PG Music Home
The Roland VSC VST/DXi that we include with Band-in-a-Box won't install on the newer 64 bit OS's from Microsoft. That' been a long standing issue.

I recall hearing from a customer that they were able to get it working, but they couldn't recall the details of if/how it was really working.
So I am wondering, has anyone has managed to get the Sound Canvas soft synths installed on 64-bit OS's.

Perhaps by upgrading the OS, where the synth is already instaed?

Also, the same question would apply to the TTS version of that (from Cakewalk). Have you got that working in 64 bit?

Windows 7 comes in both 64 and 32 bit versions (included on the same disk). But it looks like they are pre-installing 64 bit as the default, so most people are going to have that.
Just an aside: I'm guessing the people who don't know what kind of problems they are in for, will be getting the 64-bit versions! Makes it harder for you. Among those who do know, such as on the SONAR forum, it appears more are staying with 32-bit for now. And both there and here, people are citing Coyote Forte as an inexpensive good solution for 64-bit.
Quote:

I'm guessing the people who don't know what kind of problems they are in for, will be getting the 64-bit versions!

Hmm that's me, I'm one of em! I went for 64-bit to enable 8 gb of memory rather than 4 (or actually less) with 32-bit. Ashamed to admit I skimped on my homework as my Audigy 4 and Sampletank won't play ball either!

Watching with interest,

Dave.
Mine does not work. I have Vista 64, I think had I known I'd have stuck with 32, but it came with 6 gigs of memory and I figured I should go for it.

I didn't uninstall it yet, (the VSC), but it gives an error message on boot.
I bought a new 17" HP "Entertainment" notebook with 6GB RAM, and it came with Vista-64, (which I wiped off as soon as I received the machine....Total junk.) I'm running the RC (Release Candidate) version of Windows-7/64-bit, and as much as I hated Vista, Win-7 is actually pretty decent. I pre-ordered the Win7/Professional, which officially comes out on Thursday, and will upgrade my machine to that as soon as I get it. It appears that most new machines with 3GB and up will ship with the 64-bit version pre-installed. So, yes, this IS going to be an issue.

I could not get the VSC to work on it. I forked over the $40 to go with Coyote/Forte, and that seems to work pretty well, but it's a shame to have to spend $40 to get to the same place as the product that used to work so well for free. As an FYI, I also bought a new Creative X-Fi/Notebook card to go with the machine, since my older Audigy2/ZS-Notebook is a PCMCIA card, and the new notebook only accepts the "Express" form-factor cards.

The club where we typically work has quite a bit of ambient hum that's introduced into our system between the output of the notebook (the Creative X-Fi card), and the inputs of the P.A. I went to Radio Shack and picked up an inline filter, (Radio Shack "Ground Loop Isolator", catalog number: 270-054), and that gets rid of almost all the hum.

One last thing.... I've been fighting the problem with wildly varying output levels between songs for years. It's really noticeable between songs created with "RealTracks" and those that are native MIDI-only. I discovered that by using the "Freeze" option, even on the MIDI-only tracks, and creating .WAV files for EVERYTHING we do, and then going back with a 3rd-party utility and using the "Normalize" feature on the .WAV files AFTER they are "frozen", I rarely have to touch the computer's output level the whole night.

We've actually got it working pretty well now, and hopefully the upgrade to the consumer/offical release of Windows-7 will be a relatively minor upgrade for me, and won't require reloading all of the apps, and reconfiguring all of the "Virtual-XP" programs I had to create to get around application-incompatibility with Windows'7.

Hope that helps.
Are you referring to play back of audio wave/ MP3s etc? As far as balancing volume between separate finsished tracks you may be missing one step. I always take my completed tracks through Sound Forge and normalize each track so levels are comparable. There are numerous tools that will do the same - many for free. Sometimes compression is needed but gernerally if you at least normalize to a consistent level the volume level from one track to the next should be close.
Quote:

hopefully the upgrade to the consumer/offical release of Windows-7 will be a relatively minor upgrade for me, and won't require reloading all of the apps

As I understand it, if you are running the RC of Windows 7, you will have to perform a complete install of the shipping version.
Hi

I'm running W7 64bit and the TTS is working without any problems. That is not the case with VCS though.

