PG Music Home
Posted By: Rachael Recommendations for PA - 06/16/09 01:32 PM
I'm looking for PA recommendations that fit the following:

- Sing and play keyboard through

- Handle the full dynamic range of my BIAB rhythm section (RealBass, RealDrums, RealBossa Guitar). It is important that the audience feel the bass. No I don't want to add a subwoofer.

- Handle an occasional Tenor Sax side man (yes a live one)

- Reasonably light (45 lbs is not light for me)

Most gigs are small to medium venues. More indoor than outdoor. And a few people actually listen to the music.

The guy at Guitar Center recommended the new JBL Eon515's. 32 lbs but $800 each (ouch!). They also had JBL Eon315 at $500 each but he said would not be enough power.

Thanks for any advice,
Rachael
Posted By: Mac Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/16/09 02:28 PM
Hi Rachael,

This sounds good and meets or exceeds what you want to do.

Heard one of these filling a 200 seat room the other day, good sound, easy to use, light in weight.

--Mac
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/16/09 03:01 PM
Yeah, this is always a tough call. You didn't mention your budget but your "ouch" sort of says it. In reality, the guy was right. The Eon's are probably the best along with the Mackies. I've used JBL's for years because they sound the best, that simple. I just did gig at a club where they had 8 Mackie 15's and those sounded pretty good too. Unfortunately, those are the same price as the JBL's.
We went on a 3 day cruise to Mexico a few years ago on the Monarch of the Seas and there had to be at least 100 JBL Eon 15's on that ship. The ship has 4 or 5 big night clubs seating like 3 or 4 hundred people each, the band at the pool (8 Eons there), several lounges and I can't remember what else. In the main showroom that was 3 levels, I counted 22 Eon's both on stage, and hanging from the ceiling, the sides and the rear. There was a party band in the central reception area to welcome everybody on board and they were going through 2. Both the quality of the entertainment and the sound was first rate. They are probably the "go to" pro system for sure. I have a friend who is a wedding DJ. He uses 4 Eon 15's and 2 Yamaha 12's. All are the powered models.
Going down a notch but still pretty good is the Yamaha Stagepas. I think it comes either with the 8" woofers or 12". Get the 12's. I've always felt that Yamaha was the best price/sound compromise if you can't go JBL. Another possibility is the new Bose L1, heard good things about it but I don't know how much bass it puts out.

Bob
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/16/09 03:06 PM
Just saw your post, Mac. Did you notice if they were using just one L1 or 2 and were they pushing any bass through it or just vocals? I was checking out some youtube demo's of it the other day but every one of the bands were using more than one system. At a grand each, that can get expensive in a hurry.

Bob
Posted By: Mac Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/16/09 03:37 PM
This fellow was using only the one system with his (sigh) auto-accompaniment keyboard.

The Bose Compact also had two mics hooked up, one for a young lady and her saxophone who played a few songs with him. I noticed that his mic was first attached to the keyboard's mic input, such that the keyboard line output to the Bose had both the backup keyboard sounds AND his singing mic on one line.

As much as I don't like Bose for the psychoacoustic tricks, that sewer pipe being there just to add resonance, I have to say that the sound in that room worked well for the purpose. The bass was good, though the act was not playing pressure-cooker songs, but light jazz and pop stuff. What really shone through was the ease of setup and use, along with the crowd satisfaction, the music was very listenable yet not super-intrusive, either. Matter of fact, I complimented the young fellow on his sound (lack of playing abilities not being mentioned... grin).

I think the Bose Compact may just represent a good thing for those who do not want to become tech-heads nor have to deal with a lot of hookup wiring, modular systems, technical issues and weight.

If I had the money, I'd likely pick one up for the short hit and runs myself. Would certainy payoff for the retirement home gigs. Thought I'd NEVER say that about the Bose system, but all my PA gear and weight are starting to get to be a little bit much for what the gigs pay, knowmean?

--Mac
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/16/09 04:06 PM
Quote:

...but all my PA gear and weight are starting to get to be a little bit much for what the gigs pay, knowmean?

--Mac

Oh, yeah I know alright. Thanks for the review.

Bob
Posted By: John Conley Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/16/09 04:49 PM
Wow, that low end afterlife place just froze over. Mac + Bose + Birthday Cake = love!

As I fumbled for my glasses to read a purchase the woman at the counter said that to me.."you ate too much birthday cake too eh?" Took a minute to sink in.
Posted By: Mac Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/16/09 05:40 PM
Check the link and the picture of the guy walkin' into the gig with the entire PA all at once, John.

