PG Music Home
Posted By: Larry Kehl New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/01/13 12:03 AM
I see a lot of folks posting, and still on-line , is no one getting ready, dawning a tux, and hitting the bandstand to play tonight (or local pub, bar, dance hall, or senior center) ?

Happy New Years all (yes, I'm a little early but I have to hit the rack in a few hours so)!

Larry
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/01/13 12:04 AM
It's 11:00 am New Year's day here

This also happens to be my 4001 post. Somehow it seems fitting to make this post on New Year's Day! (Only another 30,000 to catch up to Mac.)
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/01/13 12:28 AM
Just noticed you're "down under" - oh well - I hope '13 is good for you
Posted By: Noel96 Re: New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/01/13 12:47 AM
Thanks! Hope it's a brilliant year for you too
Posted By: ROG Re: New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/01/13 12:53 AM
Hey, it's New Year in the UK now, so HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my friends on the forum.

We were offered a gig at lunchtime to replace a band which had gone sick at the the last minute, but sadly it was too short notice to put the band together.

So, we've watched the fireworks and drunk the champagne and it's time to catch some sleep.

Have a good 2013 everyone!

ROG.
Posted By: Mac Re: New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/01/13 01:06 AM
No New Year gig for me this year and I'm actually digging it.

"New Years is when all the amateur drunks mess up the roads and highways, real mess for the professional imbibers."

HAPPY NEW YEAR

from Home, where the heart is.

--Mac
Posted By: MikeK Re: New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/01/13 07:38 AM
Happy New Year all! I gigged - at home... BIAB backing and me singing and playing lead. had about 20 people over and they had a blast ...

The dogs didn't like my performances though.... LOL
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/01/13 03:08 PM
I played a church service. No drunks, no traffic, no "I Just Called To Say I Love You." Home by 11:00.
Posted By: Mike sings Re: New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/01/13 03:23 PM
I had an early bar gig. Started 15:00 and finished 19:30. Lucky for me it was close to home, so I had my gear in the garage by 21:00. So I enjoyed a great evening with my wife and the neighbours. Lot of food and drinks, woke up our son before the midnight fireworks. The dog had a huge bone, so he was relatively calm with all the noise around. Great evening and night.

So, yes. I did have a gig on New Years Eve, but this year I was able to get home in time to celebrate with my family and friends. Next year I will try to do the same thing: Book an early gig close to home!
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/01/13 07:26 PM
I agree with Mac, I've missed now the last 3 New Years. It felt good I didn't have to play whatever that stupid song is oh yeah Auld Lang whatever .... (just kidding but I really hate that thing)

The other thing is from what I've heard from other players, the money isn't the same either. The last New Years gig I got $500 and that's about the minimum but apparently lately that's not the case. I'm not going out for much less than that, maybe 4 bills if it's close for a friend but that's it.

Bob
Posted By: Danny C. Re: New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/01/13 08:57 PM
I had a early gig, the 85th (I think) of the year.

As Frank used to sing "it was a very good year".

Thank you BIAB, and to Mac also as many moons ago he told me that this was just the software I was looking for!

Happy New Year All!
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/02/13 03:07 PM
Had a great New Years Eve gig and another New Years Day gig - and I'm booked at both for next year.

Ever since I was in high school (a long time ago) there have only been two new years eve's that I didn't have a gig. One was when I was between bands and another was because s (#@!((*%*!% booking agent screwed up.

Insights and incites by Notes

First night extravaganza downtown Akron Ohio.
3 45 minute sets made up primarily of stuff from my first two solo CD's.
I watched portions of the shows by Magician Jason Allen and my buddy Alex Bevan.
Got home by 1145.
Drank a bottle of IPA and watched the 15 minutes of idiots leading up to the ball drop.
WSS
Posted By: freeman Re: New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/03/13 04:37 AM
Did my first New Years gig in 23 years (Many, many thanks to PG music)...
Never left our park, traveled a whole quarter mile to get there, set up in the afternoon.
Started at 9:30PM finished at 12:30, picked all the gear up the next day....what's not to love...and got paid well too...it was a good night.

Happy New Year to all

Rusty
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: New Years Eve - is no one gigging? - 01/03/13 04:53 AM
It's been a long time since is seen Alex Bevan.....
© PG Music Forums