PG Music Home
Posted By: rokq22 A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/15/12 05:03 PM
I really wish I could sing better. Indeed, I really never liked my vocals much and with RealBand recording it's obvious to me I can't hide them like I can on live karaoke songs with loud music playing. So I have a few vocal questions.

1) Can anyone offer me a few suggestions on improving the vocals? I know some reverb helps. But are their any other plugins specifically made to turn "crap" (not really THAT "crap") vocals into something better? Seriously! I know there are TONS of things available to change the sound of guitar but are there (m)any to do the same for vocals? I'm thinking (haven't had time to go through them all) that I already have SOME choices with both my Line 6 Pod Farm software and also the things available in RealBand but can someone point me in the direction I should go?

2) I think I made the beginners mistake of recording/mixing the recorded tracks too loud. I SHOULD have turned my HEADPHONES up as the music played through them but, instead, I turned the master volume up while I mixed the instruments instead. That means that when the vocals get recorded they aren't as loud as I would like them to be even with the fader maxed out and the music is too loud for them. What to do? Should I just remix the instruments again at a lower volume and then record the vocals again? Or is there another way to make the vocals louder even though the master volume is maxed out?

3) I've seen this done on another DAW, but how do I flatten (compression??) the sound of the vocals after they are finished. (Hmmm, and for that matter, how can I RAISE the level that might be too LOW on a track?? ) I noticed that the vocal level isn't consistent, of course, as the instruments usually are. How do I make the vocal signal more consistent as the, unintentional high and low volumes don't sound very good.

Thanks!
Posted By: murf100 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/15/12 06:08 PM
There are a lot of options in real band that can help improve a vocal tracks, but if the vocal is really bad, try re recording just the vocal track to improve the performance. When I record my songs I usually record three vocal tracks. I use the best of three, and use the other two to cut and paste to fix any parts I'm not happy with.

First get the vocal track to a volume level you can work with. Select the whole track, and using the audio effects apply a gain change. I like to get the waveform about 2/3 of the track height so there is room for expansion, but it is audible.

Apply some compression using the audio effects. A ratio around 1:1.7 and rapid attack is usually a good starting point.

Once you get the volume levels suitable you can use reverb and equalizers to help improve the sound. That should be done in the mixer AUX, rather than the individual track, so the original track remains unchanged, and you can try a lot of different mixer settings.

Again don't waste a lot of time with a really bad track. You can spend hours trying to tweek it and still be unhappy. I learned the hard way it is much easier to re record the vocals.

Good luck
Brian
Posted By: ROG Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/15/12 11:22 PM
This is going to sound a bit drastic, but it might just be the quick fix that you're looking for.

Go to the BARS window and select the whole vocal track. Then go to EDIT - AUDIO EFFECTS - DISTORTION. In the SOFT DISTORTION dialog box select 6db of Pre-gain and push the output up to full (0db) Hit PROCESS.

It's not going to sound like a distortion pedal, but it's more like the effect you get by pushing the levels well into the red on a tape recorder. It will thicken the voice and give it more character whilst, at the same time compressing and raising the level.

If you don't like the result, hit UNDO.

ROG.
Posted By: rharv Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/16/12 03:00 AM
My suggestion would be a compressor. Either PGDynamics or Classic Compressor (one included and the other free) to boost the vocals and make them more 'present'. These are 'free' product suggestions, of course there are are others; some free some far from free. You've already noticed the need for one by your post.
'Classic Compressor' on first vocal preset is often enough to see what the difference is.
I think the free set that includes Clasic Compressor is spelled Kjaeurhaus or something close.

With compressors you have to listen closely for noise (and background noise). It may end up needing some more 'cleaning up' on the track to make the compressor behave as desired.
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/16/12 05:04 PM
I don't know what it is about me but it seems I can't be happy with what I got but usually need MORE stuff then I probably need right away. I guess I just want to feel comfortable with my computer recording and maybe the more the merrier as I can chose things to make things easier. As I read the above I thought about Reaper. Couldn't I also (if I wanted to) drag the stuff from RealBand to Reaper to remix/edit things and possibly make them better if I messed up in RealBand (as "dfizzxbom" shows in his video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKkN78DfWRQ&feature=related

Having Reaper also available can't HURT can it?

