PG Music Home
Posted By: DennisD Archiving CDs - 11/13/14 06:59 PM
I am looking for a free music library sofware that will let me edit, sort, my current file of recorded music from CDs, LPs and Home tapes. Also would prefer software that would default information such as title, artist, album, etc when entering new data. I am downsizing my space and I have hundreds of CD's and LPs that I would like copy some of the songs off, then I will give the cds/lps away. My partner used ITunes but I am not fussy about it, comments. Thanks DennisD
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Archiving CDs - 11/13/14 07:07 PM
Dennis, take a look at Media Monkey. It does everything you mentioned and more. I've been using the free version for about 10 years. It allows tag editing on the fly and many other collection features.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/download/

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Archiving CDs - 11/13/14 08:38 PM
I don't know of a program for this. If I wanted to do it, I would just create a database. However, I would think the perfect program would allow you to scan the CD bar code and it would search the Allmusic online data to enter the data for you.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Archiving CDs - 11/13/14 10:15 PM
Windows Media Player?
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Archiving CDs - 11/16/14 02:39 PM
I am a big fan of media monkey. It is the only software I know of that will let me rename and re-categorize a song while it is playing. Lots of other useful features.
Posted By: DennisD Re: Archiving CDs - 11/21/14 06:14 PM
Sorry for the tardy reply but just got back on line. Thanks for the replies. I'll give Media Monkey a try. DennisD
Posted By: trapper456 Re: Archiving CDs - 11/29/14 04:37 AM
What I use is "Nero Wav Editor" It does a great job. All you have to do is hook in your sound source to your sound card, with windows 8 you have to set your sound source up to line in, your sound card will capture it. You can then save the files to your computer. And as a suggestion if you are going to give away all the CD's and Albums give them to a local college radio station, there are some DJ's that love to play vintage music. I was one for 5 years and I loved all the older music, and on occasion I would play it just to take people back to that time where they loved the kind of music that they had listened to in their youth.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Archiving CDs - 11/29/14 11:02 AM
After you have your wavs you may want to put them in RB or any 32 bit DAW of your choice and process them with the PG Vinyl Tool. This is one of the best pop and scratch removers that I have found.
Posted By: furry Re: Archiving CDs - 11/29/14 05:10 PM
Cool edit ( adobe audition ) also have fantastic plugins for removing crackling, pops & tape his.
I might just give the latest sound forge a try as well. Havn't tried the pg vinyl tool Mario. I do have quite a lot of LPs
Posted By: GHinCH Re: Archiving CDs - 11/29/14 05:50 PM
I use ClickRepair, a program that does nothing but declick and decrackle. The main reason for this program is that I can run it in batch mode. Batch processing is especially useful after I transfered many vinyl records (mostly they are still 45s but there are also a lot of LPs) and prepare them for the necessary manipulation to obtain a rather clean digital version.

I have developed a standard procedure to treat the recordings from vinyl using Adobe Audition for work that I cannot really put in a standard procedure. Also, Audition is sometimes slow in batch processing when I have more than 7 files to treat.

If the standard procedure is not satisfying in occasional cases, I give that track a manual treatment for all steps.

Maybe one day I will invest a lot of money and rent or even buy Capstan to remove wow and flutter.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Archiving CDs - 11/29/14 06:07 PM
Originally Posted By: furry
Havn't tried the pg vinyl tool Mario. I do have quite a lot of LPs

Graham, I have 802 LPs so I just use a turntable!

I have copied a couple of albums to CDs but it just is too time consuming, thus the turntable.
Posted By: GHinCH Re: Archiving CDs - 11/29/14 06:48 PM
Whenever you spin a record, record it on your computer at the same time -- given that the computer has a connection to your stereo system.

Then you already have a digital copy without using any additional time. You may process this copy later for CD burning. And maybe eventually you will, at some point in time, be using a NAS playing your music from a hard drive or an SSD.
Posted By: DennisD Re: Archiving CDs - 11/30/14 06:05 PM
Thanks again for the additional comments. That is what I love about this forum, even "lurkers" like me get the same benefits as the more active participants. I have been trying Media Monkey as suggested and find I really like the program. Even though I may not use the additional functions I am considering buying the Gold edition for my desktop DAW and probably run the free one on my portable. I also use PG vinyl as a conditioner because I have another program called "Spin It Again" which I use to copy LPs, 45s, R2R, cassettes, etc., to digital. I really like the program but it is slow as you have to play the album or parts of the album at regular speed before you can process.The program is quite good at defaulting where the songs start and end but you can edit that as well. The toughest to convert is live recordings and classical music. ClickRepair, I will take a look. We have a "donation" protocol in our house for everything. Usually clothes go to Big Brothers, furniture to Women In Need, books to old folks homes and hospices, and my music stuff: scores go to local music schools, CDs (etc) do go to college music libraries, or hospices, or friends, whatever is left I just give to the local used book/record emporiums. Gosh I'm wordy! Thanks again for replies. DennisD
or
© PG Music Forums