PG Music Home
Posted By: Antho1965 Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/13/16 11:33 PM
I can't believe that this would not be possible yet I am at a loss of a way to figure this out.

I have a track this using all Real tracks, created in BB and imported to add to it in RB.

I would like to be able to do the following...

Create a new Midi drum track based on the existing track, as you would with a real drum track.

Is this possible?... If so someone please tell me how...

Thank you.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/14/16 06:28 AM
Tony,

Generating midi drums is certainly possible. It's necessary to keep in mind that the midi drums are determined by whatever style you have loaded. If you wish to change the drums, then it's necessary to change the style. Unlike BIAB, Realband won't automatically regenerate the tracks when a style is changed so it's excellent for trying out different midi drums.

Try the following (this is what works for me)...

1. Load in a song that you created in BIAB.

2. Click on one of the generated tracks and then press CTRL+A to select the track. (I don't think this bit is really necessary but I mention it just in case it was needed in earlier versions or builds of RB.)

3. Now right click on blank track (not one of the blue tracks that are reserved for BIAB). Try track #20 or thereabouts... that should be safe.

4. From the right-click menu that appears, follow the 1, 2, 3 on the image below.

Let us know how you go.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Antho1965 Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/15/16 04:07 PM
Noel,

I did this and all I got was the count for the drum track in the new Midi track I created.

Did I do something wrong?

What does your step 2 do, does it tell the Midi track what and how to create the drums? If so that may be why I didn't get much as I do not believe I did this. Do I need to select the drum track for step 2 or can it be any track as you seemed to have stated?

I shall try it again following your steps and let you know how it works.

Thanks
Posted By: Antho1965 Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/17/16 10:49 AM
Noel, worked great thanks man...
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/17/16 02:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Antho1965
Noel, worked great thanks man...

Excellent!

In relation to your question, selecting the track tells RB the region of the track where you want the regeneration to occur. This is especially important with Realtracks.

Glad all is going now.
Noel
Posted By: Antho1965 Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/18/16 12:59 PM
So now with these Midi drums and Kontak 5 running Vir2 Studio Kit Builder, it has just opened up a whole world of drumming sounds to all my recordings... Awesome...
Posted By: dga Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/20/16 05:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Tony,

Generating midi drums is certainly possible. It's necessary to keep in mind that the midi drums are determined by whatever style you have loaded. If you wish to change the drums, then it's necessary to change the style. Unlike BIAB, Realband won't automatically regenerate the tracks when a style is changed so it's excellent for trying out different midi drums.

Try the following (this is what works for me)...

1. Load in a song that you created in BIAB.

2. Click on one of the generated tracks and then press CTRL+A to select the track. (I don't think this bit is really necessary but I mention it just in case it was needed in earlier versions or builds of RB.)

3. Now right click on blank track (not one of the blue tracks that are reserved for BIAB). Try track #20 or thereabouts... that should be safe.

4. From the right-click menu that appears, follow the 1, 2, 3 on the image below.

Let us know how you go.

Regards,
Noel
Thanks Noel, now can you suggest a source for the MIDI drum sounds?
Posted By: dga Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/21/16 07:45 PM
I continue to generate (3) Drums as suggested however all MIDI tracks are generated for the song, as many as 7 some above my real tracks some below. Still fighting with RB to get any specific drum to sound. And the drum RT and the MIDI seem to be out of sync.
Posted By: rharv Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/21/16 08:25 PM
Do some track names in your song have a different color font?

'Make them all BB tracks regular tracks' if so.
Posted By: dga Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/21/16 09:05 PM
Yes, select just those tracks and make them BIAB tracks? I don't want to convert my RT to BIAB tracks.
Posted By: rharv Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/21/16 09:13 PM
If they are a different color, just use Edit-Track-Make all tracks regular tracks.

All it does is make the tracks all start acting like regular tracks..
No more 'auto generate' or 'auto-select' issues.

They act like the rest of your tracks (which presumably do not regenerate).

Otherwise it affects nothing, really.

If you think it may, just use Save As (and rename) to make a copy .. then no worries.
Posted By: dga Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/21/16 09:32 PM
Not the issue I am chasing, I just wanted to generate a MIDI drum track. I don't want any other MIDI track generated in the first place. All I'm going to do with these other tracks is delete them.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/22/16 12:45 PM
dga,

To solve this, I suggest going right back to basics. Before using Sampletank or any other sophisticated soft synth, what I'd do is to get the Coyote WT general midi synth working first. Then, once that's up and running with drum sounds, a more sophisticated synth can be plugged into the track. My experience is that it's better to solve one problem at a time rather all problems at once.

