PG Music Home
My wish is for Band-in-a-Box song files having midi instrument tracks assume RealBand's default midi resolution setting when the files are imported into RealBand.

Presently RealBand is capable of using a much higher midi resolution than the highest setting available in Band-in-a-Box. The high resolution settings available in RealBand allow for much better precision editing capability than is available in Band-in-a-Box. RealBand users can select a high midi resolution setting to be the default setting for RealBand but this setting is ignored when a SGU or MGU file is imported. This can cause a great deal of user frustration as the user tries to edit audio or midi tracks and the edit points can not be highlighted correctly because the edit points are too wide. The user then must go into settings and set the midi resolution back to the high resolution default setting.

Many PG Music users rely on RealTracks, UserTracks, midi instrument tracks exported as an audio waveform, audio loops or custom audio tracks and rarely, if at all, think about midi. Few users think of changing a midi setting to enhance their audio editing experience in RealBand.

Allowing Band-in-a-Box song files assume RealBand default midi resolution setting as part of the importation process will greatly enhance the RealBand user experience. I hope you will agree.
Jim, yes, this is a great idea. If the MIDI file already has a higher resolution, that shouldn't be compromised when opening it in Realband. (However, if the SGU was created in BiaB, it won't have high resolution anyway?)

+1
YES. +1 plus Eleventy

Quote:
(However, if the SGU was created in BiaB, it won't have high resolution anyway?)

That's not the point. It is easy enough to adjust the numbers to match a default resolution. 120 resolution in BiaB is easily adjusted to 3840 in RB... and audio editing becomes much more exacting.
If you divide a beat into 120 chunks it is MUCH more granular than dividing it into 3840 chunks.

Tempo comes into play, but 3840 resolution can make a HUGE difference on *audio* editing... and any recording going forward, whether it be MIDI or audio.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Jim, yes, this is a great idea. If the MIDI file already has a higher resolution, that shouldn't be compromised when opening it in Realband. (However, if the SGU was created in BiaB, it won't have high resolution anyway?)

Working from memory I believe the highest midi resolution setting in BiaB is 480 or 960 while the highest setting in RB is 3840.

If I have set my RB preference to 3840, why would I want my preference to change to something else without telling me and then pop up a warning when I remember to reset it?
Originally Posted By: rharv
YES. +1 plus Eleventy

Quote:
(However, if the SGU was created in BiaB, it won't have high resolution anyway?)

That's not the point. It is easy enough to adjust the numbers to match a default resolution. 120 resolution in BiaB is easily adjusted to 3840 in RB... and audio editing becomes much more exacting.
If you divide a beat into 120 chunks it is MUCH more granular than dividing it into 3840 chunks.

Tempo comes into play, but 3840 resolution can make a HUGE difference on *audio* editing... and any recording going forward, whether it be MIDI or audio.

Yes, totally I agree. I was only referencing the starting point, not the ultimate result. This would really be an excellent addition.
Yes, agreed a great addition to add.
Quote:
Working from memory I believe the highest midi resolution setting in BiaB is 480 or 960 while the highest setting in RB is 3840.

BIAB resolution is strictly 120 ticks per quarter note.
Bump
© PG Music Forums