All designs of man consist of tradeoffs.

The Bose system does not sound flat and correct to my ears, and again, I would NOT try to use anything made by Bose for critical listening, mixing or mastering. A loser's recipe, as the Bose systems are all about masking what you hear. But the portability is another factor. And as I found out the other day, the sound is usable and not bad in the right sized environment. It certainly truned in a better sounding job than two 12" woofers with horn or piezo on stands...

My designs of late for my own life have a lot more to do with takin' care o' Mac, turns out he's not as indestructible as the testosterone-poisoning led him to believe... (grin)

Just the other day a guy said, "Know what, you could bring your B3... "

Right.

--Mac
Posted By: Rachael Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/16/09 05:46 PM
Thanks all,

The new L1 compact does look interesting. I'm concerned about the Bass. Right now, I put BIAB and my keyboard playing through a Roland KC350. The sound is OK but not great. It looks like the L1 has 8" woofer but it's difficult to find any specs about the range and SPL. Has anyone seen these? I know, they don't always mean a lot but at least I can use them for comparison.

Mac, when you heard the L1, what was going through it?

R
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/16/09 07:43 PM
"No highs, no lows, it's a Bose!"

-The Unknown Soundman

Bob
Posted By: Mac Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/17/09 12:32 AM
Quote:

Thanks all,

The new L1 compact does look interesting. I'm concerned about the Bass. Right now, I put BIAB and my keyboard playing through a Roland KC350. The sound is OK but not great. It looks like the L1 has 8" woofer but it's difficult to find any specs about the range and SPL. Has anyone seen these? I know, they don't always mean a lot but at least I can use them for comparison.

Mac, when you heard the L1, what was going through it?

R

Full range from Yamaha Tyros II. -- And the young fellow brought everything in and out in one trip on a folding dolly. Keyboard, stand, Bose Compact and mics. Way cool. The bass was there. These systems are full, but do not intrude. That alone is worth considering IMO. Easy operation, too. Hard to make 'em sound bad, really.

Bose L1 -- OUTDOORS

In the case of the Bose systems only, the diameter of the woofer doesn't translate to the same as it does with other speaker systems. The Bose patented resonance system works for you here. That's what the "sewer pipe" does, it acts as a resonator. A physical mechanical principle that is as old or older than the pipe organs of European cathedrals.

BTW one of the other beauties of the design is that it obviates the need for separate monitor speakers. Makes me wonder why they don't feed back, but they don't. The sound seems to come from, well, everythere.

I thought it worked rather well, too. Had no complaints about the various Bass sounds coming from his autoaccompaniment Tyros keyboard at all. The sound was rich and full, certainly "good enough for jazz" as we sometimes say. As I said earlier, I was impressed enough by the sound to think seriously about obtaining one myself, for much the same type of use, BIAB and my keyboard.

Dealers that carry the Bose systems should be able to let you set up and demo the thing for yourself. Always a good idea.

Here's a Youtube of how quick it sets up at a gig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3acf7ljTno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcLOesyWKxM&feature=related

The thing even turns in an impressive sonic performance to a video camera at a wedding...

--Mac
Posted By: edbulmer Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/17/09 01:56 AM
I heard someone use this tower put out by Bose. It was a tube about 6 feet high and only 6 inches around. It was amazing.
Posted By: tomshannon2 Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/17/09 04:51 AM
I own 3 of the original L1 Model 1’s for the past 4 ½ years and I love ‘em.

I have played guitar for the past 43 years but only around the house or around a family campfire but 6 years ago, I found myself in my first band at age 47: our lil’ ol’ church band. The PA system was typical for a church: inexperienced sound man/volunteer, 24 channel Mackie board, wedge monitors on stage, JBL speakers left and right and above the stage. We had 6-10 musicians/singers on stage and everyone wanted “more me” in the monitors until the stage volume was untenable. I was appalled at the sound on stage and you never knew what you sounded like to the audience. After a performance, you would jump off stage and put your arm around someone and ask, “So…how’d we sound?”

I started searching for some solution and I was about to purchase an in-ear monitor system when I first heard about these Bose systems. I went to their website and the user forum (a very friendly, helpful and knowledge group of folks just like BIAB forum) just about every day for 6 months. The musicians on the forum (everyone from Steve Miller and Rick Turner and everyday working musicians raved about these systems.

