PG Music Home
Posted By: Riccled The Beatles in America 50th aniv - 01/27/14 12:07 AM
Hi all.
Noticed in today's Daily Telegraph that its 50 years since that famous Beatles appearance on the Ed Sullivan show, little did they know what was about to hit them!
No wonder they are still regarded as the best pop group in history,no-one before or since has come close to their matchless imagination and versatility in creating such long lasting work.
My favourite Beatles song?
Not easy to choose,but I reckon in terms of elegance and emotion 'The Long and Winding Road' and in terms of all encompassing brilliance 'A day in the life'

Be interesting to read which songs others like best.
Cya.
Posted By: Sundance Re: The Beatles in America 50th aniv - 01/27/14 02:37 AM
Wow, picking a fav is too tough!

This past year my favs have been "All I Gotta Do" followed by the rooftop concert version of "Don't Let Me Down".

That's subject to change because I really love most - not all - but most of their songs.

Josie
Posted By: pghboemike Re: The Beatles in America 50th aniv - 01/27/14 02:56 AM
Golden Slumbers\Carry That Weight\The End Abbey Road
Posted By: Le Miz Re: The Beatles in America 50th aniv - 01/27/14 06:52 AM
Maybe these 3, currently.

1. "You're Gonna Lose That Girl" (from "Help")

2. "No Reply" (from "Beatles For Sale")

3. "For No One" (from "Revolver")

At the Grammy's tonight, a two hour Beatles special, starring Paul and Ringo was announced. CBS will show it on the 50th anniversary, at the same telecast time, of the initial Ed Sullivan appearance.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Beatles in America 50th aniv - 01/27/14 02:27 PM
It is impossible for me to pick a favorite Beatles song.

Like Josie I like most of them but the ones I like the most are the ones that can be played in jazz styles.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: The Beatles in America 50th aniv - 01/27/14 07:15 PM
"Fool On The Hill" comes to mind, specifically for its beautifully orchestrated timing changes. (Unfortunately, BiaB doesn't handle the 3/4 start very well because of its 4 bar count-in.)

Sergio Mendez and Brazil 66 did an amazing cover version.

Another has to be Eleanor Rigby. Rather unique at the time both because of the interesting lyrics for a rock band, and George Martin's dominant String Quartet which maintains a somewhat haunting appeal.

Of course, the list could go on forever...
Posted By: jphillips Re: The Beatles in America 50th aniv - 01/27/14 07:43 PM
I'm kind of with Josie on this: there is something great in almost all of their stuff.

Current favorites, though:

"There's a Place"

"You're Going to Lose That Girl"

"A Day in the Life"

John
Posted By: sixchannel Re: The Beatles in America 50th aniv - 01/27/14 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: pghboemike
Golden Slumbers\Carry That Weight\The End Abbey Road

You got it!! What an album and what a Finale! That drum break between Carry That Weight and The End is inspired.
I once saw Paul and his band do this "live" and the drummer was sensational at this point.
Ian
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Beatles in America 50th aniv - 01/27/14 08:17 PM
VideoTrack you have a PM.
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: The Beatles in America 50th aniv - 01/28/14 02:56 AM
In My Life and Goodnight are my favourites.
Posted By: rharv Re: The Beatles in America 50th aniv - 01/28/14 03:10 AM
A Day in the Life was quite an accomplishment in it's day.

My favorite Beatles song changes pretty regularly though. Plenty to choose from.
© PG Music Forums