PG Music Home
Posted By: KGU 2 wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/14/18 06:11 PM
Hey all,

has anyone tested these drivers in 2018, and windows?

Of course in the past the big problems are when one has aDaw running, Biab wont play anything, or vice versa.

Also problems with interfaces connected, then no rendered
files play. etc, etc.

super annoying.

Any reviews on this new feature?

thanks

[Does is work on w7 or only w10?]
Posted By: Noel96 Re: wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/14/18 06:43 PM
Do you record directly in BIAB or have a midi controller connected to play along with the BIAB backing as BIAB plays?

If you don't, you'll find that using MME as the audio driver will most likely solve the above problems.

I always use MME and only change to ASIO or WAS when I record. This is very rare because I use BIAB/RB to generate tracks for me that I then compile in a DAW.
Posted By: KGU 2 Re: wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/14/18 06:51 PM
Do you record directly in BIAB or have a midi controller connected to play along with the BIAB backing as BIAB plays?

.......trying to record in BIAB, hasnt been
successful to date.

If you don't, you'll find that using MME as the audio driver will most likely solve the above problems.

..........I usually have a DAW running at
same time - this creates huge problems with
the biab drivers, and vice versa. I was hoping wasup solved that?

I always use MME and only change to ASIO or WAS when I record. This is very rare because I use BIAB/RB to generate tracks for me that I then compile in a DAW.

........thanks!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/14/18 06:56 PM
Sounds like there is not real reason for you to use WAS or ASIO.

Under "Audio | Audio Drivers/Settings" change the driver to MME and see if that helps.

The thing with ASIO and WAS is they only usually let a single sound source play and so DAW and BIAB cannot be active at the same time. MME is not like this, it will allow all audio sources access when BIAB is operating.
Posted By: KGU 2 Re: wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/14/18 07:09 PM
Thanks, but I'm not sure were on the same page.

don't MME drivers had worse LATENCY?

That's a major issue here.

Anyone know ?

thanks
Posted By: Noel96 Re: wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/14/18 07:13 PM
Yes, MME does have much more latency.

That's was why I asked if you record or use a midi controller of some kind (plugged through BIAB) to play along with BIAB.

If you either of those apply, then latency is an issue. If you don't then latency shouldn't be an issue unless there is something about your system that I'm not aware of at the moment.

You could try ASIO4ALL and see if that helps. This runs with minimal latency and works well with BIAB.

http://www.asio4all.org/

Posted By: KGU 2 Re: wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/14/18 07:18 PM
thanks again.

yes I have that. Will experiment.

But the sales blurbs for BIAB 2018 highlight new wasup drivers, with low latency, even better than ASIO { ? }

and like MME, they seem to be cross app friendly.

Anyone here tested them?

thanks
Posted By: Noel96 Re: wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/14/18 07:23 PM
I seem to recall Kent from PG Music saying not so long ago that WAS drivers only allow one application to use them at a time. If my understanding is incorrect, I have no doubt that he will correct me smile
Posted By: MarioD Re: wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/14/18 08:41 PM
If you must record in BiaB instead of your DAW then put your DAW in MME drivers and BiaB in either WAS or ASIO drivers.

Good luck.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/14/18 08:46 PM
You may find +++ THIS +++ article about how Windows approached audio interesting. It explains how audio can be either shared or exclusive.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/14/18 09:54 PM
In case it helps as you research this, as Jim's article shows, the correct term for this is WASAPI drivers. They date well back before Windows 7.

You asked if anyone has experience. Yes, on my system, BIAB does not work well with the WASAPI driver. But I use an external MIDI synth by Roland, in case it matters, and a Focusrite Scarlett interface.

In general, everyone should experiment with MME and ASIO drivers, then WASAPI, and choose what works best for the equipment you have. Only try ASIO4ALL if all else fails, because ASIO4ALL is not ASIO; it's just a wrapper to emulate MME.

Noel gave the info you need: no point in using anything in BIAB other than MME (which I understand to be an implementation of WDM) unless you record in BIAB or use a MIDI controller.

ASIO (except the newest multi-user ASIO) is one program only; thus MME is a 'normal' choice (unless, as above...).

I haven't had success with WASAPI so I haven't experimented much, but I did not know it's one program only (assuming that advice is true).

Posted By: KGU 2 Re: wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/15/18 11:43 AM
f you must record in BiaB instead of your DAW then put your DAW in MME drivers and BiaB in either WAS or ASIO drivers.

-----------thanks.

You may find +++ THIS +++ article about how Windows approached audio interesting.

-----------thanks, but over my head.

Jim Fogle

WASAPI drivers. They date well back before Windows 7.

You asked if anyone has experience. Yes, on my system, BIAB does not work well with the WASAPI driver.

................im confused. PG is
touting these drivers as new improvements to both RB and Biab 2018.

We've added a new audio driver system (Windows Audio Session) that has ultra-low latency.

http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.htm
Posted By: Noel96 Re: wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/15/18 04:41 PM
The thing to appreciate about audio drivers in BIAB (MME, ASIO (if it's installed) and WAS) is that the final sound that emits from the speakers/headphones is identical.

All these drivers take exactly the same sound that's created by the computer's electronics and send it to the speakers. Where they vary is that some drivers get the sound to the speakers quicker than others. ASIO and WAS get the sound there the quickest.

There's a trade-off, though. With the ASIO and WAS, if BIAB is open, these drivers will take control of the speaker and will not allow other audio to be heard (thus your problem with your DAW not working when BIAB is open). While some latter versions of ASIO do allow multiple audio sources (as Matt points out), my experience is that this can never be assumed until tested.

WAS is new to BIAB this year and it is indeed ulta-low latency (hence the sales comments). Low latency is very important in you record or use a MIDI-controlled instrument that plays through BIAB. It's not a better driver than MME or ASIO (i.e. it doesn't make the instruments sound better), it just gets the audio to the speakers quicker.

If you need ultra-low latency, then use WAS and keep in mind that if you need to use a DAW at the same time as BIAB, then the DAW probably won't have any audio sound. This is how WAS works and it's by Windows' design.

If you want to have both a DAW and BIAB open and both being able to use the audio, it is necessary to use MME as your BIAB driver. There's no reason why you can't change the driver to suit your day-to-day requirements. That's what I do. Sometimes I use ASIO4ALL (or WAS or even ASIO) when I want lower latency. Mostly I use MME. When I use ASIO or WAS, though, my DAW does not work.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: KGU 2 Re: wasup driver review - 2018 ?? - 07/15/18 09:43 PM
good info Noel96,

thank you.
© PG Music Forums