After I sold off one of my business’ I bought 3 L1’s…and never have regretted it. The sound dispersion is approximately 170 degrees. Each of these 7 ft high L1’s have 24 little speakers in a line array. The sound is very even throughout the room. As a matter of fact, the sound on stage is just slightly louder than it is in the back of the room. You do not have to play at loud volumes to be heard…and one of the best aspects is that you, the musician, get to enjoy the same performance as the audience because Bose system is behind you. No wedge monitors, oh and guess what…no sound man needed. You mix your own sound right on stage with the remote controls.

If I sound like a Bose pitchman (I am not connected to Bose in any way), it’s only because I enjoy them so much compared to the typical 3 way system (mixing board, monitors, PA systems). Setting up 3 Bose L1 systems for a 9 piece band takes about 10 minutes (that’s load in and set up); sound check is less than 10 minutes.

I could blather on and on but you get the idea.

BTW, Bob (jazzmammal) the unknown soundman’s saying is: All high’s and all low’s, must be Bose. The reason is that Bose is known for their tiny speakers and a woofer system. Usually the midrange suffers most when listening to a Bose system. This is also true with the Bose L1 Systems (but it’s still way better than most 3 way systems; that’s my opinion).

Tom
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/17/09 06:19 AM
I don't know very much about powered speakers, but I noticed that the system that Mac pointed out only has bass & treble tone controls. Is that normally sufficient, or would you generally use a mixer/graphic EQ to get the right sound on the job?
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/17/09 07:53 AM
A couple of comments Tom, that system you're describing is the full size L1 with the controller that retails for $2,500 so you have three, that's $7,500 right? It better sound good for that kind of dough. Also, I've read articles where they've put meters on the array and they roll off around 12-13K because of no tweeters. That sounds like no highs to me plus the sub's are fairly small and I know they put out good bass at low volumes but what happens when you crank it? My problem is I'm a keyboard player and for small jazz and light rock clubs I use a Barbetta with two 10's and a small horn. I'm sure the L1 would do fine too but I also get hired a lot to do the classic 70's B3 thing with me doing left hand bass with a guitar, sax and drums. Nothing blows up speakers any faster than a cranked organ and bass. For that I haul out my 15" Altec, JBL horn and a 500 watt Peavy head with a mixer, just like you described. We all know the limitations of the 15" horn systems but to date they're the only things that can handle the power peaks in that situation. As it is I've blown out two smaller tweeters over the years with the piano intro to Feelin Alright but my JBL has lasted for quite a while now with no problems. I'm not talking screaming concert volume here, just a normal loud bar. Are you saying a L1 can handle me playing B3 and bass on Chicken Shack at midnight? Man, if so I'll go check it out tomorrow because I sure am tired of hauling that stuff around.

Bob
Posted By: Mac Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/17/09 02:26 PM
Quote:

I don't know very much about powered speakers, but I noticed that the system that Mac pointed out only has bass & treble tone controls. Is that normally sufficient, or would you generally use a mixer/graphic EQ to get the right sound on the job?

These are a totally different concept from what you have experienced in the past.

The small number of user-friendly controls are indeed enough and are part of the design, creating a situation where the user does not have to be a physicist in order to dial in great sound.

The midrange is not a problem in this system to my ears.

Matter of fact, the EQ with both knobs set at 12 o'clock is very good indeed. I might conceive a circumstance where I'd set both bass and treble to 1 o'clock for certain vocals, but that's it. In either case, the midrange control is not needed and IMO would actually get in the way if there.

--Mac
Posted By: Mac Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/17/09 02:36 PM
Quote:

Also, I've read articles where they've put meters on the array and they roll off around 12-13K because of no tweeters.

And then the real question becomes, "Do we really NEED to reproduce the audio spectrum above that level in a sound reinforcement system designed to cover about 100 - 200 people?"

Most of us around here are too old to be able to even hear anything above 12K anyway, think about that.

Quote:

That sounds like no highs to me plus the sub's are fairly small and I know they put out good bass at low volumes but what happens when you crank it?

The resonance design makes for a completely different bass situation than other systems.

Of course, as with any system, there comes a point where people will try to force the system to do more than what it was designed to do (larger room with larger crowd, for example, or the like) and the proper thing to do at that point is to not bring a system designed to provide good coverage for a 100 people audience to a 300 people gig. Bring something more substantial, add more power and speakers to what you ahve, etc.

As for the rest of it, did you notice that I stipulated early on in this thread that these systems were not designed for "pressure cooker" rock situations?

I view the Bose Compact as being another tool in the arsenal, which has a use as defined by its design criteria. You are instead trying to compare it against situations for which it was obviously not designed to handle. The complaint is that you can't hammer nails with the screwdriver.