Then there is Audacity. Looking around I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpEPFc_1ibA

I had heard of Auto-Tune long ago but now that I can record I'm more interested in giving it a try. Well, maybe. (But maybe it's just a toy?)

In regards to the compression (specifically Kjaerhus):

http://www.hometracked.com/2007/01/11/best-free-vocal-plugins/

I'll look into this stuff (AND actually do some hands on work) but would like to hear about any DRAWBACKS someone might know about any of this stuff. The thing I liked about the Auto-Tune program (with Audacity) is that it dealt specifically with the vocal tracks and how to manipulate it and I really need that. I think I also liked it because the VIDEO seemed so simple.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/16/12 05:54 PM
Kjaerhus' classic series of plugins is a must have. FYI, they are now hosted exlusively at the Mixcraft site. http://www.acoustica.com/plugins/vst-directx.htm

As for warnings: Audacity is functional, but you have much more firepower at your fingertips with RealBand.

No need to try Reaper at present, although when I've given it a spin, there are some functional items in Reaper that are pretty slick.

Just run what you brung with RealBand for now.
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/16/12 07:00 PM
Quote:

Kjaerhus' classic series of plugins is a must have. FYI, they are now hosted exlusively at the Mixcraft site. http://www.acoustica.com/plugins/vst-directx.htm

As for warnings: Audacity is functional, but you have much more firepower at your fingertips with RealBand.

No need to try Reaper at present, although when I've given it a spin, there are some functional items in Reaper that are pretty slick.

Just run what you brung with RealBand for now.

Thanks!! I really didn't want to mess with Audacity but I WOULD sort of like to try out the Auto-Tune thing.

On the issue of plugins and the Mixcraft site. I'm out the door now but when I get back I'll definitely be interested in getting some of them plugins and seeing more of the Mixcraft site. Wondering for now, is it easy to bring the plugins I like from elsewhere (like from Mixcraft) over to RealBand? How to do that? Just thought I'd ask that while I'm here as I'm really clueless about this stuff as you can tell.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/16/12 07:45 PM
Quote:

Wondering for now, is it easy to bring the plugins I like from elsewhere (like from Mixcraft) over to RealBand? How to do that?

Those plugins ae not "in" anything as far as "in" a program. They are files with the extension .dll and you just load them through the VST/VSTi load process in RB. If they belonged to a program, you'd have B3 for Sonar, B3 for Cubase, B3 for Protools..... That would be like having Word for Dell, Word for HP, Word for Lenovo...
Posted By: DrDan Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/16/12 08:04 PM
Quote:

Having Reaper also available can't HURT can it?

Absolutely not, Reaper is a blast and works beutifully with BIAB and RB. These 3 applications are the iim, V, I (for jazz cats) or the I, IV, V (for rock stars and country folk) of home studio recording,

On the topic of vocals, have you checked out the TC Helicon Hardware available. And forget autotune, go straight to Melodyne. So much gear, So little time.
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/17/12 01:51 AM
Quote:

This is going to sound a bit drastic, but it might just be the quick fix that you're looking for.

Go to the BARS window and select the whole vocal track. Then go to EDIT - AUDIO EFFECTS - DISTORTION. In the SOFT DISTORTION dialog box select 6db of Pre-gain and push the output up to full (0db) Hit PROCESS.

It's not going to sound like a distortion pedal, but it's more like the effect you get by pushing the levels well into the red on a tape recorder. It will thicken the voice and give it more character whilst, at the same time compressing and raising the level.

If you don't like the result, hit UNDO.

ROG.

Will give it a shot soon but even if I don't like it the positive thing is that you showed me where the "AUDIO EFFECTS", like Compression, Gate, Exciter, etc. were. Until now I just thought the only ones available were the ones in the "DirectX/VST Window" which you get by clicking the Fx button on the individual tracks.