Jan R
Quote:

Are you referring to play back of audio wave/ MP3s etc? As far as balancing volume between separate finsished tracks you may be missing one step. I always take my completed tracks through Sound Forge and normalize each track so levels are comparable. There are numerous tools that will do the same - many for free. Sometimes compression is needed but gernerally if you at least normalize to a consistent level the volume level from one track to the next should be close.

Yes, that's what I was referring to, and I guess I didn't explain it very well, but what I'm doing is exactly what you're talking about...I just use a different tool to do it than SoundForge.
>> I'm running W7 64bit and the TTS is working without any problems. That is not the case with VCS though.

Hi Jan,
Thanks for the reply. Since we haven't been able to get the TTS-1 working on W7-64 bit, perhaps you could provide more information, such as version number of TTS you are using ((System button | Options | Version ). We're using a 2004 version, version 1.00

Also, what version of W7 - ?Professional
A HP Laptop ad had this brurb "If you choose the optional Windows 7 Professional Edition, it also supports Windows XP mode if your configuration meets certain hardware requirements . Windows XP Mode is a virtual OS that runs within the Windows 7 Professional environment. Windows XP Mode makes it easy to install and run many1 older Windows XP-compatible business and productivity applications by launching them directly from the Windows 7 desktop. The XP Mode license is included with Windows 7 Professional."

We are using
We are using

is the above phrase a 'pregnant' pause?

Are you inferring that Windows 7 is going to run the VSC Dxi syth in a 'compatibility' mode? Does that entail using the o/s in a 'crippled' or throwback state?

Just curious...
Peter:

Some time back, there was a discussion on using TTS-1 with Vista 64bit, and Gary Curran said he got it working. Maybe he can help. Re: Cakewalk TTS-1 DXi. I'd still like to know too.

Brad
The VSC DXi synth will NOT run in the compatibility mode, as far as I was able to tell. Since I didn't want to run the whole BiaB application in the compatibility mode box, it is not possible to run it across from native W7 to XP-mode. But yes, the Professional version of W7 has the Virtual-XP mode included. If you're really dead set on not using anything but VSC DXi, you might give a shot at installng the whole thing in the virtual partition, but I can forsee quite a few problems with that, including not being able to "see" any external sound-card if you're using a notebook. (When I run something in Virtual-XP it cannot see the Creative X-Fi/Notebook card.)
I'm using the Forte on a 64 bit laptop with VISTA. I've had few problems once I learned to turn off all the wireless stuff. That was causing a noticeable pop through the sound system. Now, no pops. As cited above in one of the posts, my biggest problem has been the issue of consistency in volume levels with tunes created in BIAB. I take a lot of requests, so many times I'm just winging it, not knowing what the next tune may be. So, that consistency has to be there. Before I save a finished tune, I run it through the same sound system used for live performance. Just "earing" it seems to work pretty well in getting the instrument levels about the same. I found out quickly that using headphones or studio monitor speakers won't cut it in mixing consistency. I have to hear the tunes through the performance PA setup.
Hi Peter et al

I recently upgraded my Sonar to version 8.5.1, and it is the TTS soft synth 'inside' Sonar Im referring to. Im not sure where to find the version #
I run the RC version of W7 (Ultimate). I made a clean install, hence there should be no other version running in the 'background'.

Hope that helps.

Jan
Quote:

I found out quickly that using headphones or studio monitor speakers won't cut it in mixing consistency. I have to hear the tunes through the performance PA setup.

That is exactly the problem with rendering everything to a stereo wav file and playing it on a Ipod or something. You can get what you think is a great mix at home and it sucks at the gig through your PA. Even using your PA at home doesn't cut it because of the different acoustics at various venues. We have been asking for a long time for a control surface that can be used as a mixer to individually control the instruments. The Frontier Tranzport does have some volume control functions but not simple faders that you can grab on a dark stage in the middle of a tune. As it is, you have to fiddle with your mouse at a gig and that's awkward too.