--Mac
Posted By: tomshannon2 Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/17/09 11:20 PM
Bob,

The ones that I bought are the L1 Model 1 for $1699 ($1700) I also purchased a woofer ($300) with each unit and there was a promotion that allowed me to get an extra woofer for free. So I have 3 L1’s and 4 woofers. One of the L1’s has 2 woofers; our bass player and keyboard player use that one (BTW, our keyboard player plays a B3 patch all the time and we can get the stage to vibrate with bass when we turn it up).

The ones that are $2500 each are the L1 Model 2’s. I still spent a pretty penny ($5800 with a couple of discounts) but 4 ½ years later I still think they were worth it.

The Bose Compact is $999 but I’m really not too familiar with these though.

As far as loudness goes, the room we play at in our church holds about 350 people. We can not turn these units up past 6 on scale of 12 before it is too darn loud (everywhere in the room).

For a working musician, I think these things make life infinitely easier…on your back and your ears (probably not your wallet though). Nice consistent sound every night.

If you live close to a Guitar Center, by all means, go check ‘em out. Another approach would be to order one directly from Bose. You have 45 days to put it through its paces. If you don’t like them, then send it back for a refund.

Go to their website and nose around a bit. Visit the forum too…as I said before, some friendly, helpful people there.

Here’s a link:

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIE...stems/index.jsp

Again, I think I’m sounding like a Bose pitchman but I’m just a satisfied customer.

Tom
Posted By: PeteG Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/18/09 02:18 AM
I've done a couple of open mikes using the Bose system, not sure which one , I was told the system retails for around $2000 and it belongs to Apple Music , a local music store. Anyway, the sound was excellent 3 out of 4 times, the last time they had a fan running to cool the club and the wind from the fan was causing noise and canceling out the sound, but every other time I could hear my guitar and vocal pretty clear and the sound was getting out very nicely. Just a guitar /vocal set up with 2 mikes but I play a lot of damped bass strings and they were coming through clearly.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/18/09 05:36 AM
Here is a one man band using it with keyboard, laptop with backing tracks, various horns, harmonizer, and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM_yqUlsJ1g
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/18/09 06:49 AM
That is very interesting Tom, thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I will go over to GC and check it out. One of those with two subs just might be the ticket if I can get some kind of a deal on it. I'm totally with you and Mac, at my stage in life good enough is good enough if it's easy to carry and set up.

Bob
Posted By: Rachael Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/20/09 03:03 PM
I made it to the music store to check out the Bose L1 Compact. My overall impression is that for the size and weight of it - absolutely amazing. I loaded up my MP3 player with some BIAB arrangements of jazz trios and quartets using RealDrums and RealTracks. I also loaded some cuts from commercial CD's. When we played them, the sound was amazing from almost anywhere I stood. I moved back about 50' in all directions and the L1 still had very nice sound. When I told him some of my gigs were outdoors, we moved the unit outside in the mall. Setup and breakdown is everything it claims to be. It literally took about 30 seconds to break it down. Once outside (again 30 second setup), I could see that it lost some punch but still sounded good from 30'. We never cranked it up to the point where the overload light would turn red. It was always at half volume. How much more it had I am not sure but it was plenty loud for a small venue. I got so involved in playing with the L1, I failed to ask to connect a piano to it. I will do this in a follow-up visit to the store.

Bose also sells a T1 sound module. It's a mixer, reverb, compressor, limiter, etc that works with the L1 series. I think it takes 5 inputs and each channel has typical Bose sound games you can play with. The mic input on the Compact has some sort of built-in Tonematch that optimizes it. I couldn't tell if it add a little reverb but singing through it sounded very nice.

The negatives I could find are:

1. The bass up close (3') seemed a little muddy. Stepping away from the unit, it cleared up. But I could tell when the upright bass was playing that regardless of sound games, capturing the bottom of the bass was a challenge. I think the subwoofer is an 8" and has a low of 60hz. An acoustic bass goes down in the mid 40hz. It sounded very good, it just didn't pound on your chest.

2. Limited expansion. If you want a subwoofer, you are out of luck. You can chain L1's together but this sounds like a bit expensive to me. There is an output jack that we connected to a Roland KC-150. The KC seemed to muddy up the overall sound of the L1. Maybe with a crossover, one could connect a sub.

I'm going back to try some different songs and play keys through it before making a decision. The light weight and easy setup are pulling me in but the sound will be the determining factor.

Rachael
Posted By: Mac Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/20/09 04:11 PM
Hi Rachael,

If the Bass is all-important to you, go back and check out the older Bose models in that lineup that feature the separate subwoofer setup.

s for the Compact system, the pricepoint is much better, the portability is -- to me -- the big thing and of course it is a tradeoff, but for many of the smaller gigs I feel it is a tradeoff that I could live with...

