PG Music Home
Posted By: Bass Thumper A 1-chord wonder? - 04/23/24 03:07 PM
I think this song is great. The multiple keyboards, saxes and percussion are all masterful. Presumably it's a 1-chord wonder which I am a tad skeptical about.

"Cannonball" was written and sung by keyboardist Rick Davies entirely in the chord of G minor. Davies stated in an interview "I did it simply to see if it could be done".

Can someone confirm if this is truly a 1 chord song?

Cannonball
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: A 1-chord wonder? - 04/23/24 07:08 PM
At first listen, while I'm typing this, it doesn't sound like a one-chord song to me.

I've played a few one-chord pop songs in my years, and I find them challenging to improvise an interesting solo to.

Notes ♫
Posted By: MarioD Re: A 1-chord wonder? - 04/23/24 07:34 PM
According to this sheet music it is not a one chord song:

https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0128775

https://www.virtualsheetmusic.com/score/HL-5543.html
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: A 1-chord wonder? - 04/23/24 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Notes Norton
At first listen, while I'm typing this, it doesn't sound like a one-chord song to me.

Same - it also doesn't sound a one-chord song to me.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: A 1-chord wonder? - 04/24/24 01:15 PM
I remember covering “Electric Avenue”, by Eddy Grant, for a regular customer.

It's basically G for the duration of the song. I left room for a solo, as I am the solo hog, and never did one I was happy with. One chord and a repetitive rhythm was just to confining (boring) for me.

We ended up eventually dropping the song, as that customer was a long time ago, the song got old, and it never got a very good reception.

Notes ♫
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: A 1-chord wonder? - 04/24/24 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by MarioD
According to this sheet music it is not a one chord song:
Thanks for these links. Since I don't read sheet music it never occurred to me to search for sheet music.

So we all agree that it is not a 1-chord song.
I wonder how Wiki got it wrong, this may be the 1st time I've seen Wiki mess-up.
Wiki Link
Posted By: DrDan Re: A 1-chord wonder? - 04/24/24 03:04 PM
Ya, One Note Samba actual is more than one note! grin
© PG Music Forums