Bob
Hello Jan,

Are you able to find the version number by clicking on the [System] button in the TTS-1 control panel, then clicking on Option, then clicking on the [version info] button?
Ahh, found it - here we go: DXi version 1.00. Same version as you referred to I believe.
Cheers .
Jan
Thanks Jan, Actually it turns out we can get the TTS-1 working after all. So it works fine in Windows 7 , Vista (32 and 64 bit). And of course XP.
I like the TTS better. Maybe you can get that to go with BIAB as opposed to the VSC DXi.
Just a quick note on the hum issue. I've used the Ebtech (now owned by Morley) units for years, and they are great! Signal/ground imbalance in most cases is eliminated, or reduced drastically. There are no switches. Just plug one cable into the input, and the other to the output. There are different models depending on what type of connector you use, and how many inputs/outputs you need. The HE-2 has two 1/4 TRS ins/outs, and runs $65. They also make a 2 in/out XLR (humxlr) model, and an 8 channel in/out rack mount ($225). These are passive devices and really do the job. Sweetwater, American Musical, Musician's Friend all carry them.

Richard
Just a word of caution. I thought I'd upgrade my laptop this weekend, I discovered that many of the Intel chips that are shipping with new laptops in the $800 and under range do not support virtualization. The bad news is if it doesn't support virtualization you cannot run XP mode. So, later today I'm taking back the 2nd laptop I purchased at Best Buy. IF I want to stick with Windows 7-64 bit, I'll have to place a special order at the store and spend close to $1000. Then I'm faced with the dilemma should I just spend a couple hundered more and move to a MacBook.

FYI, here's a link to the chipsets that will or will not run virtualization.

http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx
Another quick point about hum with a laptop. You only get hum when you're using the power supply. Running it on the battery is dead quiet. With some of the new batteries advertising 8 hours of use, even if a live gig uses it up faster, it should be enough if you don't want to have the hassle of plugging in one of those hum eliminator gadgets.

Bob
Hi all,

I tried to get the TTS to work but when I select it in the BIAB VST/DirectX Instrumetn/Plugins window, it says "c:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared DXI\TTS-1\TTS-1.dll is not a valid VST plugin!"

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Hi Earl,

It works ok for me. It might be worthwhile looking at your Midi/Audio driver set-up. My settings are...

1. Midi Input driver = input port on soundcard (for me that is an Audigy 2)

2. Midi Output Driver = Audigy 2 synth (although I'm using the VST/DXi synth so this setting is probably not relevant)

3. Soundcard = my soundcard (Audigy 2)

4. I have "Use VST/DXi Synth" checked

5. I also have "Route Midi Thru to Midi Drive" checked (although for some people, this seems to work better unchecked according to comments on these forums)

6. Then under the DXi shortcut button (between "plugins" and "panic"), I select the TTS synth.

If this doesn't work, I suggest you start a new post rather than continue on with this one. Doing so will make it easier for others to see your problem.
Noel
Is it possible to buy the TTS synth on its own or do you have to buy Sonar to get it?

Also, is it functionally a complete replacement for the VSC or is their anything that it can't do? (e.g. the VSC DXi synth is required for rendering WAVs - can the TTS be used for the same purpose?)

Regards, Aubrey
The TTS-1 comes on the CD with SONAR and is installed separately. I do not know if it is available by itself.

TTS is a General MIDI synth, which would make it easy to use with BIAB. On the SONAR forum, the sounds are not highly regarded. However, many like to use it while first developing a song because it has very low CPU usage, and that is a substantial feature compared to some of these products. They then replace the sounds with a better synth sound later if needed.
Thanks Matt,
As I am not a Sonar user, it sounds like Forte is still my best option for running under 64bit Windows 7. (Barring the hardware synth route).

I always replace the VSC sounds with better synths once I have exported the BIAB Midi arrangements to my DAW so the BIAB midi synth quality is not paramount, but it needs to be good enough to do the BIAB styles justice when auditioning and arranging in BIAB. I am sure that I must have passed up perfectly good styles in the past just because the Midi synth they were playing through in BIAB didn't sound great. For instance I have learned over time that any style with an overdriven electric guitar will sound pretty poor through the VSC but will usually sound OK when converted into, say, a sampletank sound.