Hmmm, I noticed by clicking on "Add VST plugin" I can obviously add more stuff. When I click on that I get a window that says "Select a VST plugin." I didn't get it until now (I still don't 10-0%). On this site ( http://www.acoustica.com/plugins/vst-directx.htm ) there was this:

Quote:

Important Note: To install a VST effect, simply put it in your VST folder. If you don't know where your VST folder is, then simply create a new folder and then go into the Preferences of Mixcraft, Spin It Again, or Beatcraft and on the Miscellaneous tab click "Edit VST Effect Folders..." Then add the new VST folder that you created and restart the software. (VST effects are .DLLs and they should be put in your VST folder.)

I know very little about these kinds of folders or how to create them so I'm basically lost now as the above is for using with Mixcraft which I don't use (but probably would have if I knew about this before Reaper). So how do I create a new folder for VST plugins which I can use with RealBand?

Posted By: DrDan Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/17/12 04:51 PM
Quote:

I know very little about these kinds of folders or how to create them so I'm basically lost now as the above is for using with Mixcraft which I don't use (but probably would have if I knew about this before Reaper). So how do I create a new folder for VST plugins which I can use with RealBand?

Read carefully the instruction you quoted. You DON'T need to create a new folder, you simply need to watch where the effects .dll is being installed on your machine. You already have VST directories (folder) on you machine. And most installers will look for them and find them - or they will create there own. You just need to watch where it goes. Then you go into you DAW (Mixcraft, Reaper, RB or any other) and tell them where the new .dll has been placed. Reaper for example will automatically scan your VST folders for any new .dll's installed each time it runs. In RB you need to tell it to find the new .dll.

It is simple, once you do it a couple times. But here is the warning!! There are 1000's of free VST/Dxi effects to download - same great, some good, and some crap. Don't get carried away with ones which don't come highly recommended. If you get a bad .dll it can causes problems and have to be deleted.
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/17/12 06:00 PM
@Jazzmandan,

I actually did download and run the stuff from this link as recommended:

http://www.acoustica.com/plugins/vst-directx.htm

The thing was that after the install box closed (it was successful) I had no idea where anything actually went. I manually searched my programs listing and couldn't find anything. (I guess I could have done the search of my hard drive with the Window search but I didn't). Finally I went into the Add or Remove Programs and deleted Acoustica. Obviously SOMETHING was installed but it disappeared.

Well, I just tried TWO more times and, again, NOTHING! But thisd time when I went into my "Add or Remove Programs" it didn't even have Acoustica listed! Gone. =( I tried again with the same result. NOTHING! Screw it.

Anyhow, what I'd like to have is a specific folder marked "VST Plugins". So, wondering, If I go elsewhere to get some plugins will they ask which folder I want them to go into or do they go wherever they feel like going and, more than likely, disappear.
Posted By: DrDan Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/17/12 06:26 PM
I have those installed. On Win7 they are in:

c:\program files(x86)\VST Plugins

They are named according to : Kjaerhus Audio Classic Series

I will send you a picture of the .dlls and folders when I get my FTP working again....
Posted By: ROG Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/17/12 07:36 PM
It's possible to create a folder for your VST plugins inside the Power Tracks folder. This keeps them all together and if you're backing-up your PT folder (which you should do) this will back-up the VST plugins and the plugin lists at the same time.

Just go to MY COMPUTER - LOCAL DISK - Pt and then FILE - NEW - FOLDER.

When you download, direct the files to that folder. When you want to add the plugin in Power Tracks you'll know where to find them.

You might want to try a search for ANTRESS MODERN SERIES plugins - recommended.

ROG.
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/17/12 08:38 PM
@ROG,
Yes, that was what I wanted, a separate folder for the any VST Plugins I download. So have created that folder. I also found this:

http://antress.blogspot.com/

Looks great! So I click on the following:

>>>Download Here (v4.95)

and also:

>>>Do It Yourself (v1.10)

and direct anything/everything to download to that newly created "VST plugins" folder? Actually, hopefully, the download will give me the option of where I want the stuff to go but that was my problem with the Acoustica stuff it went wherever and I didn't have a choice.

