PG Music Home
Posted By: Mike Laatz Looking for audio host - 01/15/10 02:45 PM
I've been giving away weekly tracks of my recordings via an autoresponder, but recently I'v had problems with the site that hosts my music. Can anyone recommend a site where my listeners can log in, use a code I've supplied, and download a track? A free hosting service would be first prize, but I don't mind paying if it's necessary and if the price is reasonable.
Thanks
mikelaatz@telkomsa.net

Mike Laatz
Posted By: Carolyne Re: Looking for audio host - 01/17/10 10:25 PM
Try audiosparx.com You might find a lot of interesting things on their site.
Carolyne
Posted By: Mike Laatz Re: Looking for audio host - 01/18/10 05:32 AM
Thanks, I know audiosparx, great site, but not suitable for what I need right now.
I'm moving this post to "off-topic"
Regards
mike
Posted By: ikeinblackriver Re: Looking for audio host - 02/25/10 01:58 PM
I don't know how Internet-savvy you are but here's a really simple and cost-effective solution for anyone who wants to do something like this (for any types of files including streaming video and the like) ...

1. Go to www.godaddy.com and purchase your own domain name (i.e. www.mysitename.com). This can cost as little as 99 cents for the year -- that will reserve your own custom domain name for a year. You'll wait about 24 hours or so before they email you the confirmation that it's yours and it's up and running.

2. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/expression/try-it/Default.aspx#PageTop and download the free trial version of Microsoft Expression Web. It'll cost you nothing, it's great quality and actually quite fun to use.

3. Install the software as you normally do and fire up the Website Wizard feature. It'll prompt you for some simple information (such as your new domain name). Now tell the wizard that you want to create the website for a club with members -- it's going to create the site taylored for that exact application (a club with members). It'll show you a list of 'themes' for your site (colors, etc.) -- choose one. The same software has numerous other 'wizards', one of which will allow you to browse your PC and select files you want to upload to your 'members-only' website to make available to your members. Do that and select your files. You'll do this again whenever you want a new set of files to be available to your members.

4. You give each of your members the website name (the domain name that you bought from godaddy). They will browse to the site and are prompted to log in -- OR -- create a new account and then log in. For new members they simply provide a user id and password ... done!

It's entirely up to you how fancy you make your site and what other features you might want to offer your members. Also, you'll not be at the mercy of some fly-by-night 'free website' company who will likely be out of business before the year's out. For just setting up a sort of 'library' to check your files out ... it's right up your alley and you'll be finished in no time flat, it'll be a secured site and each member's responsible for creating their own id's and passwords (not to mention the price is right too).

Most people would pass on this figuring it's too complicated but really, it's peanuts. These days, the website development software (Expression Web for example) is so simple, there's just no excuse for not having your own custom website. Oh, and forget the freebies ... trust me, you'll get exactly what you pay for!
Posted By: rharv Re: Looking for audio host - 02/25/10 02:54 PM
I agree, having your own domain is so inexpensive and offers so many options everyone should have one.

Free disk space (backup off site)
Servers that can run multiple domains
etc.

I prefer 1and1.com over godaddy because of how much you get for the cost.

1and1 offers $5/month server (I prefer the Linux server package, it'll make no difference to the users)
120gig HDD space
unlimited bandwidth included now
1200 email accounts

with the domain name ($9/year) and server ($5/month) you can have a website for under $70 year that will serve you well..
© PG Music Forums