(If not, I would add my own subwoofer system somehow, which would likely be a warranty voider if there is no built in Line Output from which to derive the signal. But I would first shake it down as-is for a good while to see if I couldn't live with it.

--Mac
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/20/09 04:22 PM
Very good review Rachael. I'm curious what you would think of the smaller powered speakers like the 10" JBL Eon's next to the L1 or maybe the 12" Mackies. The big 15's" are probably not a fair comparison because of the cost although like me, if you sometimes need stronger bass there may not be a choice but to go bigger. JBL also has an Eon sub so that with two 10" wouldn't be too bad to move around but then adding that sub pushes the price up. Tom talked about plugging in a second Bose sub and I went on Ebay yesterday looking for L1's and found somebody selling the standalone Bose sub for $249 and according to the writeup, it just plugs in so ask if the store has a second sub you can try. I'm impressed by virtually everyone's comment that the Bose sounds the same on stage as it does 50 feet away without being harsh with very wide dispersion.
I know exactly what you mean when you talk about muddy bass. I've tried everything over the years to get good bass out smaller cabinets and it just doesn't happen. Many years ago I had my bass cab custom built from Altec's handbook. It has a 15" Altec 421H in it and it sounds gorgeous but what a slug to haul around. Luckily, I only need it some of the time.

Bob
Posted By: Mac Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/20/09 04:27 PM
The Bose plugin subwoofers cannot be implemented with the Compact model line.

They work with the older and slightly larger L-1 series setups and be careful to find the right sub to go with the right model L-1.

But the Compact model, they elected not to include subwoofer option as it is intended to be a lower pricepoint offering for the person who has need of a smaller and lighter weight system for the smaller venues.

Comparing these systems to other conventional systems is likely not going to be very fruitful. The other systems are based on the old "projector" designs and sound is focused way out in front of them somewhere, at focal point. The Bose systems are totally different concepts and as such they are designed to disperse sound literally all over the place rather than focused.

I don't view the new Bose Compact as being a replacement for my present sound system at all.

For the larger venues I would want to keep "ole relibable and loud" on the job.

--Mac
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/20/09 07:06 PM
Quote:

The Bose plugin subwoofers cannot be implemented with the Compact model line.

They work with the older and slightly larger L-1 series setups and be careful to find the right sub to go with the right model L-1.

But the Compact model, they elected not to include subwoofer option as it is intended to be a lower pricepoint offering for the person who has need of a smaller and lighter weight system for the smaller venues.

Ah, I didn't see that. Here's the old "catch 22" again. We spend a grand or so just for certain gigs while the other rig stays in storage. Otherwise the bigger L1 with a second sub is going to be $2,500 or so. Your earlier idea of just using anybody's separate sub when needed is probably the best way to go using the Bose Compact version. Of course that kind of thing you can't try out at a store so you just have to buy the stuff and see and so it goes in the life a musician. If you don't like it, on to Craigslist and hope you bought it right.

Bob
Posted By: Rachael Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/20/09 07:51 PM
I initially looked at the new JBL Eon 315. 26 lbs and $1000/pair. They sounded nice but were not very powerful. I listened side by side the 315 and the New Eon 510. The 510 just didn't have the bass of the 315. The 315 is still on my list but the optimum choice is the 515 at 23 lbs but $1600/pair. Plenty of power, reasonably light and good bass. If I can afford it, I'll go with the 515s. I'm shopping around to see if anyone will take my old gear as trade-in.

I wish Bose would have made the new Compact L1 able to use a sub. I'd get the L1 in a flash if I new I could add more bass if needed. The older L1s are too expensive for me. I'm still considering the Compact but am concerned about power for those medium size venues.

Still contemplating and always looking for advice.

Thanks
R
Posted By: John Conley Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/20/09 09:51 PM
I too went, while in Toronto the last 3 days drop in and hear one, actually at the real Bose Store at Bloor Radio, and at Long and McQuade. The tracks I listened to were ok for bass. I wondered about taking the earphone out to bass amp after reading the posts, I take the headphone out and stick it into my Roland cube with the bass cranked and the treble and mid dead. I found that best, without going to a rack with a crossover and bass bin.
Posted By: Mac Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/20/09 10:40 PM
Good idea, John, the headphone out can indeed function as a Line Out to crossover and powered subwoofer.

