PG Music Home
Posted By: clav voice recorders - 03/10/13 12:58 AM
I'm looking to purchase a voice recorder to take to fiddle camps. Have just started researching.

A think a USB capability would be a useful feature. One model I'm looking at mentions an SD card; don't know what's used if there is no SD card; what the alternative would be. I believe the sd card would increase recording time.

I'm looking at 2 Sonys, both for $159, don't know if I should mention models. They are ICDTX50 with 4gb. The other is ICDXX712.

I wonder if a USB port is not mentioned, does that mean it doesn't have it?

I'm really new to this computer/electronics world but am learning fast.

Thanks for any help. Don't know if any of this makes sense.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: voice recorders - 03/10/13 01:08 AM
I have two that I really like!

This one is for lo-fi rough captures of melody and lyric ideas. I carry it everywhere so I never miss an idea. It only costs $30 at Amazon. It has a built-in USB arm to make connecting it easy. Only thing I don't like is the files have to be converted to use on your computer. Not difficult but an extra step.

RCA VR5320R 1GB Digital Voice Recorder
http://www.amazon.com/RCA-VR5320R-Digita...igital+recorder

For high quality recordings I suggest a stereo field recorder. I bought the Zoom H4n and I just LOVE it! The quality is so high that I use it for all of my recordings and then bring them into my DAW on my computer! It has stereo recording plus multi-track mode so I can layer additional tracks as I listen to previously recorded ones. Way too many features to list here!! But it is a little higher than the number you mentioned at about $270.

Zoom H4n Handy Portable Digital Recorder
http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-Handy-Portabl...ywords=zoom+h4n

Both Zoom and Tascam make some nice ones in the $100-$200 range so you could check those as well.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: voice recorders - 03/10/13 01:30 AM
I have a SONY PCM-M10 which is old but excellent and is still sold at $200.

If what you buy doesn't have USB then the only way to load or unload files would be a SD card, like you would a camera. I like the USB connections, though, so I can treat my recorder like another disk drive and just drag files around.

Recorders with an SD card usually have some built-in memory, but the SD card can expand that. It isn't always seamless, though. On mine, it is a different area in the menu system. Plus, you need to select the SD card first before starting a long recording (such as when recording a rehearsal) that might overflow the remaining built-in memory.
Posted By: Luiz Dias Re: voice recorders - 03/10/13 01:34 AM
I have the Zoom H1. Cheaper than the Zoom H4n. Only 1 stereo track. I like it.
I have the Boss microBR too. Veery good, but a bit complicate to field use.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: voice recorders - 03/10/13 06:50 AM
I have two of the Olympus models like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12755115

It has a bayonet style slide out USB port (male) and it records 15 hours on 1 AAA battery. It records in .wma (default) and .mp3. In hindsight, I should have purchased the next model up which has a Lithium Ion battery and recharges from your computer USB port. Record quality is excellent and the mics are horizontally opposed for improved stereo spread.
Posted By: clav Re: voice recorders - 03/18/13 11:57 PM
Matt,

Do you find that a USB cable is more convenient to use as compared to direct connect? Or maybe you've not had experience in both.

Does this recorder, the Sony pcm-m10 use file folders in it's system for organization?

I assume it has a speaker, can listen w/out headphones?

I'm purchasing a recorder to take to fiddle camps, record lectures and play-in sessions,also record my own playing.

would you say this is a good over-all recorder?

thanks,

clav
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: voice recorders - 03/19/13 12:28 AM
I think of USB as being the same as "direct connect".

Yes, you can set up folders.

Yes, the SONY has built-in speaker for playback, and of course a headphone jack, and also a line-out jack. It's more expensive than some alternatives but it's been a great unit for me for several years.
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: voice recorders - 03/19/13 01:09 AM

I like and use this unit. You should be able to find a street price around 80US.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/D...CFQlyQgodwUMAlQ

I use this unit even more. The reason I use it so much is that it is always in my pocket. I use it for listening to audio-books whenever I am in the car. It makes acceptable recordings for learning songs and has a USB connection.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/D...CFQlyQgodwUMAlQ
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: voice recorders - 03/19/13 01:53 AM
Most phones have a serviceable voice recorder function. If you have an iPhone, then there is a proper audio interface with stereo mics or line in function from BLUE - Mikey DIgital. $99.
Posted By: clav Re: voice recorders - 04/22/13 02:33 AM
I'd like to thank everyone for their opinions on voice recorders.

I did purchase the Sony PCM-M10, especially recommended by Matt Finley. I'm very happy with it. Its easy to use and will be very helpful in many ways.

This forum is a great place for ideas and information.

Clav
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: voice recorders - 04/22/13 02:40 AM
Glad you like it.
© PG Music Forums