PG Music Home
Posted By: Andy A - USA Drum tempo - A little help, please - 08/04/16 06:37 PM
I'm sure you guys will split a side laughing, but I can't figure out how to set a drum tempo. Example. I have an existing song, I've chosen RealDrums=NashvilleBrushesCountryPopEv16. (In the demo mode, sounds great. If I open a "New" song template, set the same 165 tempo I'm using in the existing song, sounds great.)

But when I chose it for my song, which is set at 165, just like in the "New" song, it's probably going double time. It's Keith Moon on steroids.

Where is the tempo setting I'm missing?

Thanks.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Drum tempo - A little help, please - 08/04/16 06:39 PM
Upper right area of screen. Tempo.

Or, "Command - K" That will access those controls.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=310050

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Andy A - USA Re: Drum tempo - A little help, please - 08/04/16 06:45 PM
Thank you, Bub, but upper right of what screen? I don't see anything that say tempos in the upper right quadrant. I know where the standard Tempo cell is, next to the Key cell, and all my instruments are playing fine, at 165.

Can you tell me what it is next to?
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Drum tempo - A little help, please - 08/04/16 06:53 PM
165 is pretty fast in most styles. Is that your desired tempo? I can't access my music computer right now - thunder storm.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: Andy A - USA Re: Drum tempo - A little help, please - 08/04/16 06:59 PM
Yeah, 165 is right for the song. Song sounds great, I've just learned somethings about BB and mixing since I recorded it a few months ago so I'm redoing a bit. And my vocs sound like a frog back then. I've improved the mic placement and boxy sound in the room.

All the other instruments are labeled 165.

Good luck in the storm. Stay away from tall trees and kites with keys.
Posted By: GHinCH Re: Drum tempo - A little help, please - 08/04/16 07:38 PM
Originally Posted By: PacoAlpha
... But when I chose it for my song, which is set at 165, just like in the "New" song, it's probably going double time. It's Keith Moon on steroids. ...

It sounds o.k. here. Admittedly, it is a little fast, but on the other hand the highest recommended tempo for this RealDrums track is 170.

How do drums sound that have been recorded for being played at somewhere between 100 bpm and 250 bpm, maybe NashvilleSkip or NashvilleOutlaw?

Now I'm going back to the livestream of the Wacken Open Air Festival.
Posted By: Andy A - USA Re: Drum tempo - A little help, please - 08/05/16 12:00 AM
Thanks guys....I wonder if my RD file is corrupt....

I'm going to plug it all into a fresh template. (If anything in a fresh template, NashvilleBrushesCountryPopEv16 at 165 almost sounds too slow, and I'm a folk guy, I rarely write anything with a pulse. It's hard to have your dog die or get a heart stomped on a ferris wheel above 120 for me.)

GH, I tried shakers, but I didn't try other RDs styles. I'm so new I don't know how to get all the hi-hats and tom-toms and turn-arounds out most drum kits. I'm hoping to figure out how to only get a simple snare or even brushes in even 8ths. I'm stuck with shakers most of the time.

Good luck with the Wacken Fest. I'll have to Google that.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Drum tempo - A little help, please - 08/05/16 09:29 AM
Just curious... have you watched and worked through the tutorial instructional videos on using BB?

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

These start at the very beginning and teach from the point of view assuming you know nothing about BB.

Posted By: Me Re: Drum tempo - A little help, please - 08/05/16 10:10 AM
If you know the Real Drum file #, you can try adding it in the drum track. When you open the Real Drum Track, make sure the double time check box is NOT marked in the list there.

Trax
Posted By: CocoTex Re: Drum tempo - A little help, please - 08/06/16 02:09 PM
Thanks, guys.

Yes, I have watched many of the videos. Some were very helpful at each of my levels, and some jump way beyond me, of course.

Believe me, I searched everywhere I could think of for the tempo answer before posting here. The double-time option was not selected for any instruments.

When I started over from a fresh "New" song, same style, same instruments, same drum, chords, etc., the drum tempo is fine. Sounds exactly the way I want!

Thanks again for the help.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Drum tempo - A little help, please - 08/07/16 10:15 AM
Originally Posted By: CocoTex
Thanks, guys.

Yes, I have watched many of the videos. Some were very helpful at each of my levels, and some jump way beyond me, of course.

Believe me, I searched everywhere I could think of for the tempo answer before posting here. The double-time option was not selected for any instruments.

When I started over from a fresh "New" song, same style, same instruments, same drum, chords, etc., the drum tempo is fine. Sounds exactly the way I want!

Thanks again for the help.

Some times, things get glitched up in the settings and the only way to fix it is to start a new song project. I've had this happen a time or two. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often.
Posted By: Andy A - USA Re: Drum tempo - A little help, please - 08/13/16 06:38 PM
Thank you, Herb.

Also, if I ever need to change the drum tempo again, I found a work around that was kind of a "duh" moment...

Assuming the drums would sound true at a lower pace, cut the song tempo in half, save the RealDrums track as a wav, then import it back in as an Audio track at the original tempo.

This is so much fun. I have to force myself to stop occasionally to actually play my instruments before I forget how. I've set a daily practice time to force myself.
© PG Music Forums