--Mac
Posted By: tomshannon2 Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/22/09 07:19 PM
When the original L1 Model 1’s first came out, there was a great deal of discussion on the Bose forum regarding having sufficient bass output even though you could use 2 woofers with the Model 1. Subsequently, Bose produced a device called a Packlite so that you could use 4 woofers with a single L1 Model 1. As I’ve said previously, I have 2 woofers on a single L1 and can get the stage to vibrate so I can only imagine what it’s like have 4 woofers! So based on the earliest posts on the original systems, I am a little surprised that Bose didn’t have a way to hook up another bass unit to the Compact. But as Mac said earlier, it was for cost considerations.

From what I can gather, the L1 Compact is designed for rooms with 100 people or less. The Model 1 and Model 2 versions are for rooms up to 500 people.

For musicians that play larger venues, most of them will plug directly into their Bose systems and use it as their stage monitors because of the excellent clarity of sound and feed the house systems from the line outs of the Bose. This is how Steve Miller and Todd Rungren use their systems. I saw the Flatlanders about a month ago at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago and they used 3 Model 1’s (I do not remember their woofer setup) and fed the house system.

I do realize the cost of the Model 1 or 2 is prohibitive in many cases. But if I was a regular gigging musician who had to set up 2 PA speakers, a board, cables running every where…I would get tired of that quickly…as a matter of fact, I do have a little side business where I record school concerts and I AM sick and tired of hauling my 16 track recorder, 100’s of feet of cable, setting up anywhere from 4 to 16 microphones and then tearing it all down after the concert and hauling it out…so I can empathize with gigging musicians totally. Being 52 yo, the ease of load in, setup, tear down, and load out would be a significant factor in my sound system choice…and in the case of the Model 1 and 2, the sound is excellent in my experience (I can’t speak of the Compact though).

Bob, if it’s financially feasible for you, I think you would be very pleased with the advantages of the Bose system (sound and setup/tear down). There is the 45 day return policy (no questions asked) from Bose. Their customer service is excellent, similar to the over-the-top excellent CS from PGMusic.

BTW, I’m on vacation so that’s why I haven’t chimed in earlier. I am only looking at the forum every few days

Tom
Posted By: ColoradoGuy Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/25/09 02:11 PM
Rachael,

Since this thread has gravitated to a discussion of the Bose system, here are a few notes I made to myself after a hands-on test I did in 2005. I tested the original L-1 Personal Amplification System, before the compact model was available, so please keep that context in mind.

I posted this material on this forum once before, but I offer it again in light of the current discussion.

For what it's worth, I'm generally a big fan of Bose products. I have four (rather ancient) Model 800 cabinets that I've used for over 30 years for my PA system (Shure Vocalmaster), guitar, and electric bass (yup), and they've always sounded fantastic. But the original L-1 system has its drawbacks, despite the terrific sound. Read on...

BOSE Personal Amplification System – Hands-on Test, 03/07/05

Tested system at Guitar Center, 86th and Sheridan, Arvada, Colorado. Configuration included L1 Cylindrical Radiator speaker column, PS1 Power Stand, R1 remote control, and one B1 Bass Module. Testing was done with guitar (Buscarino Jazzcaster) and microphone (Shure SM-58) over a 45-minute period. Here are my observations:

1. Guitar sounded very good and clean at low to moderate volumes.

2. Mic sound was excellent.

3. I found that while Bose product literature advertises “nearly 180-degree sound dispersal”, high frequencies began to drop off noticeably at about 70 degrees from center, which translates to a full-frequency dispersal range of about 140 degrees.

4. The L1 speaker column is a two-piece unit that requires the PS1 Power Stand, both to physically support it, and electrically connect to it. Each piece of the speaker column weighs an estimated 25 - 30 lbs. When assembled and mounted on the Power Stand, the column stands approx. seven feet tall, which gives it a very high center of gravity. Consequently, it seems especially prone to being knocked over. The assembled column is approximately 4 ½” in diameter and contains a total of sixteen front-facing 2” speakers, spaced on approx. 4” – 5” centers. The speaker column has no amplifier jacks or connectors other than the proprietary connectors to the matching Power Stand, which precludes using the speaker column with any other amplifier.

5. The PS1 Power Stand is approx. two feet in diameter, 6” – 8” tall, and weighs an estimated 35 lbs. It houses a four-channel amplifier with numerous input and output options, no on-board effects, and no obvious connectors for any other external speakers. Only two of the channels have ¼” input jacks. Its sizable footprint (relative to the thin speaker column) together with its low height makes it a hazard to trip over, especially on a dark, small stage or bandstand.

