PG Music Home
Posted By: ovation99 Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/09/18 04:14 PM
I am having real trouble exporting my BB or RB projects to MP3.
I have Klite codecs, Lame 3 encoder installed, but it still will not encode to MP3.
I get a message saying that an input is not recognised (or similar) and then aborts.
It used to work fine, but something has happened that seems to have stopped.
I am running BiaB 2017 (471) and RB 2017 (8)

I am totally bewildered as it used to work.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/09/18 05:55 PM
Just to check...

When you start BIAB, have you tried starting it in administrator mode by right-clicking on the startup icon and then selecting "Run as administrator" (this is different from logging in into Windows as admin).

"Run as administrator" often makes a difference for tasks such as this conversion and it's worth double-checking.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: ovation99 Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/09/18 06:26 PM
Noel96,
Yes I always run as Administrator anyway, but I double checked but still no go.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/09/18 06:46 PM
Thanks for checking. It always pays to eliminate the easy options first.

I wonder if this has something to do with Windows 10? There have been a number of comments on these forums where Windows 10 updates have broken something that used to work.

To double-check this, I would download the latest KLite and (re)install it.

https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Out of curiosity, does saving as wma work? (To be honest, I personally prefer wma over mp3.)

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/09/18 11:08 PM
Hi Ovation99,

What are the exact words of the error message?

Also, do you get to the "Please select an output audio format" screen before the error appeared? If so, what did you choose in the Format and Attributes boxes?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/10/18 01:38 AM
LameDrop is a real handy tool http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lamedrop.php

it is just a floating icon you drag the green track name or master onto
you will find the mp3 in C:\bb\DragDrop
right click it for options like output folder n bitrate

RealBand > Render > Merge to Stereo wav > drag wav on lame drop.

Use mono encoding for mono tracks.

Posted By: ovation99 Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/10/18 05:30 AM
Noel96 - Out of curiosity, does saving as wma work? (To be honest, I personally prefer wma over mp3.)

Yes WMA, M4A, WAV etc all work except MP3

Kent - PG Music
After selecting Save As, Audio>MP3. Then the file renders, presumably to WAV and then a dialogue pops up and doesn't give any options for bit rate (56Kbits)https://www.dropbox.com/s/4y6qvi8asdsd35c/Capture.JPG?dl=0
If I accept that another dialogue pops up stating "Driver cannot do the requested conversion.https://www.dropbox.com/s/fqy31af5it5gmgx/Capture2.JPG?dl=0
Posted By: ovation99 Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/10/18 05:57 AM
Thanks Pipeline, Just tried this and works great. I'll use this in the meantime until the main problem gets sorted.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/10/18 05:08 PM
Hi Ovation99,

OK, it looks like you were selecting MPEG Layer-3 as the Format. That's the MP3 codec that's built into windows, and only works for decoding, not encoding. You'll never be able to make an MP3 with that one selected, regardless of what's chosen in the Attributes box.

You'd need to select something else in the Format box. Does LAME or any other MP3 codec show up there?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: ovation99 Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/11/18 05:56 AM
There is nothing else in the Format drop down menu to select other than Mp3 @ 56Kbits.
Would it help if I re-installed BIAB over the existing installation? Although I don't relish the idea of having to install everything.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/11/18 06:28 AM
As mentioned above, I'd try re-installing k-lite first. That seems like the easier option to begin with. It will be interesting to see what Kent's advice is. He knows much more than I do when it comes to solving BIAB/RB problems.
Posted By: ovation99 Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/11/18 06:47 AM
Noel96,
Just tried that and even did an uninstall and re-install but no joy I'm afraid.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/11/18 07:12 AM
A couple of other things that I'd try are...

1. Reinstall build 471

2. Return to factory settings. I'd use the top option where ALL settings are neutralised. Prior to doing that, though, I'd save the current preferences (there's a selection for this under Options/Opt).

3. Test the different menu options for saving... for example, mp3s can be saved using the "File" menu, the WAV button and the SAVE AS button (when in standard view). This shouldn't make a difference... but it's still something that I'd test.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/11/18 07:40 AM
Are you using the K-Lite Mega as it has more codecs for encoding compared to just decoding.
Or try http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-dshow-acm.php to get it in the drop down.
BB 2018 has an MP3 drag, in RB you should get the option below:

Attached picture RB-BB-MP3.png
Posted By: ovation99 Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/11/18 12:31 PM
Thanks for all your help.

1.Reset to factory settings = No change
2.Uninstalled K-Lite and installed K-Lite Mega = No change
3.Update 471 installed over existing = HOORAY ! all working again !

I don't know why this happened because I have converted to MP3 SINCE the 471 update in December with no problems.

The mysteries of computers !!!!

Thanks again for all the suggestions
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Exporting BIAB or RB to MP3 - 04/11/18 01:20 PM
I'm pleased to read that all is up and running again!

There was another case not so long ago where I suggested reinstalling the update and it solved the problem.

I interpret this to mean that sometimes a file or setting provided by an update stops working properly (for whatever reason). Reinstalling the build is then equivalent to returning the update to factory settings. And since updates are cumulative for individual versions of BIAB, reinstalling the latest relevant build resets all update settings and files.

All the best,
Noel
© PG Music Forums