PG Music Home
Posted By: bill-hilly Sun Records Style? - 12/30/08 10:28 AM
Hi,

I am fairly new to BIAB and all the million possibillities. Maybe someone has a good idea where i can find a acoustic bass and drums to reproduce (or get close to it) the old sun records sound?
Posted By: toucher Re: Sun Records Style? - 12/31/08 05:22 AM
Hi bill-hilly,

Not quite sure what you are asking, there are midi patches for acc bass and many drum styles that would work. You might try pulling up an old elvis tune in mgu or sgu format and see if the selected styles there are what you are looking for.

Or if there is something specific you are looking for, you might have to be more precise. Also if you post this in Off Topic, you will probably get a better response.

Toucher
Posted By: bill-hilly Re: Sun Records Style? - 01/01/09 06:10 PM
Hi Toucher,

you are right, wasn´t very specific. I'm really looking for a sound (or an idea how to produce it) for an acoustic bass with that typical slapping you hear in a lot of recordings by that time.
Posted By: Musiceddy Re: Sun Records Style? - 01/14/09 09:53 AM
Hi bill-hilly,

I guess you will not find the typical Slapping-Bass sound on BiaB.
It would be the best to record the bass on the bass line and on the drum line put some "clicking" sound for the slapp.

Count:
1 + (1+, 2+, 3+, 4+...)
Bass - Slapp-Click

or
1++, 2++, 3++, 4++

Hope this was helpfull.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Sun Records Style? - 01/14/09 04:42 PM
Bill,
The first, absolute first thing that you have to understand, ASIDE from Real Tracks, Band In A Box has no sound of it's own. Even the Real Tracks is rather limited as far as sounds are concerned.

Since BIAB has always been, and remains, a MIDI orientated program, and requires a synthesizer to produce the sounds, the sound you are looking for must be in the synthesizer. Whether or not the synth YOU are using has the sound, I do not know. If it does, then you can use it. If not, then you can not get the sound you are looking for.

Because of the specialty that you are looking for, it is unlikely that any of the Real Tracks will have that, but you should audition them to see if there is a sound that is comparable. Other than that, tell us what synth you are using, if any, and maybe someone knows if that synth has a patch that will meet your needs.

Gary
© PG Music Forums