PG Music Home
Posted By: David Snyder New Google Chrome - 09/05/18 05:28 PM

Last night I logged in to see a new and horrendous looking Google Chrome.

With one tab open it sucks up more resources than Cakewalk Bandlab running 24 tracks with 14 VSTs, 4 tracks with samples, and 3 tools on the master bus including Waves J-37 tape emulator.

The new Chrome actually uses more CPU and RAM. Why????

I shut it down and downloaded Firefox. Has anyone else experienced this? What are they thinking???
Posted By: Mikke Re: New Google Chrome - 09/05/18 05:43 PM
Hey David,

Running the new Chrome myself, haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Do you have any extensions? A bad extension can eat up a lot of CPU power.

There is a whole host of reasons one could have these issues including web connectivity, proxy servers, extensions, improper setup, malware, etc.

Currently running about ten tabs and my Chrome is taking about 3% CPU, which is pretty average.

Perhaps reach out to Google and see if they can give you some configurations to try out. Out of all the browsers, I keep coming back to Chrome.

Keep us updated!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New Google Chrome - 09/05/18 06:01 PM

Mikke,

I went into task manager and saw about 14 instances running as process trees, so I killed them and restarted and it is more in the normal range.

I do have Norton Internet Security, no malware, and no extensions except for Norton.

There is some internet discussion on how the new Chrome is a resource hog FWIW.

Don't know more than that at the moment.
Posted By: furry Re: New Google Chrome - 09/05/18 06:32 PM
I have 9 running under chrome but only taking up a total of 2 % of my cpu. 508 mb of memory
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: New Google Chrome - 09/09/18 09:03 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

I shut it down and downloaded Firefox.

Now.... DL Duck Duck Go as your search engine.....
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: New Google Chrome - 09/09/18 11:51 PM
Every plug in you use shows up as a Chrome process. Between ad blockers and flash players and all of that, I have 11 add-ons running, so I show 12 Chrome processes. Look at the consumption of each process rather than how many times it says Chrome.
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: New Google Chrome - 09/10/18 01:19 PM
I don't personally use anything other then Chrome. I haven't had any issues with CPU hogging with it. I used to be a huge Mozilla fan but one day Chrome just ... evolved and I switched over.
© PG Music Forums