PG Music Home
Posted By: murf100 Mono audio tracks from stereo midi - 02/27/11 08:49 PM
I've been using BIAB/Real Band for backing tracks for some of my original tunes. Once I get the rough mix I turn over the tracks to a pro engineer for the final mix. He would like to work with mostly mono tracks. When I convert a BIAB midi track to an audio track it automatically creates a stereo track. How do I change this to mono?

Thanks again
Brian
Posted By: rharv Re: Mono audio tracks from stereo midi - 02/27/11 08:55 PM
Use 'Track- Split stereo track to two mono tracks' then export the mono tracks to wave using 'Track- Export track to file' and saying 'yes' when it asks if you want to include silence at beginning.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Mono audio tracks from stereo midi - 02/27/11 10:42 PM
Why not split stereo to 2 mono and then use the merge to merge to a new track then delete the rest. I do this with all the B3 tracks cause I don't like the way they were recorded for live use. I want BIG MONO.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Mono audio tracks from stereo midi - 03/01/11 07:19 PM
Do you have the ability to put in VST after the VSTi? If so, there are several plugins that will turn a stereo signal into a mono signal. Here's one, Moneo, on this page:

http://www.betabugsaudio.com/plugs.php

Here's another location with the same Moneo plugin and a couple others:

http://www.untidymusic.com/wordpress/vst...ur-mix-in-mono/

Now, with all of that said, I would still provide the engineer with individual instrument stereo tracks, if that is what they are natively, and let him/her figure out what really needs to be mono.

-Scott
Posted By: murf100 Re: Mono audio tracks from stereo midi - 03/03/11 06:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Ultimately the split to mono tracks was the best option. For single instruments (ex just the kick drum, or a bass)splitting results in two nearly identical tracks. I just delete one, leaving a mono track. Other than piano, which tends to be significantly different on the L and R tracks, this works out well. Drum tracks vary a lot left to right also, but I already separate each part of the drum kit to a separate track.
Brian
© PG Music Forums