PG Music Home
Posted By: Mark Stonebanks Suitable Style for Moondance - 03/11/21 01:06 AM
Can anyone suggest a suitable style to use for Moondance by Van Morrison?
Whilst I was typing in the chords (Am7, E11) I see that E11 is 'translated' by BIAB to Esus... Pardon my ignorance, but is E11 the same as Esus?
Many thanks in anticipation.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Suitable Style for Moondance - 03/11/21 04:42 AM
The Style Picker lists these in relevance order for Van Morrison's Moondance. (I'm not sure that some of these would be my choice).

Attached picture 2021-03-11_18-39-49.jpg
Posted By: Mark Stonebanks Re: Suitable Style for Moondance - 03/11/21 05:46 AM
Many thanks Videotrack...
I can never seem to get the style picker to come up with relevant suggestions...
I'll give them a go
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Suitable Style for Moondance - 03/11/21 09:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Mark Stonebanks
Many thanks Videotrack...
I can never seem to get the style picker to come up with relevant suggestions...
I'll give them a go

Yes, I'm not sure how the Most Appropriate Styles are decided on. I rarely rely on the "familiar song title" filter to give me a workable result. 'Trial and Error' gives me a better outcome usually. Be prepared to experiment.
Posted By: the_blooze Re: Suitable Style for Moondance - 03/11/21 11:50 AM
For the verse riff, I play:

Am7 Bm7 C6 Bm7
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Suitable Style for Moondance - 03/11/21 12:16 PM
Originally Posted By: the_blooze
For the verse riff, I play:

Am7 Bm7 C6 Bm7

What Style do you use?
Posted By: MarioD Re: Suitable Style for Moondance - 03/11/21 12:19 PM
[quote=Mark .........................
Whilst I was typing in the chords (Am7, E11) I see that E11 is 'translated' by BIAB to Esus... Pardon my ignorance, but is E11 the same as Esus?
Many thanks in anticipation. [/quote]

Esus is not identical to E11 as it has fewer notes,, E-A-B verses E-G#-B-D-A, however it is an acceptable substitution. You can get a true E11 by typing in E9sus. You can get E9sus to display as E11 by going to options/display/ and clicking on display C9sus as C11.

Attached File
Display Options.jpg  (6 downloads)
Posted By: Mark Stonebanks Re: Suitable Style for Moondance - 03/11/21 02:10 PM
Thank you all
I really appreciate your help
Posted By: Mark Stonebanks Re: Suitable Style for Moondance - 03/11/21 03:43 PM
Thank you all
I really appreciate your help
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Suitable Style for Moondance - 03/11/21 04:57 PM
I think a good 4/4 sw8 style around 135 to 140 bpm should be good. It just needs that swing feel to really get the same groove I think.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Suitable Style for Moondance - 03/11/21 06:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Mark Stonebanks
Can anyone suggest a suitable style to use for Moondance by Van Morrison?
Many thanks in anticipation.

I recently used: _TAPPIN R 4/4 sw8 140 Tappin Minor Blues Alto Solo Jazz Jazz 50 2020/11 RT 354 4 2 Blues

In fact I just did a live stream tribute to Van Morrison all done in BIAB. PM me is you like and I'll provide a link to the 12 tune or so montage.

Later,
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Suitable Style for Moondance - 03/11/21 07:07 PM
>> I see that E11 is 'translated' by BIAB to Esus... Pardon my ignorance, but is E11 the same as Esus?

Typing E11 in BiaB should yield E11 (not Esus) ... try it again. Most people would write E9sus or E7sus, but E11 is acceptable too (just make sure to omit the 3rd)

You should use the song title feature to find a list of styles that work. I did, for Moondance, and many of the style suggested worked fine.

Here is the method I use and reccomend :

1. type in at least the first 4 bars of the song you are interested in, and set the key.
2. Launch the StylePicker, type in the song title you are looking for "e.g. moondance" and then press <Enter>, and you will see styles that would work with that song (genre=jazz, tempo=135, swing 8ths feel).
3. Now checkout styles that look interesting to you, starting from the top down. Skip over ones with names that don't appeal, such as "Sax Solo" if you're not looking for that.
4. The best way to check out the style, is in the stylepicker, select x 4 Bar Preview. and then press the PLAY button to the left of the x 4 Bar Preview
5. Now you will hear how your song would sound in that style. The first two styles that show up for moondance for me are
_Brief (Has quartet with horns. Sounds good, I'd turn the guitar comping down and then it works fine)
_EZList (Quieter, sounds like a NY Jazz group with Mike Ledonne on piano, Terry Clarke on drums, and "EZ- 4 in the bar chording on guitar)
_JAZZFred (a different jazz ensemble Freddy Green style guitar, Miles Black on piano, Craig Scott on drums)
... then I skipped over a few styles named Minor Blues, cause I didn't want a soloist (but I note above that Danny chose one of those _TIPPIN and is happy with the results.
_BADBOY (harder edge, with Guitar RT (Jack Pearson, Allman Bros.)

Anyway, those are my suggestions on how to find a style for a song. The nice thing is that you don't have to realize that the important things we look for are tempo, genre, Feel, 8ths/16ths as these get set for you.
And if turns out you want a "heavier", non jazzy approach to Moondance, just change the "Jazz" selection (in green) to something else, like Funk (then audition a style that looks appealing like _FTCLVMT.STY Funky Trip Electric Clav w/ Drums). Or _DETROIT for a Funk/New Orleans treatment (I'd turn the guitars donw on that one)
Posted By: Mark Stonebanks Re: Suitable Style for Moondance - 03/12/21 02:39 AM
Thank you Peter...
BIAB is not just fun to use... I've learned a lot from this thread...
The wife's not going to see much of me today!
© PG Music Forums