On the other hand I have always found the VSC bass guitars, pianos (electric and acoustic), and the string sounds to be pretty usable.

I have never got around to buying Forte but from the forum discussions I get the impression that it is on a par with the VSC, better on some instruments and worse on others.

I have always stuck with the VSC because a) It's free, b) It integrates pretty seamlessly with BIAB, and c) It's fast in operation (I had a pretty poor experience with Bandstand in this respect). I guess that I will have to take the plunge with something else (probably Forte) when I upgrade to 64bit.

I haven't given up hope that PG may bundle something great with BIAB as a 64 bit VSC replacement.

Regards, Aubrey
I just got BIAB 2010/RB and a new Vista 64-bit OS on a new computer I bought for just my music. I have a Roland/Edirol SD-20 sound canvas and have installed the drivers for it in the new computer. I have not run it over the stage speakers yet but I will soon. I also bought the Forte 1.6 Dxi. I like the sound but am disappointed that it will not play my bank changes, e.g., castinets, thunder, etc. Would some one be so kind as to lead me through the steps for converting these midi tracks with bank changes on them into something that will play on the Forte Dxi?

I have tried to convert the tracks to Audio and wav by right clicking on the track but, if I did it right, neither method allowed me to hear the right sound. Maybe Forte Dxi doesn't recognize bank changes at all? Is that the case?

I am also waiting for my free upgrade to Windows 7 OS. I have read all the posts in this thread but I still do not know if it is best to leave the OS as Vista 64-bit, change it to W7 64-bit, or W7 32-bit, or just change it all back to Windows XP. I could use all the advice I can get in these areas.

Thank you all so much for your help. I have 500 midi files I take to a job and I would like to start producing files that include both midi and real tracks. But it is all beginning to look like a giant task because of the little computer-related problems that keep coming up.

Regards, Scott
TTS-1 is not available separately from sonar, BUT Music Creator 5 comes with TTS-1 and it's available as a download for only $35. for $35 you get TTS-1, the Cakewalk Soundcenter (a softsynth based on the NI Kore player), the cakewalk Studio Instruments Drums (MIDI softsynth) and much more inlcuding MC which is a full blown sequencers (with limitations).

http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=10-CWMC5.00-30E
He is not barking up the proverbial tree here For $35 you get a lot, and i have that package and all three wotk nicely in RB.
Thank you both for your advice. I will look into the program you suggested. I certainly appreciate your idea! Regards, Scott
you also get Amplitube X-gear which, for guitar players, is a GREAT plugin for amp simulation. it comes free with MC5! all that for $35!
Peter,
As Jan said, you can get TTS-1 to work in Vista 64, and I'm assuming Win7. I have that on my laptop, but don't have Sonar on that, so I can't try it there. I'm sure it does, though.

The XP mode in Win 7 Pro is for older programs, primarily business programs, CAD, Financing and Accounting and such that isn't supported in Windows 7, or Windows 7 isn't supported in that software, so it allows you to upgrade the computer, and still have the ability to run it. It is only in the Professional version, and I wouldn't want to try to run BIAB, VSC, or anything like that with it.

Gary
Quote:

Is it possible to buy the TTS synth on its own or do you have to buy Sonar to get it?

Also, is it functionally a complete replacement for the VSC or is their anything that it can't do? (e.g. the VSC DXi synth is required for rendering WAVs - can the TTS be used for the same purpose?)

Regards, Aubrey

I had a friend, a SONAR owner, send me the TTS-1 dll(?) on its own, only to discover that it will not run without having been installed with a Cakewalk program. Apparently it needs to be written to the registry. (Forgive me if my understanding of the actual software processes are incorrect.)

Short version: I had it on one machine, now defunct, but with Sonar 5 or 6 installed, and I was able to use it with BIAB. The .dll didn't work by itself on another machine without SONAR.

