PG Music Home
Posted By: Digihound Help with Dire Straits! - 03/26/10 05:51 PM
Can any of you experienced musicians out there please help me with identifying a chord in the Dire Straits song:
Why Worry?

You can find it on YouTube at this address:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im2SoltmZEc

About bar 27-28 (the timing adjusts just before) after the introduction and just before the start of the vocal, there is a high piano/harpsichord piece that runs down through various notes that discord with the chord that I've been using. I've tried everything I can think of. It may need a few different chords for the 2-3 bars involved.

Oh, and just to complicate matters, I'm setting it up in C (the chord in question is a variation on G), not the song's original key! But if you can only tell me in the original key I can transpose it.

Thanks in anticipation of all help.
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Help with Dire Straits! - 03/26/10 06:24 PM
Quote:

Can any of you experienced musicians out there please help me with identifying a chord in the Dire Straits song:
Why Worry?

About bar 27-28 (the timing adjusts just before) after the introduction and just before the start of the vocal, there is a high piano/harpsichord piece that runs down through various notes that discord with the chord that I've been using. I've tried everything I can think of. It may need a few different chords for the 2-3 bars involved.

It's just a straight A Major chord. The piano is playing a bunch of decorating notes on top of this chord.
He's playing the song in the key of D Major so it's the dominant chord in that key.
If you are playing the song in the key of C Major, then the chord you are looking for is a straight G Maj.
Posted By: Digihound Re: Help with Dire Straits! - 03/26/10 07:16 PM
Thanks BIABGuy,

That's where I came from - but the piano includes a Bb in its run, so that's what discords with the G Maj.

The notes I think he plays in sequence are (or, rather, my equivalents):

F E C Bb D C G A Bb F E C Bb D C G

Thanks
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Help with Dire Straits! - 03/26/10 07:31 PM
Quote:

The notes I think he plays in sequence are (or, rather, my equivalents):

F E C Bb D C G A Bb F E C Bb D C G

Thanks

Don't worry about all those piano notes.
Just play a straight G Maj. and everything will be OK.
Posted By: Digihound Re: Help with Dire Straits! - 03/26/10 07:39 PM
Thanks,

But with the style I'm using it sounds terrible!

Any other suggestions would be welcome!
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Help with Dire Straits! - 03/26/10 08:07 PM
Then don't use the style - pick up on what you like with the style, and play it yourself rather than the machine. This is actually a fairly simple song, with the exception of Knopfler's thumb and first couple finger picking style. There are several PG'ers here who can knock out that electric piano part in their sleep. I'm thinking of Ray Thigpen, Garry Curran, Mac, etc. I could do a serviceable job of it, but I have some other music collaboration deadlines that are looming.

The piano descending figure is not going to show up as a 'chord', as it has several 'decoration' notes in it. All throughout the song, there are classic country/ Floyd Cramer like (but slower) 2nd note of the scale grace notes into the major 3rd note of the scale for a chord in the electric piano parts.

Even though it's a fairly simple song it's also a great song - one of my favorites from that Dire Straits album.

This is definitely a song to wean oneself from dependence upon BIAB/Real Tracks and just use good ol' playing skills either yourself or from a willing forumite here on PG forums.
Posted By: Mac Re: Help with Dire Straits! - 03/26/10 10:27 PM
In the video, the held chord is an A, the dominant of the key of D, and the piano notes are

B-D-C#-A-G-B-A-F#-G-D-C#-F#-G etc (these may not be exact sequence, I'm in a hurry here, but the note choices are indeed what he's playin'...)

Man, that's an A13

Okay, to a rocker, its a Bm|A or maybe a Bm|A7 even though the 7 is on the piano and not the guit.

I don't hear any Bb in the run at all.

--Mac
Posted By: Wyndham Re: Help with Dire Straits! - 03/27/10 01:41 PM
For a style that I think works very well is "C_Jamest contempory country" at 100bpm or a bit less.
Wyndham
© PG Music Forums