PG Music Home
Posted By: CloClo Tracks Rendering - 12/31/09 11:00 AM
As I have today both Mac and Win Versions, I can render my real Tracks in WMA or AIFF.
As I use Digital Performer, I can choose the working audio format also in WMA or AIFF avoiding the conversion step.

So what is the best strategy ? Which BIAB version brings the best audio results ? If my arrangements are not
exactly at the same recording speed, is one version better when I need some time stretching (20%) for instance ?
Posted By: Mac Re: Tracks Rendering - 12/31/09 02:04 PM
.wav and AIFF are actually identical PCM digital audio files, assuming the same bit depth and bitrate. In BiaB, the depth and rate are locked at 16/44.1 no matter what, so they are essentially functionally identical as far as the digital audio part of the thing goes.

As a matter of fact, they are so identical that the only difference between the two involves only the file header information that tells the OS what to do in order to interpret the numbers that follow. Those numbers that follow are identical after that point.

No audio differences or losses will be incurred, you can safely jump back and forth between the two, matter of fact I've had to do that at this studio all the time for years while collaborating on Jingles and Underscores and the like between studios.

PCM audio is PCM audio is PCM audio. For those who may be wondering what that stands for: Pulse Code Modulation.

--Mac
Posted By: GWA Re: Tracks Rendering - 01/05/10 10:51 PM
Read Macs answer carefully - wav and aiff are the same, wma isn't, so I would do as Mac suggests take one of those two...

I too haver rendered for the first time on the Mac tonite and got confusing results - when I exported the mid-file I didn't get any Chords to external device on Ch. 5??? Everything is checked in the box at Midi/Output chords... but then there are no Ch 5 in the midi-file and it doesn't show on the keyboard playing. This has always worked in the Win-version, have I missed something or is this a known problem?
© PG Music Forums