As I see it, the main sources for error are usually the synth, ASIO, BIAB track versus REGULAR track, audio settings.

What I'd do...

1. Change the audio drive to MME. This is found under "Options | Prefences" and then the Audio Tab.

2. Under "Options | Prefences", MIDI tab, set the default softsynth to Coyote WT. (This is a very basic general midi synth. Once this is working, then it's only a step away from getting a more elaborate synth working.)

3. Exit RB to ensure that the set-up changes are written to the configuration files. Restart RB.

4. Load in an SGU/MGU file. (We need to make sure that a style is present as RB gets it's midi drums from the loaded style. If no style is active, midi drums will not generate.)

5. Follow my instructions in the post above about generating the drums.

NOTE: It's necessary to select a non-BIAB track (that's why I suggested track #20 above). If you try to generate the drums on a track with blue writing (a BIAB track), it won't work. A regular track, such as #20, will have black writing.

Let us know how you go.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. rharv's advice is always good. He knows much more about RB than I do.
Posted By: dga Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/22/16 02:35 PM
ViderTracks and Noel thanks your responses to my PMs helped me set up the MIDI sounds correctly.

The only issue I have now is when I generate drums as per your instructions Noel, RB generates all 8 midi tracks, labeled all wrong, at first I didn't think I had a drum track, however, after looking at each track I found out the track labeled Hammond organ was the drum track. Just by looking at the data, still no sound.

?? How do I get just the drum track to generate? Why do you think I am getting all the tracks to generate I have done this 4 times with the same results.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/22/16 02:52 PM
Originally Posted By: dga

?? How do I get just the drum track to generate? Why do you think I am getting all the tracks to generate I have done this 4 times with the same results.

All tracks that are not frozen will regenerate. Frozen tracks have a blue asterisk on the mixer. Click the asterisk to freeze it then regenerate. Only non-frozen tracks will regenerate.

Does this resolve?

Attached picture 2016-04-23_03-48-50.jpg
Posted By: dga Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/22/16 03:02 PM
Sorry to mislead you VideoTrack. I know about regenerating the tracks in BIAB.

I'm in RealBand

Trying to GENERATE just the MIDI drum part/track for a song. When I do the procedure Noel outlined above I get 8 MIDI tracks to generate.
Posted By: dga Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/22/16 03:36 PM
I am also confusing you because I started this thread in response to another discussion, named Midi drums in RB or BB, then began this new thread as Generate MIDI drums in RB
Posted By: rharv Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/22/16 08:25 PM
Not the issue I am chasing, I just wanted to generate a MIDI drum track. I don't want any other MIDI track generated in the first place. All I'm going to do with these other tracks is delete them.

and
Quote:
I get 8 MIDI tracks to generate.

My point is, the only things that cause RB to generate multiple tracks;
A. You Selected them all
B. Some of the first 8 tracks are BiaB Tracks.

BiaB tracks act like they are in BIAB. When it generates it wants to generate them all. IF the track names are a different color, than the tracks further down signifying BiaB tracks, (you didn't say) ... then try the suggestion to humor me.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/22/16 09:35 PM
Hi David.

The only issue I have now is when I generate drums as per your instructions Noel, RB generates all 8 midi tracks, labeled all wrong, at first I didn't think I had a drum track, however, after looking at each track I found out the track labeled Hammond organ was the drum track. Just by looking at the data, still no sound.

It seems that some of my instructions might not been clear. Just to clarify and help isolate the problem you're experiencing...

What was the number of the track that you tried to generate the drums on?

Was the track a non-BIAB track as shown below?

Did you try my suggestion by selecting track #20 (maybe another track was accidentally selected)? For drum generation to work, it should be a non-BIAB track.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: dga Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/22/16 10:42 PM
Hi David.

It seems that some of my instructions might not been clear. Just to clarify and help isolate the problem you're experiencing...

What was the number of the track that you tried to generate the drums on?

Was the track a non-BIAB track as shown below?

Did you try my suggestion by selecting track #20 (maybe another track was accidentally selected)? For drum generation to work, it should be a non-BIAB track.