6. The B1 Bass Module is a floor-mounted self-contained amp and speaker, and was connected to the PS1 Power Stand for the test. However, standing 5 - 15 away, I was unable to hear any sound at all coming from it. The store employee who assisted with the test had to get down on the floor and put his head within a foot of the unit to confirm that there was sound.

7. I’m suspicious of the fact that Bose publishes no specs for this system. Many potential users would want to know basic data such as output R.M.S. and peak wattage and speaker-column impedance. Admittedly, this may be a moot point, since by design, each component of this system can be used only with the others.

8. Price: The Guitar Center is apparently the only authorized dealer in the Denver area for these units, and sells them at the full M.S.R.P. of $1,699.99 for the basic amp / speaker unit and $1,999.98 including one Bass Module. No discount.

9. A very curious phenomenon: as I increased the guitar’s volume, notes seemed to go sharp; e.g., a low G played on the 6th string sounded ¼-tone sharp. Also noticed it when playing G octave notes on the 1st and 4th strings; the 4th-string G sounded ¼-tone sharp. Conclusion: most likely due to overtones from room acoustics.

Evaluation: while the system sounds fantastic and the construction quality is excellent, it is too large, too heavy, and too much an on-stage safety hazard to appeal to me. It is also overpriced in terms of perceived value. That said, I certainly found the LS1 speaker column to be uniquely innovative. When Bose can design and build a system that’s half the size and weight, half the footprint, and half the price of this system while maintaining the same quality of sound, I’ll buy it in a New York heartbeat!

Jon
Posted By: John Conley Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/25/09 06:11 PM
I tested with my ears the latest version of that L1. Very lightweight. You could plug the top of the column into the base without the other 2 parts. The 3 pieces in the column weigh about 4 pounds.
The sound was exceptional. I played light jazz from my blackberry into the system. The bass was good. They brough out a shure 57 mic and stood 2 feet in front of the unit and there was no feedback!

I suggest they've improved the product, and that you'd have to go with your gear and try it out. The price on the L1 was $999. CDN or about 825USD.
Posted By: Mac Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/25/09 06:41 PM
Quote:

I suggest they've improved the product, and that you'd have to go with your gear and try it out. The price on the L1 was $999. CDN or about 825USD.

Yet they are marketing the Bose L-1 Compact system here for $999.00US and there are no price breaks.

Bose could make a killing on this product if they'd simply open up their marketing scheme to allow for the competitive pricing standard to kick in and work...

--Mac
Posted By: ColoradoGuy Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/26/09 04:32 AM
John –

Your observation about the lack of acoustic feedback from the Bose system is one of the big reasons I’m a fan of their cabinets. Although I don’t use the L-1 system discussed above, it’s worth emphasizing the advantage of Bose speaker systems in feedback reduction. Sorry I failed to mention it in my post above.

When I use my Bose 800 cabs in a P.A. configuration, I typically position two of them at the left and right rear corners of the bandstand area on tripod stands, at a height of about 6 – 7 feet, and face the speakers pointing toward the diagonally-opposite corners of the room. In other words, before reaching the audience, the sound must first pass above and “through” the band.

There are two extra bonuses to this setup:

1. The band hears exactly what the audience hears (unlike the more common method of setting the P.A. speakers out in front of the band). If the volume is comfortable for us, it’s plenty loud enough for the audience.
2. On-stage monitors are completely unnecessary – less stuff to carry.

With five Shure mics on stage, feedback has never been a problem – even in good-sized rooms with upwards of 500 people in the audience. With most other P.A. speakers, this setup would not only invite feedback, it would be virtually guaranteed! But not with the Bose cabinets.

In a similar vein, I’ll never forget a wedding I once played. Bandstand space was extremely tight. I brought my P.A., but there wasn’t enough room for the usual pair of tripod speaker stands. I had to set just one Bose cabinet on top of my Fender Showman head, which in turn sat atop a Kustom bass cabinet (two 15” speakers). This brought the Bose cabinet about 5 ½ feet above the floor – just about head level. Due again to the tight quarters, I had to stand directly in front of this stack of stuff, with my vocal mic pointed right at the Bose cabinet, a distance of 2 – 3 feet. Only my head separated the two.

Much to my amazement, I was able to talk and sing through the mic at a volume adequate to fill the room without a bit of feedback! I attribute this to three factors:

A. The Bose 800 cabinet, which has the speakers mounted on two facets that direct the sound away from dead center, but rather a bit to each side.
B. The use of a very directional Shure mic.
C. Keeping the volume down to a very sensible level.

For me, the combination of Shure mics, a Shure P.A. head, and Bose cabinets has proven to virtually eliminate feedback.