Well, I just thought I'd search for "VST Plugins" and I got 3 different files/folders for the search result. (1) The newly created one which is on my desktop now labeled "VST Plugins". (I can easily delete this if I don't really need it). (2)"VST Plugins" in my Program Files\Line 6. (Obviously installed automatically with the Line 6 interface/POD Farm software) and (3) One labeled "VstPlugins". What bothers me is that I don't know where this "VstPlugins" folder is. I can't find it! (It shows that this folder contains "Amplitude 3 .dll"). Damn I know where it is though.

Anyhow, when I click on the "Fx" button in RB and then click on the "Add VST Plugin" I can now, at least, find my newly created folder ("VST Plugins) on my desktop. However, prior to creating it I couldn't find the folder I supposedly have somewhere. So, I guess, I'll just direct all Plugin downloads to this folder.

I'll give the Antress stuff a download try later today and let ya know how it went.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/18/12 01:46 AM
You could also just install them again and pay attention to the destination folder. It WILL prompt you. If you accept a default location, that's where they will be. If you specify a different folder, that's where they will be.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/18/12 03:39 AM
Quote:

Will give it a shot soon but even if I don't like it the positive thing is that you showed me where the "AUDIO EFFECTS", like Compression, Gate, Exciter, etc. were. Until now I just thought the only ones available were the ones in the "DirectX/VST Window" which you get by clicking the Fx button on the individual tracks.

Hmmm, I noticed by clicking on "Add VST plugin" I can obviously add more stuff. When I click on that I get a window that says "Select a VST plugin." I didn't get it until now (I still don't 10-0%). On this site ( http://www.acoustica.com/plugins/vst-directx.htm ) there was this:

The Kjaerhus plugins have nothing to do with the Mixcraft DAW software. Acoustica has simply done us the favor of hosting the .zip install file.

That is all.

I am going to download the .exe file and see if it decides to put them in a certain location on XP.

OK, on WinXP, where the installer placed all of the files is this directory:

C:\Program Files\VST\

Now, someone who actually has current PG products, can you tell rokq22 how to point PG to the .dll files?
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/18/12 07:12 AM
It's great that I was pointed to stuff this way >>>EDIT>>>AUDIO EFFECTS cuz I never in a hundred years would have found that stuff. Okay, that might be incorrect in that if I spent time clicking on stuff to see what was what I might have found it myself. BY I don't get why by going >>Fx>>Plugin there isn't the same kind of stuff there. Oh well..

Anyhow, I did download the Antress stuff and my life is worse then before. I say that because I downloaded the stuff and unzipped as I was supposed to. The stuff got extracted and I now have 2 different folders./ (1) FullPack 4950 has 5 different things in it and (2) "FullPack 4950" and (2) "Module Packs 1100" has 11 different things in it including 8 files when clicked on has stuff in them too! Okay, I know this stuff is SIMPLE once one gets the hang of it but this just sucks. Again, good thing I can access the compression via RealBand now.

Okay, I'll spend a bit of time tomorrow on this if someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong but I'll be happy with the RB compression and not worry about Plugins from elsewhere for awhile as I have other stuff I should be concentrating on besides plugins I really don't need now.

Oh, and I've decided to get a bass from American Musical Supply soon so I can put down bass parts I want quickly without having to search for the exact bass lines I want (which probably don't exist anyhow) in BIAB/RB. Frankly, I think I'm wasting my time with this Plugin stuff.

P.S. Gee, even my memory sucks. I had forgotten that I had something concerning vocals in my cart at American Musical Supply. It was this:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DOD-LIVE3

and more information is available at:

http://www.vocalistpro.com/en-US

I want that. After the bass that is.
Posted By: carkins Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/19/12 12:34 AM
For about $70 more you can get a new TC Helicon Voice Live Touch on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TC-Helicon-Voice...=item5ae56373af

Not sure how how it compares to the Digitec pedal you are considering feature wise but is popular with a few of the Forum members.
Maybe they can comment on which is better bang for your buck.