Regards,
Noel

Noel I chose track 18 as it was blank like your #20 track and gray. There are other BIAB tracks 1-8 in the song and even though there are instructions in other threads how to convert these track to RB tracks I have not been able to do this on any of my songs. SO here is the steps I have taken and to the best of my ability what I am doing.

I open a BIAB.sgu file. The first 8 tracks are empty but, they are BIAB tracks. I try to convert them to non BIAB tracks but am unsuccessful.

So I go to track 18 which is grey and empty select it Ctrl-A to select the entire track, right click on the track, go to Generate> Midi Track> Drums. 8 tracks are generated on tracks 18 - 26, one is a drum track but labeled Hammond Organ. Then I select the drum (Hammond organ) track CTRL - A go Edit> Midi> Split Drum Track. Now below track 26 7 individual drum tracks are created, no kick snare or Hi Hat there, but individual drum tracks populate tracks 3-8 Drum Icon at the end of the track but labeled Piano, Guitar etc. Kick, Snare, HiHat etc a 6 piece drum set on separate tracks
Posted By: rharv Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/22/16 10:52 PM
Quote:
I open a BIAB.sgu file. The first 8 tracks are empty but, they are BIAB tracks. I try to convert them to non BIAB tracks but am unsuccessful.

I think the root problem lies here

How do you try to convert them to non BiaB tracks?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/22/16 10:56 PM
David,

Thanks for all those details. They help me get a clear picture of the problem.

Some thoughts that occur to me...

Have you updated to the latest version of RB found at the below link? (You can double-check your version by looking under "Help | About Realband".)

The fact that you can't convert the BB tracks to regular tracks is very strange. It should simply be a matter of "Edit | Track | Make all BB tracks regular tracks". It's necessary to load in an generate a song before the tracks can be converted (as rharv has isolated above).

One last thing to try is to set User Privileges to "run as administrator". To do this, right-click on the RB startup shortcut, select properties and then have a look under the "Compatibility" tab to set this option permanently.

If this doesn't bring joy...

I'd try returning RB to factory settings. This will reset all audio and midi settings, too. To do this...

...rename the REALBAND.INI file and RB.CFG to something like REALBAND.INI.OLD and RB.CFG.OLD. This will effectively "delete" those files so that RB is forced to create new ones (thus the factory rest). If the problem is not solved by doing this, you can always delete the newly created files and then return the original files to their original names.

See if any of the above help.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: dga Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/23/16 12:16 AM
Originally Posted By: rharv
Quote:

I think the root problem lies here

How do you try to convert them to non BiaB tracks?

Edit>Tracks>Make all BB tracks Regular tracks
Posted By: dga Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/23/16 12:21 AM
David,

Thanks for all those details. They help me get a clear picture of the problem.

Some thoughts that occur to me...

Have you updated to the latest version of RB found at the below link? (You can double-check your version by looking under "Help | About Realband".)

The fact that you can't convert the BB tracks to regular tracks is very strange. It should simply be a matter of "Edit | Track | Make all BB tracks regular tracks". It's necessary to load in an generate a song before the tracks can be converted (as rharv has isolated above).

One last thing to try is to set User Privileges to "run as administrator". To do this, right-click on the RB startup shortcut, select properties and then have a look under the "Compatibility" tab to set this option permanently.

See if any of the above help.

Regards,
Noel

RB Version 2016(2) I don't see your link? Running as Administrator already, reset to Factory settings yesterday afternoon.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/23/16 02:34 AM
Sorry,

Here's the link...

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm

Build 3 is the latest version. You currently have Build 2. Download and install the update and see if it helps.

Also, when you reset to factory to settings, did you do it by renaming the abovementioned files? If not, renaming the two files is definitely worth trying.
Posted By: dga Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/23/16 03:04 PM
Sorry,

Here's the link...

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm

Build 3 is the latest version. You currently have Build 2. Download and install the update and see if it helps.

Also, when you reset to factory to settings, did you do it by renaming the abovementioned files? If not, renaming the two files is definitely worth trying.

OK now in version 3 I can convert all BB track to normal tracks. Yes. I renamed the files to ini3.old extension this is the 3rd time I renamed the .cfg and .ini file
Posted By: dga Re: Generate Midi Drums in RB? - 04/23/16 03:05 PM
will try splitting the drums tomorrow, working on vocals today.
© PG Music Forums