R.
Thank you all very much. With the information so far I have decided to call Cakewalk today to confirm that TTS-1 works with Vista and Windows 64-bit OS's and that it recognizes all GM and GM2 bank changes. I am concerned that the sound from TTS-1 is not highly regarded on the Sonar Forum, as indicated in one of your responses, but at least I can use it until the ForteDXi update implementing full bank recognition comes out.

I and also leaning toward installing the 64-bit W7 upgrade when I receive it.

Thanks again for all the helpful and interesting information. I wish I had started posting on the forums eight or ten years ago when I started using BIAB. Regards, Scott
I just got off the line with Cakewalk Sales. I was told that their Music Creator 5, which comes with TTS-1 may or may not install on a 64-bit system. They would not guarantee that it would install on all 64-bit systems. The sales people also did not know if TTS would recognize all GM/GM2 bank changes. I tried to e-mail the questions to their tech support people (as sales suggested), but their tech support team doesn't take e-mail questions from people who don't own the product. So I e-mailed sales and asked them to forward the questions about 64-bit systems and bank support changes to their tech people to try to get definitive answers.

I reads Peter's msg stating TTS would install on 64-bit systems. But is there any special steps to follow to get the Music Creator 5 with TTS-1 to install on a 64-bit system - or do you just click INSTALL?

Also can anyone tell me if the TTS recognizes bank changes? If so I want to give it a try - at least until the ForteDXi is updated to accept all the bank changes.

Thanks, Happy Holidays! Scott
I just helped a friend configure Music Creator 5 for Band in a Box. What a great deal! $35, you get a lot of the features of Sonar, the TTS-1 is working perfect in his aging computer. Not sure about 64 bit yet, but If you are looking for great midi sounds and GM compatibility, this is a great way to go. I'm sure there will be a 64bit patch for win 7 out soon.

Ed
yes, TTS-1 recognizes bank changes. it does as much as Edirol VSC does and a little more (and it sounds a little better, IMO).

as far as will MC5 install on a 64bit system, that's a good question. I'll see if I can get an answer for that.
Thanks Edward and Beagle! If we can find out if it installs on 64-bit systems I will buy it today! It is great that it recognizes all the back changes! Merry Christmas to all! Scott
MC5 will install on vista/7 64bit as a 32bit app, but not as a 64bit app.
Thanks, Beagle. Are any problems created by installing and running it as a 32-bit application on a 64-bit OS? Scott
Hi Beagle!
Sony Support tells me some 32-bit applications will not run on the Vista 64-bit OS. He suggests trying to get a trial version of MC5. If it runs on the 64-bit OS then I can buy the program. Have you or your source of information actually run MC5 on a 64-bit OS. I guess if it runs it should just run a little slower than 64-bit applications but should not cause any other problems. What do you think? Thanks, Scott.
there's not a trial version of MC5. there is a trial version of sonar, but it does not come with TTS-1.

I'll try to get some information on the cakewalk forum from users who are using MC5 on vista/win7 64bit and see if anyone is having any problems using it, but I would think it would run fine.
Hi Gary,

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to determine if Music Creator 5 works with 64-bit processors so I can buy it and use the TTS-1 with my BIAB 2010/RB. Your recommendation has convinced me that the TTS is great. Do you use it on a 64-bit OS or can you confirm that Music Creator 5 with the TTS will work on a 64-bit system? Thanks, Scott
Peter, I was not clear in my last msg - sorry. Sony says some 32-bit applications will not run on the Vista 64 bit OS. Music Creator 5 apparently will install on Vista 64, but as a 32-bit application. I want to get Music Creator 5 because it is the least expensive way to get TTS-1, since you can't buy it separately. So I am trying to find anyone who has installed Music Creator 5 and got it to work so they could get TTS into their 64-bit system. Have you installed Music Creator 5 on a 64-bit system and gotten TTS that way or can you otherwise confirm for me that it can be installed and be operative on a 64-bit system so that I may access TTS? Thanks for your patience with me! Scott
I have confirmation on the sonar forum that when sonar is installed as a 32bit app on win7 64bit or vista 64bit, that indeed TTS-1 does work fully correctly.

that's not a direct confirmation about MC5 itself, but MC5 is a derrivative of sonar.
Thanks Beagle. I will take that as sufficient confirmation to invest my money! Thank you again for your help! Merry Christmas! Scott
Scott,
I use Vista 64 Ultimate on my computer, and TTS-1 works on that, although I will admit that I haven't tried bank changes. I have a hardware synth that I use.

