record a box pops up allowing you the choice of recording to the Melody or Soloist tracks.
for info
THRU = midi ch 5
Melody = midi ch 4
Soloist = midi ch 8
This is why each track can have its own voice /patch

I think that will get you going. cool
Mike

I am using the Mac version.
In Midi Settings there is no input device selection.
Hi Tourismo and welcome to the forum!

This post is in the Band-in-a-Box for Windows section of the forum. You likely will receive better advice in the +++ Band-in-a-Box for Mac forum +++.

It will helpful if you post a computer description with ram, hard drive space and operating system. Just like pc computers, Apple computers come in many sizes and operating systems.
HI Tourismo

I did see you mention Logic and Mac book pro
But you did not say you were using them for BIAB
I assumed you where just saying you had tested your keyboard on that set up!

Apart from midi selection of inputs which I believe is automatic on the Mac
Most of my post will proballt be the same regarding Thru channels etc
I really don’t Know my way around the Mac version at all .
Sorry frown
Mike
Following up on what was asked here. Can you program a midi controller so that it controls the band in a box volume?

In other words I have an oxygen 49 keyboard. It sure would be nice to be able to control the band in the box volume right from that keyboard rather than walk over to the software and monkey with that every time.

Is it possible and how do you do it?
Goofeyfoot,

Band-in-a-Box for Windows doesn't support mixer control by midi controller. A quick review of the online BiaB for Macintosh manual does not indicate the feature is supported.

A request has been on the Band-in-a-Box wishlist for almost seven years. If you would like to support the request you can add a +1 to show your support +++ HERE +++
Oh, I requested that long before eleven years ago.

It should be mentioned that BIAB did have support for the discontinued Frontier Design Tranzport. It may still; I don’t know. At one point, BIAB was able to be controlled by this.
It sure would be nice. I presently use a Akai 25 key controller in Studio one. I really like what it can do. I am seriously considering upgrading to a native instruments controller with 49 keys. I find then25 key to be a bit restrictive when noodling around. Since I am not a keyboard player, but just us it to add little patterns and such I don’t need fancy.

I bet it would be cool if BiaB had that. Ability.
Posted By: MarioD Re: using midi controller keyboard with BIAB - 04/06/20 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
It sure would be nice. I presently use a Akai 25 key controller in Studio one. I really like what it can do. I am seriously considering upgrading to a native instruments controller with 49 keys. I find then25 key to be a bit restrictive when noodling around. Since I am not a keyboard player, but just us it to add little patterns and such I don’t need fancy.

I bet it would be cool if BiaB had that. Ability.

On a side note keep that Akai connected along with your new keyboard. You can use the Akai to activate the keyswitches that are out of the range of your new 49 keyboard.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Oh, I requested that long before eleven years ago.

It should be mentioned that BIAB did have support for the discontinued Frontier Design Tranzport. It may still; I don’t know. At one point, BIAB was able to be controlled by this.

After reading this, I searched around on the internet some to learn more about this unit. Forum discussions indicate another company has created updated drivers that allow this device to work on Windows 10 computers. There were also discussions that former users of the Frontier Design Tranzport were able to replace the Tranzport with the Tascam FW-1884 Controller. If someone has one of those old controllers laying about, it may be they can be made to work with BIAB software similar to the way the Transport did.
I had both.

Tascam failed to release the drivers they had for Windows 10, orphaning perfectly good hardware. Anyway, the FW-1884 was never able to control BIAB.
Just in case this didn't get resolved in the Mac forum, here's a video that might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THKC6FvvrTw&feature=emb_logo
© PG Music Forums