Carkins
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/19/12 01:39 PM
Quote:

It's great that I was pointed to stuff this way >>>EDIT>>>AUDIO EFFECTS cuz I never in a hundred years would have found that stuff. Okay, that might be incorrect in that if I spent time clicking on stuff to see what was what I might have found it myself. BY I don't get why by going >>Fx>>Plugin there isn't the same kind of stuff there. Oh well..

I guess it's time for you to spend some quality time with the manual and the help videos on PG's websites.

There are no DAW programs that work the way that you want them to work - where they can always locate 3rd party plugins in a magical way. There is no standard install location on the computer that all plugin developers decided would be the best spot - at least for VST and VSTi plugins. It is the user's responsibility to associate the 3rd party VST plugins with the DAW software.

This is part of the process of using any DAW software, and that is the general category of what RealBand is. If you are just randomly clicking through things, you are going to be quite frustrated.

Way back in the day, 1996 time frame or so, when I bought PG's power tracks pro audio. I read through the manual, chapter by chapter, as well as asked questions here. It was time very well spent. Things have changed significantly over the years, but at least I had a basic understanding of what was going on.

-Scott
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/19/12 03:10 PM
@rockstar_not,
Yeah. I got over my biggest hurdle so far and was the interface install and being able to record. I have enough now to get me going and the other stuff can come later, if need be. (So, the manual reading, viewing some tutorials here and there, and getting a lot of hands on experience is my priority now.)

P.S. I'm getting this:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0326902-500

Posted By: rockstar_not Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/19/12 06:27 PM
Quote:

@rockstar_not,
Yeah. I got over my biggest hurdle so far and was the interface install and being able to record. I have enough now to get me going and the other stuff can come later, if need be. (So, the manual reading, viewing some tutorials here and there, and getting a lot of hands on experience is my priority now.)

P.S. I'm getting this:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0326902-500

Squiers are nice basses for the money. However, I would have helped you save some money there by heading over to rondomusic and picking a bass from their arsenal. You would have spent about half of what you spent on the Squier. Lots of folks here very happy with their rondo purchases. They even have an old school precision copy (sort of)

http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

I get compliments all the time on my SX bass that I bought there for $119 back a few years ago. Pump it through a Behringer V-Amp Bass Pro unit that I got on Craigslist for $100 into our church's PA system with a big ol' subwoofer under the stage and man, the thing just shakes the place.

-Scott
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/19/12 08:50 PM
Thanks for that and will check out them out. (I haven't bought the Squire yet). Yes, money is definitely an issue and one of the main reasons I shop AMS is to take advantage of their "3-EZ Pay" but those prices look good.

Posted By: rockstar_not Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/20/12 02:15 AM
rokq22 - the main criteria I ended up using when I bought that bass was the 'megathread' over at the talkbass forums. It's hundreds of pages long now (they've had to archive it a couple times) with almost nothing but praise - from guys with legit basses like Lakland, Sadowsky, etc. that keep those axes at home and gig with their SX and Agile basses from Rondo.

Some swap out pickups and whatnot, but I can tell you the build quality of my SX bass is way better than my Made-in-Mexico Fender fat strat.

Excellent customer service from Kurt at Rondo. One thing you will likely have to do is a proper setup on the bridge and neck. However, with a bass, this is actually pretty easy to do with some studying of videos on the internet.

You can also see what these run for used on eBay and you'll see they hold a bit over half their MSRP from Rondo. So even if you buy one and don't like it, you can unload it for easily half what you paid Rondo - which you likely won't have to do.
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/20/12 07:17 PM
Well, I'm learning. And, as usual, one thing leads to another and I read a post with someone mentioned Audacity. And I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWflvukIlG4&feature=fvwrel

Now THAT looks REAL promising!
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/20/12 09:34 PM
Just found the following and it looks REALLY great!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWflvukIlG4&feature=fvwrel

Not quite to that point yet but already wondering if vocal tracks from RealBand can be moved to Audacity, changed, and moved back to RealBand again?? Oh, there MUST be a way, huh?
Posted By: rharv Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/20/12 11:57 PM
Sure
In RB use Track export
Open the new file in Audacity and adjust
save the file
Import the Audacity wave file into the RB project using Audio-Import
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/21/12 12:34 AM
Quote:

Sure
In RB use Track export
Open the new file in Audacity and adjust
save the file
Import the Audacity wave file into the RB project using Audio-Import

I'm excited again.
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/21/12 07:25 PM
Quote:

Not sure how how it compares to the Digitec pedal you are considering feature wise but is popular with a few of the Forum members.

