PG Music Home
Posted By: Ryszard Best and worst antivirus programs - 11/11/10 02:08 PM
Found this compilation on, of all places, dodgeforums.com--as in Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. (I just bought a used Durango. Now I have a new community to play in. I'm on as Richard_L, in case anyone wants to look me up.)

Years ago I switched from AVG to avast, of which a recent upgrade was rather flaky. Now I've switched back. I don't like AVG any more than I did before. I found this list most informative. I may have to actually pay for a program, LOL.

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/computer-tec...08-31-10-a.html
Posted By: Axegrinder01 Re: Best and worst antivirus programs - 11/11/10 02:27 PM
Avast! didn't like my 64-bit version of Windows 7...too bad. I now use AVG on that machine.

However, I still have Avast! on my laptop [XP-3] and my other desktop [Vista Home Basic].

I think both are very good, free anti-virus programs. At least they are not resource hogs like Norton...
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Best and worst antivirus programs - 11/11/10 03:18 PM
i've used avast for years without a problem until win7/64. it will not perform a boot-time scan but it will do a normal scan. a plus is...it updates automatically several times a day.
Posted By: retake Re: Best and worst antivirus programs - 11/11/10 05:50 PM
Have you ever tried Microsoft Security Essentials? I have been using it for a while now and it seems to do okay and seems to have a small footprint.

Steve
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Best and worst antivirus programs - 11/11/10 07:21 PM
If you're looking for a freebie ,Microsoft Security Essentials, is very good (as retake says above). Norton has a bad rap nowadays, although it used to be true. Their last couple of versions are very good, about as good as it gets and I've tried a bunch of them.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Best and worst antivirus programs - 11/11/10 08:01 PM
I just removed Norton 360 from my Vista 64x machine. Seems like it was forever working in the background. Some of the tuneup tools such as Optimization had me all tied up, causing me to go to an earlier restore point. I've never had a problem with Avast and that is what I'm using now.

Don S.
Posted By: Shastastan Re: Best and worst antivirus programs - 11/12/10 12:00 AM
Call me crazy, but I'm using the paid version of AVG. I figure that I want a full featured internet security program. So far so good, it found a malware pgm right away on my wife's laptop and stopped it. I ran malwarebytes just to be sure that it was gone and it was. Nary a problem with AVG for us. YMMV.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Best and worst antivirus programs - 11/12/10 01:18 AM
Ubuntu, just try and get me LOL. The only files I'm putting on my Windows system re biab, video files and jpgs from my cameras, and midi files. I've yet to see those be corrupted.
Posted By: Shockwave199 Re: Best and worst antivirus programs - 11/12/10 03:26 AM
Quote:

Call me crazy, but I'm using the paid version of AVG. I figure that I want a full featured internet security program. So far so good, it found a malware pgm right away on my wife's laptop and stopped it. I ran malwarebytes just to be sure that it was gone and it was. Nary a problem with AVG for us. YMMV.

Me too. Malwarebytes is excellent too, although I use the free version of that. Between them, there hasn't been anything I can't wrangle in, if it sneaks by. I initially liked AVG because it wasn't intrusive at ALL. Norton and Macfee were notoriously intrusive and nagged the ever lovin crap outa me all the time. Macfee is a virus itself, I swear. AVG has remained in the background without being a nag and I appreciate that. It gets a little pushy about its broswer bar sometimes with updates, but for the most part it leaves you alone and does it's job. A great thing.

Dan
Posted By: silvertones Re: Best and worst antivirus programs - 11/12/10 01:47 PM
Quote:

Ubuntu, just try and get me LOL. The only files I'm putting on my Windows system re biab, video files and jpgs from my cameras, and midi files. I've yet to see those be corrupted.

I was going to say this but I figured I'd get jumped on but seeing as you said it first I'll just totally agree with you. I check myself at GRC Shields Up & I don't exist on the Internet and even having my Internet address they can't get in.
I do use a Firewall of course.
Posted By: MikeK Re: Best and worst antivirus programs - 11/12/10 05:55 PM
Quote:

Have you ever tried Microsoft Security Essentials? I have been using it for a while now and it seems to do okay and seems to have a small footprint.

Steve

Yup - been using MSE since I've upgraded to Win 7 64 Ultimate. Works great!

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Best and worst antivirus programs - 11/14/10 12:20 AM
I am very happy to be using Avast Internet Security. I don't have any problems, I have a two year license for three computers for like $60, plus I also have a two year license for my Windows Home Server box. Does everything I need, and keeps me clean.

Gary
Posted By: rharv Re: Best and worst antivirus programs - 11/14/10 08:30 AM
I'm running Avast also. Friday my system passed a PCI compliance test. It's a security test for networks and computers.
Five hours of my system and network being checked for vulnerabilities by securitymetrics.com

It's kinda scary to give them your direct IP and watch the modem light up as they try to hack your network..
Granted it takes more than installing Avast to pass this test; lots of other security practices in place here.
© PG Music Forums