PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker new potential user w/ questions - 04/04/09 01:03 AM
I am considering buying BiaB 2009 w/ Real Tracks. (mega paks) I have the demo which is 2007 demo.

I know nothing about Biab/RT. I have been using a Cakewalk product with much success. I have a Firewire Saffire recording interface for mid & audio input with really low latency. My main reason for considering Biab & RT is for the decent sounding instruments...like dobro, fiddle, pedal steel, and other instruments.

I guess my question is If I get Biab/RT, (I might be off course on this) I could import an MP3 track created in cake.... drums, guitar, vocals, and then I would desire to create a new track in Biab/RT using the instrument sounds.... sax, fiddle, whatever..... so could I send my midi in to Biab to use it as a soft synth to create either a midi or convert it to a wave audio for export back into my DAW?

Am I on target with this of completely off course...... if so...what is the best way to use Biab RT to create audio instrument tracks for use in my DAW projects?
Posted By: Mac Re: new potential user w/ questions - 04/04/09 03:03 AM
You can do it in many ways.

*Export MIDI tracks from BIAB as MIDI file to open in Cakewalk and continue working, recording your own tracks to the backing, etc.

*Export RealTracks as WAV files, separate tracks to import into the Cakewalk session.

*Convert MIDI tracks to wav file first and export to Cakewalk as wav files.

*Any combination of the above.

--Mac
Posted By: silvertones Re: new potential user w/ questions - 04/04/09 11:48 AM
Make sure you understand the difference between BIAB with Real Tracks & Real Band with Real Tracks.
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: new potential user w/ questions - 04/05/09 09:35 AM
BIAB/RB has the "chord wizard" that accepts audio files and tries to create the beat and chord structure of the audio file in BIAB. If you have a midi file from cakewalk, that would work even better. The Chord wizard feature can be tricky at times.

Once you have the correct chord structure in BIAB/RB, you can add real track instruments to your heart's content.

Here's an example of a song Letha sent me and I used the auto chord wizard and then added dobro and fiddle (and a little guitar/harp from me): http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7426062 . She use a little drum machine, so the tempo stayed nice and steady.

Kevin
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: new potential user w/ questions - 04/06/09 08:55 PM
Since this is the Real Band forum, let me focus on that because you get RB with the package. Consider Real Band as Cakewalk with Band in a Box combined in the same program. All you need to do is save your Cake project as a midi file and then open it up in RB. RB will use the same synth you used in Cake or you can use different synths if you like. Once you have the file open, you have everything on it's own track just like any other sequencer. Here's the really neat part. You can now select a Biab style, right click any empty track then select either a midi instrument or a Real Track instrument and create a track using that style. Oh, yeah you have to make sure the chords are set up properly in the chord grid. Anyway, you have 48 total tracks to create as many different instrument tracks as you want using several different Biab styles to go with what you've already done in Cake. This gives you a ton of options to choose from in your final mix. If there's a track you don't like, select a different style and try it again.

Bob
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: new potential user w/ questions - 04/07/09 01:42 AM
Hey herb, how's it goin' ? BiaB is a great track bed arranger, as is RB. RB is just MC on steriods. The typical DAW side of RB is very much like MC, as it is DX based, and will use TTS, or VSC and allow you to use some sound fonts. I have had issues with SFZfree in it so far as the VSTi implimentation is a little behind MC to date, but the folks here are working on that issue. The other issues is that it does not use Jamstix as well. The jam feature does not work, it will act as a midi drum synth though. The real advantage to BiaB and Rb is in the ability to type in the chords and generate a basic song by style. And to take an audio track and anylize it with the chord wizard and find the chords. Adding Real drums and real tracks is a great add on as well. Over at Music Town there are links to some nice tutorials for these programs.
Posted By: Stephan326 Re: new potential user w/ questions - 04/07/09 08:39 PM
What is this Music Town that you speak of?
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: new potential user w/ questions - 04/08/09 02:20 AM
Music Town is a small web site i have where a few of us store tutorials, and tech notes, and ideas. We have a chat box there and use it at times to help Newbies with software setup and other issues.
Posted By: Stephan326 Re: new potential user w/ questions - 04/08/09 01:17 PM
How can we access the tutorials? It may help close some gaps for me.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: new potential user w/ questions - 04/08/09 09:54 PM
Stephan, here is the link for the original stuff Ray did here. http://rsthigpen.com/free/
Posted By: Stephan326 Re: new potential user w/ questions - 04/09/09 10:48 PM
Thanks!!!
© PG Music Forums