PG Music Home
This month, the KVR monthly song contest threw us a curve - write 3, 1 minute songs.

If you've ever tried to write a 1 minute tune, you'll appreciate how difficult it is, and how brilliant some commercial jingle writers must be.

Here's my first one - I called it: "Caballeroito", which in my Tarzanspanish means 'Little Cowboy'.

I used several instances of Guitar Rig 3 LE - the free one that came with Computer Music last month. It's becoming my new favorite amp simulator.

Also used VB3 on an 'Italian Transistor' setting for the organ. Jamstix jamming along with RMIV for drums.

rockstar_not - Cabellroito

Funny made, me think more of a secret agent than a cowboy. Anyway a fun minute.
The perfect spaghetti western soundtrack. Where’s Eastwood when you need him?

Loved it!
Excellent tracking Scott. It does sound like Secret Agent Man, LOL.

Awesome job with the guitars, they sound fantastic !!

Fun one to listen too.

Trax
Is this a melody that's already been used? It's pretty simple and formulaic. I did just hit YouTube for 'Secret Agent Man' and while orchestration is similar, I don't think I inadvertently ripped off that particular melody.

I should have put in some whip cracking sounds for accents to give it the cowboy legitimacy!

Believe it or not, I was going for a vibe of Radiohead's new song, "these are my twisted words" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ztWvuyXeU

But I got sidetracked and realized I couldn't fit it into a minute - the vibe that Radiohead developed in their tune. Their thing gets interesting for me at about the 1:35 minute mark. Then there is a simple guitar riff that repeats over and over in the left channel that drives the rhythm in a compelling way - almost as if the drum track didn't exist but is there as a little decoration. By the end of the song, that riff migrates to the right channel and there is some ambient kind of trip-out stuff going on in the left channel. Lots of playing with delay and reverb. I dig that immensely.

I don't necessarily like how the guy sings, but it seems to fit with their glitchy space rock kind of vibe they have in some of their songs. For those of you that are older, you might actually like them if you were into some psychadelica type stuff in the 60's. It's not the same, but try it, you might like it.
Very sweet little mix!

Ennio Morricone, eat your heart out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmSjbnbR_pQ

Brad
Posted By: JEP Re: 1 minute cowboy instrumental - Caballero-ito - 10/12/09 07:05 AM
Rockstar, that's a lovely track! Very atmospheric - well played and programmed. Must try Jamstix someday soon... Will keep track on the next two on kvr. Thanks!

J
IE stalled when opening the file. I will try again tonight on the desktop with Safari.
Make sure to check out some of the other 1-minute songs. http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=264957&start=15

Pay particular attention to me109 - 3 excellent 1 minute stories that seem much longer.
Nice job. Reminds me of secret agent man but in a VERY good way.
rharv just pointed out that this song has had over 4500 views. Now I know my fan base isn't that big here at PG Music! Very weird.

It could be that I put in a YouTube link to a Radiohead song that might show up on a google search. Nope, doesn't come up in the first few pages on Google.

Very Strange.
© PG Music Forums