However, I've had issues with Sonar 7 running in 64 bit mode, so I run it in 32 bit mode. The problem is with my SOUND CARD DRIVERS and NOT SONAR! Once I get the sound card drivers updated for 64 bit, then I should be able to reinstall Sonar as a 64 bit app.

However, there are many applications, including Band In A Box, which are not 64 bit apps, and work very well on a 64 bit system. However, if you are trying to run a 64 bit program, everything must be 64 bits. So, depending on your sound card, it may be easier to run MC5 as a 32 bit app, and you shouldn't have any issue at all.

Gary
Gary,
Thanks! I bought the MC5 and got it started, after a really lengthy registration exercise. I then put the TTS-1 into Real Band and BIAB and it sounds good in them and recognizes the one bank change I have tried so far. So that is a big step forward. I haven't tried to use MC5 itself for anything yet but I am fairly confident now that when I do it will be fine. Thank you very much for your help!

Happy Holidays! Scott
Hi Aubrey,

I just loaded TTS into my Real Band and BIAB. Have you gotten an answer to your question about the wav files yet?

Happy Holidays! Scott
I want to thank everyone here who has reviewed and made such helpful comments about the TTS problems I have discussed in earlier posts. But I think Andrew has found the solution and the cause. Let me try to explain it simply - as I am not knowledgeable enough to explain it in the proper technical terms. Please forgive any slight errors.

Essentially the TTS does not change automatically from GM2 to GS mode when a SysEx msg is sent (my external SD-20 does). Roland says soft synths do not recognize any SysEx msgs. When Real Band opens a midi file it usually strips the bank change controllers from the event list and puts the information in the patch dialog area (altho sometimes some MSB or LSB contollers are not stripped and remain in the event list). TTS is by default in the GM2 mode (although you can manually change it to GS, etc), so any GS bank change msg can cause problems.

So, improper or incomplete bank change settings in the midi files can cause the TTS to go to its default settings with certain MSB contoller numbers (other than 120 for drums and 121 for all other instruments). The default settings in TTS in this situation are PC 1 (piano) -unless you have manually changed it to something else on a channel by channel basis. So your instrument can be automatically changed to a piano or, ocassionally, something else, by the TTS when it gets an improper bank change controller.

So I need to go back into all the files and make sure I am getting the right bank change msgs to the TTS. I have a list of all the GS and GM2 bank change possiblities. I suppose that is all as clear as mud! Sorry.

As to the possibility of pitch changes distorting sounds, the TTS help file says if you have sound troubles with the TTS turn down the volume. I initially had my lappy sound set to 100%, but I have turned it down. Andrew says about the only problem people have with pitch bend is failing to enter a zero at the end of the pitch bend strings. I found many such situations in the midi files I have. I think it can lead to the bleeding of sound into the next file played if the proper resets are not entered. And it seems like many programers no longer bother with resets.

Of course, if there is an improper bank change msg on a channel with pitch bend I assume you can get unusual results.

I know I will have more problems of various kinds, but now, thanks to all of you, I feel like I have many new friends who will probably be able to help me find a solution to any problem!

Thank you all very much! Scott
By the way, just to dispel any doubts, Alley Cat was recorded using BIAB to do the song (it's a .mgu file I have, I don't know who did it) using the TTS-1, and then rendered to wave files. Each track was a separate file, imported to Sonar 7 SE for final mixdown (Audio only) and then converted to a .wma file.

My computer is a AMD Quad Core running at 3.0gHz, 8 GB of RAM, Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Asus Xonar D2X, M-Audio 2496, and more hard drive space then I can shake a stick at (and more on the way for Monday!)

This is a 13 meg file, 24 bit VBR wma.

www.catsmeowcafe.com/Music/alleycattest.wma

Gary
© PG Music Forums