Jon
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/26/09 05:34 AM
I heard a one-man-band use one of these in an L-shaped room, where he was at the corner of the L - each leg of the L about 20'x40' (wedding reception) and I was quite impressed.

The points made by ColoradoGuy - particularly the very minimal setup this guy had to fill this room AND the lack of a monitoring system was very impressed.

That day, I made a vow, if I have to gig that way, I'm going to save up for one of those systems.

I know that everyone here is not necessarily a fan of Bose (I particularly don't like their home stereo setups - never had proper midrange), but I was impressed by this personal amplification system.

Now, on the 801 front - I used to use those things with a traveling choir I was with in High School. I was in the choir, but we all had roadie duty of some kind. Mine was setting up mains (we used either 2 or 4 801's and good old Peavey amps (can't remember the model)) and EQing the mains for the room. Those 801's were in use for many years before I was in the choir and many years after. Every weekend, with kids setting them up and beating them up and throwing them under the bus (where we kept our gear). They lived in the outdoors, in other words, in Michigan. They are still cranking away. I was in the choir from '81 to '85. We also had a set of I believe the model was 401 speakers (wooden cabinets vs. the injection molded cases on the 801's). I think Bose may have pioneered use of injection molded cases for PA speakers. Can't confirm that, but seems like everyone else was using vinyl covered wood (heavy).

We played in churches of all manner of sizes. Biggest gig was 1/2time show at the Pontiac Silverdome, where the Detroit Pistons used to play in a corner of the floor of the stadium. They had the court and portable stands curtained off from the 3/4 of the football field that wasn't used. We set up behind the curtain for our 1/2time concert (and not very many people made the trip to the 'choir behind the curtain'.

Anyhow, to get those 801's to project a little bit, the Pistons had set up some scaffolding for us - maybe 4 stories worth. The local crew hauled the 801's up on top of those things with some pulleys and the set them on the speaker pole mounts, so that they were kind of aiming down.

Now, what they didn't do was tie them down!. Some kids were fooling around on the field (after all, it was the Lion's astroturf - gotta get in a game of duct-tape football) and bumped into the scaffolding.

One of those 801's got to rocking and eventually plummeted to the Silverdome floor. No teenagers were hurt in this test.

No, the injection molded case did not survive. In fact, that thing basically looked like it exploded. Speakers flew everywhere from the carnage. I still have one of the magnets from one of the drivers in that thing. It's a strong sucker.

So, to make a long story short - Don't put your Bose up on 4 stories of scaffolding without anchoring them, and you'll probably get years of service.
Posted By: Mac Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/26/09 04:20 PM
Quote:

... (we used either 2 or 4 801's and good old Peavey amps (can't remember the model)) and EQing the mains for the room. ...

More than likely either the venerable old CS-400 or CS-800 designs.

Tanks.

I believe an outfit called Community Sound were the first to do composite speaker baffle designs. The old CommunitySound "Googa Mooga" cabinets...

Stadium Engineer was one lucky dude. Anybody flying cabinets without safety chains or cables is asking for the lawsuit that kills a career.

--Mac
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/27/09 05:01 AM
Quote:

More than likely either the venerable old CS-400 or CS-800 designs.

Tanks.

I believe an outfit called Community Sound were the first to do composite speaker baffle designs. The old CommunitySound "Googa Mooga" cabinets...

Stadium Engineer was one lucky dude. Anybody flying cabinets without safety chains or cables is asking for the lawsuit that kills a career.

--Mac

Mac,

Actually, I think we used both of those models - one for floor wedges and the others to drive the Bose. I do remember the 801's had a crossover unit that snapped into the lid, which snapped on the speaker housing.

Community, I believe, is now owned by Loud - same company as Mackie.

Yes, the crew at the Silverdome was lucky as were we. Needless to say it kind of put a damper on things. Our director was not a happy guy that day!

-Scott
Posted By: John Conley Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/27/09 10:06 AM
Quote:

I know that everyone here is not necessarily a fan of Bose (I particularly don't like their home stereo setups - never had proper midrange), but I was impressed by this personal amplification system.

Can anyone substantiate the above based on the current models available. I am sure that like the L! advances have been made, but I need a compact system to take with me once I sell the 4 level side split that is almost empty.
Posted By: Shackman Re: Recommendations for PA - 06/27/09 12:00 PM
Did somebody say Loud?

I heard 2 roadies joking after a load in to a gig years ago when I was a cadet reprter on a music paper.

Apparently JBL stood for "just bloody loud".

(!)

J.
© PG Music Forums