PG Music Home
I want to take a blues melody and transpose it into all 12 keys for a student. Transpose melody only doesn't fix the chords and I want him to see what the correct ones are. Is there an easy way to get that done?

Thanks.
John,

Firstly, copy and paste the original melody and chords 11 times so that you have 12 instances of the melody with chords.

Now use "Edit | Transpose | Transpose from... to..." to work on individual sections. It's been a while since I last used this but, if I recall correctly, this will adjust the melody and the chords.

Regards,
Noel

Hi John

Good advice from Noel

The way I do it is to click on the key sign (2 below the Memo button on the main classic interface) and from the drop down just choose the 11 different keys and print if needed

jazzman
Try this.. Start with ONE CHORUS of a 12 bar blues. Mark it with your mouse. From the menu, choose COPY SPECIAL.

Then look at "Copy From to" (or hit Alt-C)

Now you want to copy FROM bars 1-12 (one chorus) to bar 13. Check the number of TIMES you want to copy it (11) and THEN

Enter the transpose amount (1/2 steps, circle of fourths or let BIAB select (Random)

Some of the choruses may get out of range for a horn, but you can go back and transpose those choruses up or down an octave. Select the Chorus, and choose Melody from the menu. Then Edit Melody Track. The Transpose, Transpose melody only, and ensure the proper chorus is selected. Enter 12 or -12 semitones, and hit OK.

I think this is the easiest way do do any exercise in all 12 in BIAB.

http://www.pgmusic.com/helpvideo.htm?vidid=A25QaoEUC_E&autoplay=1&start=0&os=Win

great seeing you here, Jan. And thanks to everybody else!
By now, you've figured out BIAB uses the term 'transpose' in a few different ways. In your case, you used the menu for transposing instruments, which changes how the melody appears but does not change the underlying key.

I just change the key signature, left-hand column, as Jazzman said. Everything changes - chords and melody.

But do you know BIAB can automate this
? Check out Window menu, Practice Window, Transpose Songs. In the middle it says Each Chorus that is Played, Transpose By ___. You can cycle through fifths, up chromatically, or set it to random, or ... Cool tool.
Originally Posted By: PhillyJazz
Try this.. Start with ONE CHORUS of a 12 bar blues. Mark it with your mouse. From the menu, choose COPY SPECIAL.

Now you want to copy FROM bars 1-12 (one chorus) to bar 13. Check the number of TIMES you want to copy it (11) and THEN

Enter the transpose amount (1/2 steps, circle of fourths or let BIAB select (Random)

This is the best method by far, but you have to keep in mind the 255 bar limit in BIAB. Essentially, you can't use this method with songs longer than 21 (255/12) bars.

Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
But do you know BIAB can automate this[/b]? Check out Window menu, Practice Window, Transpose Songs. In the middle it says Each Chorus that is Played, Transpose By ___. You can cycle through fifths, up chromatically, or set it to random, or ... Cool tool.

This method would be perfect, but unfortunately is not working at all. Please, feel free to add a +1 here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441823&an=
Originally Posted By: PhillyJazz

Some of the choruses may get out of range for a horn, but you can go back and transpose those choruses up or down an octave. Select the Chorus, and choose Melody from the menu. Then Edit Melody Track. The Transpose, Transpose melody only, and ensure the proper chorus is selected. Enter 12 or -12 semitones, and hit OK.

I think this is the easiest way do do any exercise in all 12 in BIAB.

http://www.pgmusic.com/helpvideo.htm?vidid=A25QaoEUC_E&autoplay=1&start=0&os=Win

That's a very streamlined approach! I like it smile
Cerio, thanks for this update. Done.

It's too bad it isn't working correctly; I used it many years ago and it was pretty neat.
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Cerio, thanks for this update. Done.

It's too bad it isn't working correctly; I used it many years ago and it was pretty neat.

Yes, I think it worked flawlessly when BIAB was MIDI only.

Thanks for your vote, I hope this feature gets finally fixed, it was a really useful one, specially for jazz students!
© PG Music Forums