PG Music Home
Hi folks,

I am currently using Logitech desktop speakers for mixing but just seen a used pair of Behringer Truth B2030A monitors today for £100. They look in excellent condition but I have no knowledge of studio monitors whatsoever.

Just wondering has anyone used the above and is there a significant different when mixing down compared to say Logitech computer speakers?

Many thanks
Musiclover
Originally Posted By: musiclover
I have no knowledge of studio monitors whatsoever.Many thanks

IMO....

There is much subjectivity regarding monitor choice.
I did some research after reading your post and most reviews are favorable although they are touted as 'heavy' muthers....not a big issue.
(Only a couple complained of quality issues and did the warranty returns.)

300$ new and 6.75" woofers...pretty good price point for that size woofer.
I did a listen test at GC which included them but I preferred the KRK Rockit 8's.
They translated perfectly when I played my own CD...no complaints here.

What's more important (over time) is your ears, knowing your monitors and your room environment.

I'd guess they do their job as well as any others and believe many here would endorse them.
My concern would be going used.
I go new on gear this important, take the $$ hit but I know exactly what I have along with the warranty attached.

If you're confident of the care they've had then maybe they're a good choice for you.
But...personally, I would not buy an item of this nature sight unseen.
I'd have to see and hear them in action.

I will wish you well on your path to a prudent decision.
I'm sure others will offer some guidance.

Carry on....

I purchased a used pair of Behringer Truth B2031A monitors maybe a year ago and have been pleased with the sound and durability. I also use a pair of Samson Resolv a6's and the Behringer compares favorably to them.
Thanks guys for replies. Well the shop sold them to me and let me try them at home for 24 hours as I asked them if they would do this to make sure I liked then and they said ok.

So I will keep them as they seem fine.

I am going to hook them up from the RCA outputs on fast track pro to the TRS inputs on monitors, that's a RCA to 1/4 inch stereo I believe this will not be a balanced cable but if it works will do me.

Just another little thing, there are setting on back of monitors to change the frequencies to compensate for the room, and I probably do need to change some of them.

Should I just load in a commercial mp3 into my DAW Cubase and then adjust accordingly, or is there a better way to go about it?

Many thanks for any advice.
Musiclover
Music lover,

I've had a pair of the B2031A since 2007 and love them. They do have a hard cutoff at 50 Hz on the low end, so be aware of this. (I got a sub to deal with truly low bass.) If yours didn't come with the manual you can download the PDF from the website. I've run mine unbalanced and haven't had any issues.

HTH,

Richard
Yup... good price for them used. At that price I would buy them just to use for music playback on my normal work computer. They will sound so much better than the crummy computer speakers.....

And so....yes. There will be a world of difference between the sound of the "truths" and the Logitec computer speakers. Like day and night difference I'll wager.

Do let us know your impressions.
Thanks Herb and Richard for the replies.

As regards the frequency settings that I can change on back panel, should I just load a commercial mp3 and adjust accordingly from there?

Funny enough the Logitech weren't that bad I think, just hope that I am able to set these up ok to take advantage of the better quality.

Thanks yet again, all the advice is very much appreciated.

Musiclover
Download the PDF for best results. You'll be glad you did.

Positioning is also of the essence. These speaks have a reasonably large, but well-defined 'sweet spot.' Be sure to get them as close to ear level as you can. Monitor stands may be in order. (I got a pair of 40" stands for my 2031s, which put my ears about midway between the woofer and tweeter.) Only problem is that my room is too small to really hear the bass properly while at the console. I actually have to stand up and move back about two steps for the bottom to develop.
If you want to really get a grasp on monitors.... get Mike Senior's Book...Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio.

The first several chapters go in depth on monitors...what is true and what is not, concerning lots of things you probably never knew, let alone thought about, when it comes to those magical boxes we all hold dear and use every day basing our mixes on what they do for us.
© PG Music Forums