PG Music Home
http://www.objflicks.com/decadeofthe1940s.html
I was there too, Don. I was 6 when the war started. My mother had died and my dad worked nights in the factory. Consequently I and my brother and sister ate our supper in a local restaurant where the jukebox was constantly playing. Fond memories of the big bands, the Mills Brothers, the Ink Spots and many others.
My musical DNA seems to be a composite of that era as well as the church music of the time which most always was played in an uptempo lively style.

Don S. - The Other Don
Other Don, I'll be 71 this month. I remembered that you had a couple years on me. They say a fine wine improves with age. (Then it turns to vinegar!)
I kinda like vinegar,hence my screen name, Curmudgeon. I'm really a softie, but once you acquire a certain reputation, you do your best to live up to it.

Other Don
I was born in 1952, so grew up listening to music from the 50's and 60's.
I got interested in the big bands and swing around high school age.
Started going to the public library and checking out every record I could find from the 40's.
Even now when I listen to music from that time I get this nostalgic feeling for a time before I was born.

I've recently finished watching a documentary on Netflix called Jazz done by Ken Burns.
If you haven't seen it it's definitely worth checking out.

Tim
When I was at Fort Knox High School in the mid-70's, I played trumpet with a little group that worked closely with the Fort Knox performing arts center. I remember we did a musical review of 40's music, and at the age of 16-17, I remember how wonderful and uplifting it was.
I was listening to Tuxedo Junction loud when that boom went off, you owe me a new pair of Depends Don!
The VA provides mine FREE Tommy. LOL
Quote:

I beg to differ my friend . . . whatever a Vet receives is not only not free but in most cases not even close enough to cover the sacrifices made.

Salute!
Quote:

Quote:

I beg to differ my friend . . . whatever a Vet receives is not only not free but in most cases not even close enough to cover the sacrifices made.

Salute!

+1
You guys are making me cry. My new DynaVox speech synthesis device costs US$16,000 and my powered wheelchair costs $15,000. The Veterans' Administration is taking very good care of me. My VA doctor came personally to train me on the DynaVox and to setup my entire computer system. That was unheard of and unexpected care. They try to fill my every need.
Thanks for sharing this with us. It brought back some dim memories to me. I was only 5 when the war ended. My dad did not make it. I remember some things like rationing and victory gardens. I always loved the big band music. It actually made a short comeback when I was in jr. high. I remember playing Glen Miller stuff at our noon dances on Fridays. My wife and I are still playing many of these tunes today at retirement homes and care facilities. Great music never dies.

Stan
© PG Music Forums