PG Music Home
Posted By: Icelander Video games? - 02/01/24 06:25 PM
I once was having a debate on here (about whatever) and used an example from video games as an analogy, which promptly went right over everyone's head and didn't help my case at all grin
So here's my question - Is it possible that people who play video games and people who play BBox are two demographics so distant that there just is no overlap whatsoever? Am I the only one?! shocked
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Video games? - 02/01/24 07:29 PM
I use BB but I don't play video games.... does that help?

The most recent video game I own is the Microsoft Flight Simulator that still as the World Trade Center Towers in downtown Manhattan. They removed them from the next version. I haven't flown that simulator in twenty years now. As a licensed pilot, it's one thing to jump in a plane and fly somewhere and spend an hour doing that... it's another thing totally to do that same flight in a simulator sitting in a chair at a desk waiting for the miles to tick away.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Video games? - 02/01/24 07:35 PM
I don't think so, isn't forum member Allanah an avid gamer.

I tend to dip in myself often but mainly on VR (Quest 2) all the time these days, though I am no dedicated gamer, most of the time not finishing the game, especially if its fairly difficult.

Still enjoy it though, just tried Assassins Creed VR (got to mission 10 before I got fed up with it as was not helping my eyesight) so have moved on now to Peaky Blinders VR. So far its enjoyable.

Eyesight is not good which is a factor (Nystagmus) but still you have to work with what you have.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Video games? - 02/01/24 08:49 PM
No, you are not the only one. Not only do I play video games I wrote a couple for the Bally Astrocade video game's user group. I also did a golf game for the Atari computer system, but both of those were years ago. Now on occasion I will play a couple of Wii games, mainly hockey or pinball.
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Video games? - 02/01/24 10:59 PM
I play computer games and play guitar, bass guitar, lap steel guitar and banjo.

There are also concerts for gamers so they can hear the music of their favorite games.

Video Games Live

...Deb
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Video games? - 02/02/24 12:15 AM
All I play is "games", if you count backgammon, pool and chess as a game. But the wildly graphic intensive shooter type games, nah.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Video games? - 02/02/24 01:19 AM
I have to confess that I've never played a video game in my entire life. Not that there's anything wrong with video games.
I'm getting the picture that there is no definite connect or disconnect between video games and BiaB users.
Posted By: musocity Re: Video games? - 02/02/24 05:13 AM
My first job was fixing pinball machines, jukeboxes and video games, then I built video game machines myself then ended up here fixing Biab.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: Video games? - 02/02/24 05:58 AM
I've been playing video games since the old Atari and before that on arcades with Space Invaders and Asteroids and even Pong. Nowadays I play FPS games on the computer as well as other types.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Video games? - 02/02/24 05:07 PM
Another thing which brought on this thread is when I heard this:

Now, I instantly recognised the game this song is from, because I've played it - and I also instantly recognised the BBox style that's clearly been used in it, because I've played it cool

And that made me wonder just how many people would be able to make that claim, which I still remain convinced is - hardly anyone!
Posted By: etcjoe Re: Video games? - 02/03/24 01:25 PM
_BALFRED.STY. Add a trombone soloist and mute the drums and piano for the first verse. Basically right on BIAB.
Posted By: KeithS Re: Video games? - 02/05/24 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Icelander
Is it possible that people who play video games and people who play BBox are two demographics so distant that there just is no overlap whatsoever? Am I the only one?! shocked
Before my health took a nose dive and I couldn’t pass my flight physical, I had a private pilot’s certification and flew Cessna 172, 182, and 336 routinely. Now the only way that I can get my flying fix is with MSFS and a set of Varjo Aero VR. The only other games that I play are some of the old WWII submarine simulations.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Video games? - 02/05/24 05:51 PM
Nothing since analogue pinball! 😜

J&B
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Video games? - 02/06/24 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Icelander
<...snip...>
So here's my question - Is it possible that people who play video games and people who play BBox are two demographics so distant that there just is no overlap whatsoever? Am I the only one?! shocked
The last video game I played was “Pong” on my Atari computer. It got boring quite quickly. Of course, the games are much better now, but I have other things I'm more interested in doing in my play time.

So FWIW, count me in the group that plays music, but not video games.

Notes ♫
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Video games? - 02/06/24 10:05 PM
I do enjoy playing a few games occasionally with my children. Mario Kart is lots of fun. Personal all time favorites are Tetris, Sonic, Mario, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, and a few more. I am not a gamer, but would play once a week for half an hour or so.

One of the last games that really hooked me is actually on mobile devices / phones called Brain It On. It's a puzzle, but of very different kind. It makes you think outside the box (I am not talking about BIAB). Pretty cool brain exercising app. Levels could last as little as a few seconds. Great time waster if you are standing in line or waiting for bus, etc. I urge those who like logic games to try it. I think first 20 levels are free and than it is only couple of dollars to buy full version. Runs on Android, iphone and their tablet counterparts.

Posted By: MarioD Re: Video games? - 02/06/24 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Rustyspoon#
I do enjoy playing a few games occasionally with my children. Mario Kart is lots of fun. Personal all time favorites are Tetris, Sonic, Mario, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, and a few more. I am not a gamer, but would play once a week for half an hour or so.

Misha, I want to thank you for naming me as one of your favorites cool grin

Ducking and running for cover.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Video games? - 02/07/24 12:00 AM
Mario,
don't get all rosy. Only when you behave well.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Video games? - 02/07/24 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by Rustyspoon#
Mario,
don't get all rosy. Only when you behave well.

Misha,
If behaving well were a criteria I would never get rosy!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Video games? - 02/07/24 01:31 AM
sorry I had to try it smile

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: MarioD Re: Video games? - 02/07/24 01:46 AM
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
© PG Music Forums