Carkins

What a difference a day makes as I wasn't all that impressed with the Audacity and it's effect on MY vocals. So now I'm back into being interested in a processor for the voice (but will do more experimenting with Audacity in the meantime).

Was wondering, would the TC Helicon work with my Line 6 UX1? Dunno off hand, but would the TC Helicon plug into the two "Line Inputs" in the back of the UX1? Or where? Hmmm, I think I need to get away from the computer and YouTube for a bit and go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash and check them out.
Posted By: DrDan Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/21/12 07:32 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Carkins

What a difference a day makes as I wasn't all that impressed with the Audacity and it's effect on MY vocals. So now I'm back into being interested in a processor for the voice (but will do more experimenting with Audacity in the meantime).

Was wondering, would the TC Helicon work with my Line 6 UX1? Dunno off hand, but would the TC Helicon plug into the two "Line Inputs" in the back of the UX1? Or where? Hmmm, I think I need to get away from the computer and YouTube for a bit and go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash and check them out.

Well it may have been $70 at some point in time, but that is way to low to stay there for long (now at $369 which is almost list). The VLT has been discussed here in the forum as much as any single item. It is a USB device so no need for any other interface, but yes it can be routed by external cables into any interface.
Posted By: rharv Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/21/12 10:51 PM
There are enough free tools available that I'd be surprised if you have to spend *anything* to get a good vocal recording.
PM me if you want suggestions. I'd need a sample vocal track (with backing tracks) to make suggestions, but there is a lot of free stuff out there that works really well.
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/21/12 11:30 PM
Quote:

There are enough free tools available that I'd be surprised if you have to spend *anything* to get a good vocal recording.
PM me if you want suggestions. I'd need a sample vocal track (with backing tracks) to make suggestions, but there is a lot of free stuff out there that works really well.

Yeah, I know. And I gotta get it through my head that it isn't like "the old days" where one HAD to buy something cool if they wanted it.

Anyhow, for most the day I've been trying out the TONS of guitar effects on the Line 6 UX1 and I'm only on the presets starting with the letter "G". I have noticed it also has lots of VOCAL presets so will try them out later. Enough for now.

P.S. Just saw a video on YouTube about improving vocals and the guy says "You have to keep in mind that if you suck there's no plug-in in the world that's gonna help you not suck." Oh, darn!

Anyhow, rharv, here's my vocals. And, obviously, before I discovered BIAB/RB. It's just, as of now, I'm thinking I might actually sound "better" (if that's possible) recording my vocals from an amp as opposed to through the computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsCB3p0p5EM

P.P.S. So many headtrips so little time. And just this evening the thought about MICROPHONES dawned on me. I mean, why hasn't there been a single mention about MICROPHONES on this thread? I starting thinking how over the past "X" amount of years that I have accepted my vocals with lots of YouTube videos when recorded via my Sony HandyCam. Hey, they might have "sucked" but they were good enough for me. Then I bought a ZOOM Q3HD which, supposedly, had one of the best recording MICROPHONES FOR MUSIC at the time. But I wasn't satisfied. Heck, I sound pretty darn good, sometimes, at karaoke nights and less so when recording via the video camera. Now here I am sort of dissatisfied with the recordings with the computer. So I'm out there searching for various plug-ins but not a mention about the MICROPHONE.

