PG Music Home
Posted By: Eugene Shults Drum line creation - 12/01/09 09:30 PM
Hey everyone,

I really enjoyed doing that music comp assignment and want to play around and create some tracks. I was told that the only way tracks that I can add notes to are M and S. So is there anyway I can create my own drum lines? I want to play around with alot of different ideas.

I have used this program in the past for practicing my bass and I realize it is meant for that. But is there also way to create customized tracks from scratch?

Thank you!
Posted By: Mac Re: Drum line creation - 12/01/09 09:32 PM
There are ways, but I'd recommend a static sequencer program like the very affordable Powertracks Pro Audio sold here for this job.

You will find it much simpler to do.

But be advised that the Music Notation for drum parts in pgmusic software is not standard drum notation. Things are on the wrong lines in the staff and the noteheads are not the x that drummers like to see. So don't count on placing your written chart in front of a real drummer. It will, however notate in a fashion that you can use yourself, and it will sound correctly if you do your job right.

--Mac
Posted By: Eugene Shults Re: Drum line creation - 12/01/09 09:38 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into that program.
Posted By: Mac Re: Drum line creation - 12/01/09 09:50 PM
BTW -- "Drum Line"

Don't know if you want to use that term to refer to a drum part.

The Drum Line in the marching band and especially in the Drum Corps will set you straight sure enough if you do!

Carry on,

--Mac
Posted By: Eugene Shults Re: Drum line creation - 12/01/09 10:03 PM
Hah! I'll keep that in mind
Posted By: John Conley Re: Drum line creation - 12/02/09 07:18 PM
But why did I get to march in front of the bass drum? That hurts when he forgets to stop. So I moved to the back of the horn line, the the contra player hits me. Can't win. Carried a flag once, we turned a corner and ended up in a strip club the wind was so strong. (cough cough) Imagine that a Shriner's marching band playing the stripper in a strip club. Never. Really, well, maybe. Nor did the horn line ever stand in the swimmin pool at midnight playing jingle bells to the cops. They are still looking for 2 horses in Baltimore when the drum line started up not seeing those horses passing us. Those hosses shoulda been in the Kentucky Derby, or maybe that's where they were headed. And yes we did get passed by an 8 year old girl, who wrapped her goat's rope around her waist and when the goat went by draggin a red bag we had no idea it was a kid with a snowsuit on. Man that goat could run and drag a girl 3 blocks. I swear I did not laugh. Much.
Posted By: Mac Re: Drum line creation - 12/03/09 01:02 AM
I could tell you about a certain well known United States military marching unit that used to have a inside money Pool going on about which horse would defecate first in military funerals with caissons involved, but I shouldn't.

--Mac
Posted By: John Conley Re: Drum line creation - 12/03/09 02:22 PM
BTW, if the style fits, load up Soldier style and the demo. Lots of snare drumming in that one. Make sure you get the midi drums.

I think I used it for 'Scottish Soldier' but I'm not at that computer, the legs don't want to go to the basement yet.
© PG Music Forums