PG Music Home
Posted By: JEP One for Macca (if you don't mind) - 02/01/09 01:38 AM
Even as a young dog I was a little puzzled by We Can Work it Out by The Beatles. You know: See things my way - it will probably work out. See things your way - uh-oh... So forget about your view, 'cos life is very short, and please no fussing and fighting, my friend.

During Paul McCartney's rather turbulent recent divorce, I came to think about that old song. So I tried to write a comment, which took its own direction, I guess. Here's We Can't Work it Out.

This song...
* is slighly bossa,
* got strings and acoustic guitar though the Ketron SD2,
* got Forte dxi piano, trumpet and bass
* sports RealDrums, no RealTracks.
* is sans backwards guitar
* is right here

Any comments are welcome.

- Jepster
Posted By: Noel96 Re: One for Macca (if you don't mind) - 02/01/09 06:42 AM
Nice one Jep!
Posted By: Ryszard Re: One for Macca (if you don't mind) - 02/01/09 08:41 AM
Jepper,

Cool tune! (Though I expected something done by an entity called "The Killer Slugs" would be a little edgier, but that's just me.)

Does anyone besides me hear echoes of The Byrds' cover of "Mr. Tambourine Man" here?

Ryś

P.S.: I listened to some more of your stuff and find it quite appealing. It would fit right in with what I've been listening to on Soma FM's Indie channel lately. Or maybe you're already there and I just haven't heard you yet.

R.
Posted By: MarioD Re: One for Macca (if you don't mind) - 02/01/09 03:14 PM
Jepster, super job on this one.

Great vox, harmonies and a super arrangement
Posted By: Danny C. Re: One for Macca (if you don't mind) - 02/01/09 05:22 PM
Quote:

Does anyone besides me hear echoes of The Byrds' cover of "Mr. Tambourine Man" here?
R.

To Ry: I agree and I also here some George Benson's Masquerade (on the intro in particular) and even a bit of a Santana chord progression or two. But keep in mind when you get up in age a bit like I am you tend hear something from a past tune in almost everything listened to for the first time. In fact that is the first thought that enters my mind when this happens . . . now where did I hear that before? Then I start singing the melody to the reference tune in my head just to see how long the progressions persist. I hate that!

Anyway Jep,

Nice job here, in particular I like the job on the harmonies.

Later,
Posted By: Ryszard Re: One for Macca (if you don't mind) - 02/01/09 05:47 PM
Quote:

Then I start singing the melody to the reference tune in my head just to see how long the progressions persist.

But ain't it amazing when it works?
Posted By: MikeK Re: One for Macca (if you don't mind) - 02/01/09 06:43 PM
Great tune, Jep ... love the arrangement you used... lyrics are killer!!!

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: JEP Re: One for Macca (if you don't mind) - 02/01/09 09:49 PM
Thanks Noel, Ryś, Mario D, Danny C, and Mike for listening and for the kind words!

Ryś, I agree. This song is not exactly mainstream Slugs material. Rather, it showcases Jepster's softer side, the one he dares to show off only when the slimey gang is getting drunk in the local dive...

I never thought of We Can't Work it Out as inspired by Mr Tambourine Man, but I see that your comparison is not that far-fatched. I've had the pleasure of singing the latter song live several times in the past, so it's under my skin. Playing 12-string and lending voice to those light three part harmonies, well, it is almost as good as it gets. So maybe a shadow of a shadow of the real thing. Thanks also for pointing me to Soma FM.

Mike: Glad you liked the lyrics. That's where I have to put most of the work. Otherwise, I feel that PGmusic gave me a lot of help on this one.

- Jepster
© PG Music Forums