PG Music Home
Posted By: brymar MGX files - 05/23/10 01:01 PM
Can someone tell me if I can import a file with MGX extension into Real Band and have it split it into individual tracks for revision track by track? I have tried to do this but no luck....it forces me to close programme?? Straight MIDI files work fine.
Posted By: Mac Re: MGX files - 05/23/10 01:23 PM
The "Import" command isn't the right one for getting a BiaB songfile into RealBand.

Start with the BB file first, using the "Open" command.

--Mac
Posted By: brymar Re: MGX files - 05/23/10 01:30 PM
Mac I did try to open MGX file by opening it in the BB file.
But it just wouldn't open?? It just froze and I had to close Real Band down.

Bryan
Posted By: Mac Re: MGX files - 05/23/10 01:33 PM
See if the file will still open in BiaB first. Might be a corrupted songfile.

If it does open in BB, and you have the 2010 version, try using the Drag 'n Drop feature to put it into RealBand...

--Mac
Posted By: Rachael Re: MGX files - 05/23/10 01:34 PM
After you Open the MGX song in Realband, use the Edit|Extract Channel to Tracks command. The procedure I use is:

- In Realband, open the .MGX file
- Track|Make all BB tracks regular tracks
- Select the part to extract
- Edit|Extract Channels to Tracks

The last command will separate the channels and place them on the appropriate track (Channel 2 -=> Track 2, Channel 10 -=> Track 10, etc). If you want them on different tracks, you can check the 'Use Channel Table' in the last step.

R
Posted By: Mac Re: MGX files - 05/23/10 01:36 PM
Good call, Rachael!
Posted By: brymar Re: MGX files - 05/23/10 01:50 PM
Neither suggestion. worked. It did the same thing and when I closed Real Band it gave me the following message. "Access violation at address 0047AC57 in module "RealBand.exe. Read address 000001BO at : 0047AC57????
Posted By: Mac Re: MGX files - 05/23/10 02:35 PM
Again -- Can you open and play the same file inside Band in a Box?
Posted By: brymar Re: MGX files - 05/24/10 10:54 AM
Yes, the same file opens and plays fine in Band in a Box
Posted By: Mac Re: MGX files - 05/24/10 11:28 AM
Try a "factory reset" of RealBand. Something in there may have become corrupted.

*Close down RealBand completely first.

*Locate the following two named files in your RB folder and move them out of it or delete them:

*REALBAND.INI. This file contains most of the global RealBand settings, especially the settings in the Options | Preferences and Options | MIDI Devices dialogs. It also has a list of the most recently accessed song files.

RB.CFG. This file contains information about your sound card

The two files above contain most of your program settings; it is usually only necessary to delete those two files.

*Start RealBand. It will remake those two files and prompt you with a few things about soundcard and MIDI output device as if you were starting the program for the first time. Follow thru that short wizard and then see if you can load the file now.

Hope this helps,

--Mac
Posted By: brymar Re: MGX files - 05/25/10 02:21 PM
Hi Mac,

I followed your directions but once again it didn't allow me to open and start file in Real Band?? By removing this two files "Realband.INI, and RB.CFG" have I in effect done a Factory Reset? Is there anything else that I could try?
Bryan
Posted By: dbigers Re: MGX files - 05/25/10 04:46 PM
You might try a trick that works in a lot of software. Open the file in BIAB. Save it as a new name. Then try opening that in RB. Sounds stupid, I know. I mainly do 3D work and this has worked many times to open files that work in one program and not the other. Seems the file gets corrupted in its save, but the hosting application can work through that corruption. You have nothing to lose by trying.
Posted By: rharv Re: MGX files - 05/25/10 06:03 PM
Good idea dbigers, seen it work more than once!
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: MGX files - 05/25/10 06:38 PM
Wanna post the file and see if we can open it up in RB?

Trax
Posted By: brymar Re: MGX files - 05/26/10 01:49 AM
I tried your suggestion of saving under another name etc.and unfortunately it didn't work for me...it followed the same pattern of refusing to let me open and play the file ???
Posted By: brymar Re: MGX files - 05/26/10 01:51 AM
Hi Trax,

Can you tell me how to post a copy of this file on this forum?
Posted By: jazzband Re: MGX files - 05/26/10 01:13 PM
Hi Brymar

All the files i make in BIAB are mgx files and i port them over to realband,what i do is to load it into BIAB and save it with the Midi save icon,i then pick the save o type file and then save this into the tune file in Realband,when i load this file into Realband it ask if you want it to go into separate tracks and i choose this option and it loads and plays every time,hopesw this helps

regards Dave Hoskins
Posted By: brymar Re: MGX files - 05/26/10 08:32 PM
Hi Dave,

I am eager to try your suggestion.
Where is the Tune File" ...I can't find a file called Tune File in Real Band.
Do you mean that I need to first create a new file in Real Band and Call it "Tune File"?

Bryan
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: MGX files - 05/26/10 11:26 PM
Bryan,

Send me a PM and I will send you my e-mail address. You can e-mail the file and I will look and see what is going on with it.

To post a file here, you use the "URL" selection in the "reply" box, not quick reply. The URL is located underneath where the smilies are etc . . . The file needs to be posted on an external website, you can only link to it in these forums. Just like the songs people post here. Box.net is a free website for posting files with.

Trax
Posted By: jazzband Re: MGX files - 05/27/10 07:05 AM
Hi Brymar

Sorry,thats the name of my file i import my BIAB files to in Realband,there`s one thing i don`t know and that, is there any different MXG files as my files have been made in the piano role editor as i have more front line instruments then just the melody and soloist

regards Dave Hoskins
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: MGX files - 05/27/10 07:05 PM
Bryan,

There was an XG Midi file on channel 6. I have separated that file and sent via e-mail.

Trax
I bought a new video card with Windows 7 drivers and the errors stopped. I had these Access violation in module BBW. exe or RealBand.exe screen freezing errors in BIAB 2010 since installing a clean Windows 7 64-bit. Very frustrating indeed. good luck.
© PG Music Forums