Well, the microphone I've been using to record so far is a Peavey PVM580TN. Tomorrow I'll try an oldie Shure PL91A. Will using the Shure over the Peavey matter? Well check this out:

http://www.recordproducer.com/?a=154

http://www.recordproducer.com/?a=156

Hmmm, interesting. Okay, I haven't had time yet to view the videos but I most certainly will tomorrow. But before I go to bed I'm now wondering, does a $1000 microphone really sound all that much better than a $99 microphone when one can use an endless amount of plug-ins to enhance the vocals recorded by that $99 microphone?

Posted By: DrDan Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/22/12 04:04 PM
Quote:

.....guy says "You have to keep in mind that if you suck there's no plug-in in the world that's gonna help you not suck." Oh, darn!

Absolutely
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/22/12 04:57 PM
Well I compared my Peavey PVM580TN with the Shure PL91A and I am gonna use the Shure! I found that the Peavey was a bit too "sensitive" while the Shure isn't and I like that. I have a pop screen but I could put my mouth up to the Shure and it sounded pretty good. Have to turn the mic gain up more with it but that's quite okay. I recorded a track and then messed with it in Audacity and, well, I think I can actually pass as a not too good singer. Which is better than sucking.
Posted By: rharv Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/23/12 01:53 AM
Shure SM58 and SM57 have been used on a lot of recordings. There's a reason for that. It's not the cost of the mic; it's the result that matters.

A track recorded with an expensive mic *may* sound 'better' when A/B compared to a track recorded with a less expensive mic .. but the sound (in the mix) from the less expensive mic may just fit better in the end. Sound characteristics of given mic, and many other factors come into play.

One of the forum members, Harvey Gerst, wrote a nice article on mics a while back. I'll try to find a link. Mic selection can make a huge difference, but don't let anything (including price or reviews) influence your decision. Use your ears.
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/23/12 03:35 AM
Quote:

One of the forum members, Harvey Gerst, wrote a nice article on mics a while back. I'll try to find a link. Mic selection can make a huge difference, but don't let anything (including price or reviews) influence your decision. Use your ears.

Well how about if you just "know" a mic is good because of the large amount of users of it? Like the Shure 55SH? Needless to say I just bid on one on eBay and haven't even heard what I might sound through one yet.
Posted By: rharv Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/23/12 11:02 PM
I've never *known* a mic was right from reviews (without hearing it), but I do hope it turns out to be the perfect one.
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/24/12 03:10 PM
Quote:

I've never *known* a mic was right from reviews (without hearing it), but I do hope it turns out to be the perfect one.

I guess I was saying that I just have my heart set on getting a Shure 55SH. But now that I've seen this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRO7V2MidX8

I'll be going to Guitar Center and/or Sam Ash (no eBay for the mic!) to try the Shure 55SH and, while I'm there, I'll probably check out the Shure SM57 also. But, well, the mics I have now are probably good themselves. (The Electro-Voice PL91A and Peavey PVM580TN, with the edge going toward the ELV for me.) Also, and this might be a bit strange, but the "Cool Factor" means something to me as well and, to ME, the Shure 55SH has it.

Hmmm, was the Shure 57 originally designed as in INSTRUMENT mic?

P.S. I was actually GLAD I was outbid on eBay for the Shure 55SH. My high bid was $91.53.
Posted By: rharv Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/24/12 03:15 PM
G.A.S. - we've all had it.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/24/12 03:23 PM
Rokq, you don't know who Harvey Gerst is do you? Google his name and slow down, you're making me dizzy.

Bob
Posted By: rokq22 Re: A few questions concerning VOCALS - 03/24/12 03:39 PM
Quote:

Rokq, you don't know who Harvey Gerst is do you? Google his name and slow down, you're making me dizzy.

Bob

Not until now, thanks. I liked this already:

http://www.mojopie.com/2008/12/harvey-gerst-tells-you-how-to-quickly.html

Frankly, as a guy who grew up on the tinny transistor radio I'm not into production perfection so the stuff can be a bit rough around the edges. For me, I just want to get my versions of the songs out there and move on. Actually, it's kinda weird looking at some of my older YouTube videos with just a drum machine and acoustic and, now, hearing how well the music sounds with BIAB/RB, I probably will do some newer versions of them using BIAB/RB and electric.
© PG Music Forums