PG Music Home
Posted By: BGPooh Bass Head Cooling Fan - 12/23/11 04:01 PM
It has been really very difficult to find a quiet "bass head".
Yes, silence is a property that means less than 35 dB.

However if the head is powerfull enough, the cooling
fan is running and the noise is about 60 dBs.

The bass head I am looking for should work with two 8ohm speakers.
The weight 7-15 lbs (=3-7 kg). Can anyone recommend a silent bass head.
There are 24 or more providers all over the world.

Merry Xmas

B
Posted By: silvertones Re: Bass Head Cooling Fan - 12/23/11 07:11 PM
Know what I use? My full range PA speakers, a power amp, and a laptop running IKMultimedia Ampeg SVX plugin in standalone mode with their Stealth interface.AT3 that you have will work as well. Just not as much Ampeg stuff.
Just saying.It turns heads.
Posted By: BGPooh Re: Bass Head Cooling Fan - 12/24/11 09:34 AM
Is this IK-Multimedia's amp plugin meant for recording/studio or for real gigs.

What is your basic configuration and setup for live performance?

However, basically laptops have cooling fan too for processor. Not so loud
as 60 dBs, but audible in 34-40 dBs.

B
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Bass Head Cooling Fan - 12/24/11 10:11 AM
What is your need for silence? Are you going to be using this in a recording environment with open microphones? If so, there are all kinds of solutions such as isolation by segregation or distance, a replacement low-noise fan in either the amp or the computer, or a virtual amp that John describes. As you probably know, there are standalone amp and speaker emulators available as footpedals or rackmount devices that have a 100-plus dB noise floor. None but the most discriminating ear can hear the difference, if any.

Please tell us more about your situation and needs so you we can advise you more fully. I guarantee that someone here has a solution.

Richard
Posted By: BGPooh Re: Bass Head Cooling Fan - 12/24/11 12:48 PM
a) I am playing in an acoustic environment, with fellows having classical education and acoustic instruments
They cannot tolerate 60 dB additional background noise.

b) When playing at home, 60 dB is too much in the evenings for neighbors and to me too

c) When using headphones 60 dB comes through easily to my ears

I have an old Hartke KickBack 10 combo (120 W). It has a possibility to switch between internal and external speaker.

When I switch to 8 ohm external speaker, as usual no noise at all. However I would like to use Hartke only, but it allows only one speaker to work with, 120 W power is a limit.

So parameter of silence is Hartke KickBack 10 connected to external 8ohm speaker. Resulting no noise at all. Or it cannot be heard.

What makes noise? It is a cooling fan solutions. And every 500/800/1000W bass head produces too much background noise.

B
Posted By: silvertones Re: Bass Head Cooling Fan - 12/24/11 01:38 PM
Most of the high efficiency bass heads don't have fans. Look at Carvin. My Peavey's didn't either.
© PG Music Forums